Sub cutting out at high volume

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GordyB

I have a 99 CLK and the setup is aftermarket head unit, standard front and rear speakers ran from head unit, sub in box in boot ran by a caliber amp bridged down to one 150wRMS channel. When I turn the volume up past a certain point I can hear the sub intermittently switch off then back on etc. etc. as if it's either not getting enough power or it's overheating and cutting out. Lower the volume and it's back to normal. I didn't think it was a powerful enough system to need a power cap?? Any suggestions or tests I can try to find the problem?

Thanks

"high volume" is a subjective term and will be mean different things to many people. Your definition of high volume might be normal to some and ear bleeding to others.
However.............
What I suspect is that your sub box has is a built-in power limiter which is designed to protect the voice coil overheating and frying itself. Its probably because your sub cant handle the full 150 watts and is switching off at the peak power levels.
Either be content with what you have or buy a sub box which is rated at least 300 watts to prevent this from happening and/or doing damage.
But that's all guess work.....................

how high is the gain turned up on the amp? And are we talking "loud" volume when you say turn it up past a certain point? If you are trying to achive a big sound with the sub, 150w RMS is not much. My guess work is your amp is not man enough.

Those two replies should leave you right where you started, lol. Sorry.

Sounds like overheating to me. Possibly failing output stages on amp.

id agree with the above, the amp is cutting out or the sub is arching and sending the amp into protection mode, have a search on talkaudio.co.uk, they will all prob say the same!

Hooray!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom