Subaru drivers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

timskemp

MB Enthusiast
Car
W213 E220d
Are they getting more cautious in their old age, or are the cars getting slower? Or are diesel family saloon cars just getting quicker?

I think there aren't as many Imprezas about now, although I still see a lot of the Legacy range about. When my parents had the Legacy and then Imprezas, it was just before the Impreza really took off amongst boy racers. Latterly, insurance costs rocketed due to so many being stolen, and also because they were becoming affordable to buy for boy racers. I think they went through a phase of being very popular with people who drove like nutters, but this group has grown up, and now a Subaru is back to doing what it used to do, building a very capable and reliable car.
I agree that 'ordinary' cars are now able to keep up with a lot of recent 'performance' cars, so that's probably part of it too.

It could be down to the price of fuel as their only supposed to run on the higher octane fuels. A couple of years back a friend of mine bought an Impreza with Prodrive upgrades and it used to cost him a fortune in fuel, another had a tuned 2-door which on a quick blast he would get 4MPG from it :eek:

On the other hand from some of the figures from the higher output VAG and BMW diesels, id imagine they would be able to hold a bit of ground in the mid range stuff, like pulling away from round-a-bouts.

Last edited:
It doesn't help that their recent models almost universally appear to have been beaten senseless with the ugly stick several times at the design stage. Loyal fans stuck with them through several incarnations [ the previous legacy wasn't at all bad imho] wooed by their superb performance and handling but there is a limit!

Are they getting more cautious in their old age, or are the cars getting slower? Or are diesel family saloon cars just getting quicker?

I've noticed a few have joined this forum having traded their Subaru's in for any MB with the 320CDi engine. I think fuel prices are killing performance cars except for the very few who can afford it & the large diesels have the torque & acceleration without the high fuel bill.

Russ

Anyone with eyes that don't need correction bought the Evo instead when they saw the latest version come out.

Anyone with eyes that don't need correction bought the Evo instead when they saw the latest version come out.

The hatchback Impreza is fugly for sure, but they realized their mistake and now they've got a saloon version as well, which doesn't look too bad I think:

car_photo_400180_25.jpg

car_photo_400177_25.jpg

Although, I think quad exhaust is not necessary on this....

AFAIK The Americans had the 4 door saloon from the off. Someone decided the UK market only needed the hatchback version. Go figure! :dk:

Subarus have always been ugly, they just used to be ugly with menace so it worked.

There are a few kids that drive them but not many, it is one of those weird things, they have a chav image for some reason but as a former scooby owner I can say the club members are far from it. The only way to afford one is to be in decent employment and a bit older. Finding insurance if you are under 25 means having your trousers taken down by someone.

On the flip side I could get 30mpg from mine no problem but yes, super unleaded only so not cheap. The C180 goes 100 miles further for the same fuel cost. However, the confidence in the wet etc was great and passing things was a doddle!

m.

I've upset a few Subaru drivers on the road with mine :D

Them cars are not that quick anymore.

Agreed. Quad exhausts are OK on cars with engines that deserve to have 4 pipes at the back :D Not 2.5l LOL

But a 2.5 litre turbo is roughly equivalent to a 5 litre normally aspirated engine in the amount of exhaust flow. I had a 2 litre turbo some years ago and the back box rotted, the exhaust place never had the correct box but said they had one for a 2.8litre Granada which would do, unfortunately it also strangled the engine as the exhaust could not pass through it quick enough.

Russ

The older (standard) UK scoobies were really rather sedate.

1995 WRX Wagon had only 220 bhp for instance which is going to see them get left behind by warm 'hot hatch' now.

However tuning is so popular with scooby owners making it often impossible to guestimate the performance. See also evo's and cosworths.

You probably ran into a rare standard one.

I've upset a few Subaru drivers on the road with mine :D

Them cars are not that quick anymore.

Oh yes they are just over 4 secs 0 -60 mph from a 270 bhp engine, even better if it's like mine running 300 bhp full Rally spec. It's just the drivers are getting older and don't drive them as hard :D never been beaten by anything in the traffic light grand prix and when the engine spits back at them with flames out of the exhaust on the over run they know they've lost :D Game over :thumb:

Last edited:
The older (standard) UK scoobies were really rather sedate.

1995 WRX Wagon had only 220 bhp for instance which is going to see them get left behind by warm 'hot hatch' now.

But even those were 0-60 in 6s. That's more than warm hatch territory and even few hot hatches match that performance. Modern cars are significantly heavier than the original Subaru, which dulls their performance.

Last edited:
But even those were 0-60 in 6s. That's more than warm hatch territory and even few hot hatches match that performance. Modern cars are significantly heavier than the original Subaru, which dulls their performance.

No I think you will find that is 4 wheel drive. To launch a 'magazine timed' scooby rev round to 6k rpm and dump clutch.. blistering 0-60 for the power.

Take a current FWD hot hatch with similar power and it's goodbye 1995 WRX scooby on a roll. And 220 bhp in a hot hatch now is only warm IMHO.

I do have a mild hankering for a Forester Estate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom