Subaru estate - Outback or Legacy Diesel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It felt more C180 than C320!
Not a fair comparison I know but once I got back in my S320cdi it showed just how weak the 2.5 was.
The x trail didn't feel much slower to be honest and in slow speed traffic the 2.2 DCI did a much better job with it's low down torque.

Once, just once I went for Japanese (Mitsubishi) and will never again for sure. Interior and comfort can not be compared to germans. Everything inside looks so cheap. Recently I was looking for estate and bought myself Audi A6 2.4 125kW

I appreciate what you're saying but I've only ever had bad experiences with VAG myself.
I never find them comfortable compared to the MB equivalent and they feel a lot cheaper inside to me.

The X trail is definitely 100 notches down on the quality feel, but it does feel rugged and was very comfortable.

I didn't even consider an Audi as they all look ugly to my eyes and the A6 will only tow 1800kg. The equivalent E class will pull 2100kg.

I was initially looking for a smaller estate anyway, something C class size. Through a bit of research and discussion i've honed in on what I really need at the moment and the X trail fills the gap in my fleet quite well. I sold my Jeep Grand Cherokee around new years as it just wasn't being used but I could have really done with it for this past month!!

I appreciate what you're saying but I've only ever had bad experiences with VAG myself.
I never find them comfortable compared to the MB equivalent and they feel a lot cheaper inside to me.

The X trail is definitely 100 notches down on the quality feel, but it does feel rugged and was very comfortable.

I didn't even consider an Audi as they all look ugly to my eyes and the A6 will only tow 1800kg. The equivalent E class will pull 2100kg.

I was initially looking for a smaller estate anyway, something C class size. Through a bit of research and discussion i've honed in on what I really need at the moment and the X trail fills the gap in my fleet quite well. I sold my Jeep Grand Cherokee around new years as it just wasn't being used but I could have really done with it for this past month!!

I was looking for W211 estate and all I found were high milers so went for this A6. I don't tow so pulling was not of importance. Front wheel drive feels a bit strange but will get used to it eventually.
Have you considered Shogun if you need car for towing? I've heard some good feedbacks on those.

I know what you mean about all the leggy ex fleet mb estates, that's what has brought me down this path.

I've used an old 1996 pajero a fair bit previously and it does the job and is nice and comfy but boy does it like a drink! It also feels like a proper hefty tank compared to the x trail.

Neighbour a couple of doors down has a 2002 shogun and he loves it, but again, the drinking problem is making him look elsewhere for his next vehicle. He uses his for camping trips and the likes and averages under 25mpg.
Reports from x trail owners say I can expect to achieve the published figures quite easily. (40mpg).

The car I looked at this evening had great spec and looked mint throughout but was a really sloppy drive compared to the one the other day. Probably needed a load of suspension bushes and something on the gear selector linkage as well.
Seller wouldn't budge on price so I walked away.
I'm not too fussy on spec, only must have is cruise control. Unfortunately this isn't a common extra on x trails I've found out!!

Last edited:
Once, just once I went for Japanese (Mitsubishi) and will never again for sure. Interior and comfort can not be compared to germans. Everything inside looks so cheap. Recently I was looking for estate and bought myself Audi A6 2.4 125kW

This siort of comment always confuses me! Surely it looked cheap and was uncomfortable on the test drive so why buy it?

Japanese cars can be fantastic engineering wise (oh and these days they are generally rust proof too - ahem ;) ), but they do not do and have never done good interiors... you don't buy one for its interior!

This siort of comment always confuses me! Surely it looked cheap and was uncomfortable on the test drive so why buy it?

Japanese cars can be fantastic engineering wise (oh and these days they are generally rust proof too - ahem ;) ), but they do not do and have never done good interiors... you don't buy one for its interior!

It was cheapest 7seater at the time. If car interior is dull, I can't live with it more than 3 months.
Can you please give some example of Japanese engineering ingenuity in car industry?

Can you please give some example of Japanese engineering ingenuity in car industry?

The rear seats in the Honda Jazz I once owned were ingenious - as well as the normal split/fold backs the bases could be flipped up and back to create a clear loadspace in the middle of the car that went from the floorpan right up to the roof.

If you want build quality you go German, if you want reliability you go Japanese.

We often interchange the 2 but in reality they are quite different.

My parents had a hiace super custom limited many years ago. (1991 ish)
It had ice cube maker, fridge and coffee maker all built into the front arm rest.
Super huge sunroof in the middle and at least 2 other sunroofs I remember.

The middle row of chairs could be rotated 180 to face forward or backwards and we could do it with 3 kids seated on the row whilst driving which was fun for us.
Electric sliding door.
All of the blinds were electric, I mean all of them.
"Joyful talk" intercom system between driver and rear passengers - like being on a plane.
The soft ride was a little floaty, but it was more comfortable and spacious than my dads brand new W140 he had at the time.

We loved it and although they tried to replace it many times, it just never died and we never took to the new vehicles so the hiace super custom was always kept as a second vehicle. Being a large family we went through W124 estate and limo, W210 estate, Toyota Lucida (previa import), V Class, Chevrolet G20 day van, ML270cdi.
None of them were a patch on the super custom.

It had just 1 downside, looks. On the outside and inside it looked terrible, more 70s than 90s!

Does a Prius count?
Nissan GTR?

What about Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki motorbikes?

Does a Prius count?
Nissan GTR?

What about Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki motorbikes?

I'll not comment Prius.
GTR is lovely high performer and I love it as such, but if we are discussing about ingenuity there is nothing new and revolutionary coming from Japan. Actually the only thing I can remember is Subarus diesel boxer, and still only Subaru runs it. Ingenuity I can see only at Mercedes, Citroën. Those two brands set the standards while others just try to follow. Just look what Merc has done with new S-class and all previous ones. This is what I'm talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom