Stupidly forgot my MOT!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkJunedd

Car
98 CLK320 Sport
I realised this morning that my tax was up at the end of the month, renewal had been filed away, as it does. Then it dawned on me that the test was up ! Checked the mot and it expires tomorrow !!!! A few phone calls around local test centres and one had a slot at 1:30 so car was taken down blind with fingers crossed and buttocks clenched . 45mins later ,fresh ticket !! and no Advisorys !!! Happy days :thumb:

Well, you're clearly not anything like as organised as me..........

• Home office with 4 x 4 drawer filing cabinets, all properly ordered
  • A wall planner, right above the desk, with all key events in my immediate eye line
  • A background in project/programme management
  • Sole responsibility for administering the fleet (well, two cars)

I only let the wife drive around for 6 weeks without an MOT :eek:

Well, you're clearly not anything like as organised as me..........

• Home office with 4 x 4 drawer filing cabinets, all properly ordered
  • A wall planner, right above the desk, with all key events in my immediate eye line
  • A background in project/programme management
  • Sole responsibility for administering the fleet (well, two cars)

I only let the wife drive around for 6 weeks without an MOT :eek:

How often does your wife need testing?:eek:

I'm the same, run my business from home and have a large office in one of the bedrooms.

Everything filed neatly in 4 cabinets, 1 solely for domestic shyte.

3K Computer and fancy software for programming customer appointments and service schedules etc etc.

.............................. found out Wifey's car MOT was 4 weeks gone when the online Vehicle Tax website computer said NO!

:eek:

I think most of us have been down this rd. it's just so easy to forget no matter how organised you.

I don't think organised is a word I can use to describe my self.

Guys, have you ever thought of letting the wife organise everything?

Works a treat in our house.

Guys, have you ever thought of letting the wife organise everything?

Are you kidding ???? I'd end up with a wardrobe full of shoes i'd never wear, a car that runs with the fuel light on permanently and living on museli !!!!!

I realised this morning that my tax was up at the end of the month, renewal had been filed away, as it does. Then it dawned on me that the test was up ! Checked the mot and it expires tomorrow !!!! A few phone calls around local test centres and one had a slot at 1:30 so car was taken down blind with fingers crossed and buttocks clenched . 45mins later ,fresh ticket !! and no Advisorys !!! Happy days :thumb:

Oddly, I think you could have done this anyway - just go online, and the computer only checks you have current insurance and current MOT - which you did, at least for that day. You can then continue on to pay and renew online as normal.

Don't think I've ever gone that close to the wire for tax and MOT, but I did do this on my classic MG a couple of weeks ago - MOT had less than 2 weeks to run, and no problems renewing (and no cost either:D)

Oddly, I think you could have done this anyway - just go online, and the computer only checks you have current insurance and current MOT - which you did, at least for that day. You can then continue on to pay and renew online as normal.

Is the online system really that vague ??? Surely it wont let you tax a car if the disc expires 1 day after the test ? I hear what your saying though because technically the car did have a valid test if for example i taxed it on line on wednesday . Would just be suprised if it what you say is really the case ,seems open to abuse to me.

Last edited:
many years ago when i moved to scotland i went for about 6 months without an MOT as i'd completely forgotton about it!

you learn though as i havnt forgotton it since!

couldnt happen nowadays of course with the cameras etc

Is the online system really that vague ??? Surely it wont let you tax a car if the disc expires 1 day after the test ? I hear what your saying though because technically the car did have a valid test if for example i taxed it on line on wednesday . Would just be suprised if it what you say is really the case ,seems open to abuse to me.

Sorry, missed your question at the time. I think it's not so much a case of the system being vague as a case of it being precise. I had a similar thing some years back buying a tax disc at the post office, where I duly presented an in date MOT and the insurance certificate that was due to take effect at 00.01 the next day. I got sent away and told to come back with the current insurance certificate. So yes I think they do only look at the snapshot on the day.

The MOT certificate has to run until at least the first day of the new tax period. So if the MOT expires before the tax is due, it's not possible to renew early even if the MOT certificate is valid for today. The same goes for the Insurance.

Selling the CL500 I only realized it didn't have an mot when I dug out the paperwork for the new owner - passed luckily as new owner has already paid for it and I'm dropping it off Sunday - That was close.

Years ago I managed to buy a tax disc at a Post Office using an insurance certificate that was due to expire that night (which I may have mentioned on here before).

I went in certain that I'd be turned away and would have to wait for the new certificate to arrive in the post, but the cashier confirmed that it only had to be valid on the day that the tax disc was issued. It may well also be the case that this does not apply if the start date of the tax disc is after the expiry of the certificate, but this did not apply in my case.

Hi all,

I hope you don't mind me posting as a new member with some info on this. I created a mot reminder website called motremind.me after forgetting my MOT a few times. I am a classic car enthusiast so have been posting on a few forums trying to help with mots.

Some useful links

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/the-mot-test getting a MOT
https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status-vehicle check if your vehicle has a MOT
http://motremind.me

The dvla offer a SMS reminder but its £1.50. My site MOTRemind.me is a free MOT reminder service that sends you email MOT reminders that your vehicle's MOT is about to expire. It's totally free so you'll never forget your MOT again!

I hope this info is of some use to you all and sorry to moderators if this seems spammy :)

Stewart

Last edited:
Hi all,

I hope you don't mind me posting as a new member with some info on this. I created a mot reminder website called motremind.me after forgetting my MOT a few times. I am a classic car enthusiast so have been posting on a few forums trying to help with mots.

Some useful links

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/the-mot-test getting a MOT
https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status-vehicle check if your vehicle has a MOT<A href="http://motremind.me/" target=_blank sl-processed="1">
http://motremind.me

The dvla offer a SMS reminder but its £1.50. My site MOTRemind.me is a free MOT reminder service that sends you email MOT reminders that your vehicle's MOT is about to expire. It's totally free so you'll never forget your MOT again!

I hope this info is of some use to you all and sorry to moderators if this seems spammy :)

Stewart

Sounds like a great idea, I'm going to take a look.

I have to manage 53 vehicles in our fleet
I use 66848 MOT reminder service - I get 3 reminders 30 days before MOT, 2 weeks before and last with word URGENT 1 day before MOT. Also I get notification if vehicle passed MOT.
Of cause plus to this I have spread sheet with all MOT dates and Taxs dates.

How do I change the password?

That's something coming soon as its still quite new. Will update you on this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom