Subaru Isle of Man TT Record Attempt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whilst it looks fast, its worth bearing in mind that John McGuiness beat that time way back in 1999 by a reasonable margin on a little 250cc bike.

On a proper bike he's nearly 4 minutes faster than the Subaru.

A fact that is sending Subaru owners the world over into a froth it seems, with claims that a "600hp prepared machine would match the bikes" :D

I daren't point out to them that the record was previously set in 1990 by that pinnacle of sporting prowess, the Rover 827 Vitesse (even if it was heavily fettled)

Whilst it looks fast, its worth bearing in mind that John McGuiness beat that time way back in 1999 by a reasonable margin on a little 250cc bike.

not quite 4 minutes the car did it in 19 mins and 56 seconds john mcgunniss set the lap record in 2009 he did it in 17 mins and 12 seconds plus the car is standard i dare say if he had been in a rally tarmac spec subaru as the bike is not standard he would beat the bike time!

Last edited:
Oh god my brain is befuddled today... how did I work that out as nearly 4 minutes rather than 3?

When I last went to the TT I believe the record was an average of 133MPH round the track. I doubt any car would/could match that given the bikes get to that speed a lot quicker than a car does.

When I last went to the TT I believe the record was an average of 133MPH round the track. I doubt any car would/could match that given the bikes get to that speed a lot quicker than a car does.
ill agree no car will hit that lap average on a track like that but cars can corner faster thats why a standard wrx can get with in 2.44 mins of a top modded 1000cc bike a rally tarmac spec subaru would beat that 17mins/12second lap record

Last edited:
ill agree no car will hit that lap average on a track like that but cars can corner faster thats why a standard wrx can get with in 2.44 mins of a top modded 1000cc bike a rally tarmac spec subaru would beat that 17mins/12second lap record

Id like to see it try. Why hasnt it been done then?

I think these stats are particular to the TT track as a Bike can use more of the road whereas a car has to be a damn site more careful between the stone walls. Plus there aren't that many corners on the track hence the high average speed. So the cars cornering advantage is small.

So if a WRX can get within 2.44 minutes (2 mins 44 secs?) thats still just about six miles behind the bike if its being ridden by Mr McGuiness. On a 37 mile track, thats a trouncing!

Id like to see it try. Why hasnt it been done then?

I think these stats are particular to the TT track as a Bike can use more of the road whereas a car has to be a damn site more careful between the stone walls. Plus there aren't that many corners on the track hence the high average speed. So the cars cornering advantage is small.

So if a WRX can get within 2.44 minutes (2 mins 44 secs?) thats still just about six miles behind the bike if its being ridden by Mr McGuiness. On a 37 mile track, thats a trouncing!
so would i like to see it being done and i dare say the reason why is because whats the point lol and if the standard road going wrx can get with in 2.44 then whats a much more power full / faster tarmac spec rally car with far more superior brakeing and handling going to do

Last edited:
so would i like to see it being done and i dare say the reason why is because whats the point lol and if the standard road going wrx can get with in 2.44 then whats a much more power full / faster tarmac spec rally car with far more superior brakeing and handling going to do

Probably not as well as many are making out. As Alfie pointed out, the terrain favours the bike in having more space to play with and being relatively long and flowing - the car will be having to deal with corners and kinks that simply don't exist for the bike.

Add to this that even with 600bhp, the car will still get comfortably outdragged in a straight line. A few years back Bruce Anstey clocked 206 on the Sulby straight.

Perhaps even more impressive is that the previous record, which stood for 21 years, was set by the late Tony Pond in a standard production Rover 827 Vitesse. He was the first person to lap the circuit on four wheels at an average speed of over 100mph.

[YOUTUBE]G6noOET7Eik[/YOUTUBE]

There's an echo in here :D

It certainly wasn't straight off the production line - the tyres and fruity exhaust note give the game away.

There's an echo in here :D

Sorry, I did have a quick look through the thread but missed your reference to it.

It certainly wasn't straight off the production line - the tyres and fruity exhaust note give the game away.

I have the DVD somewhere and I think he mentions that there were some minor modifications, but not to the car's powertrain. Not sure about the tyres. I will check it out when I get 5 mins.

I have the DVD somewhere and I think he mentions that there were some minor modifications, but not to the car's powertrain. Not sure about the tyres. I will check it out when I get 5 mins.

IIRC the DVD was done by Duke.

My understanding was that the team ripped the car apart and rebuilt it "properly"...if you see what I mean.

If anyone wants to make their car sound like that impreza, simply remove one or more HT leads before going for a drive :D

A fact that is sending Subaru owners the world over into a froth it seems, with claims that a "600hp prepared machine would match the bikes" :D

I daren't point out to them that the record was previously set in 1990 by that pinnacle of sporting prowess, the Rover 827 Vitesse (even if it was heavily fettled)

I understood that the Rover 827 was standard apart from some safety features and racing tyres.

I'm surprised the record stood for so long - why did nobody else try?

Its a better real world driving challenge / record than the Nurburgring!

My understanding was that the team ripped the car apart and rebuilt it "properly"...if you see what I mean.

"Properly"? You mean they rebuilt it so that the ashtrays didn't fall out of the door panels when you shut the door too firmly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom