Subaru Levorg 1.6GT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercedesDriver

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Jaguar XF Sportbrake 25t X260; Mini Cooper R50
Test drive booked for next week as I am seriously thinking of defecting from MB after many years.
Levorg seams like a capable estate, at least by the reviews I managed to find. Anyone tested it already?

Sorry I've no experience, I saw a couple of reviews which weren't totally enthusiastic.

It's what you think of it that counts.

Have you considered a 30 year old Mercedes clunker instead?

Sorry I've no experience, I saw a couple of reviews which weren't totally enthusiastic.

It's what you think of it that counts.

Have you considered a 30 year old Mercedes clunker instead?
Any specific non enthusiastic review?
I had a couple of then not so old MBs and can't go back anymore.

No, I don't recall.

Whatcar or Autocar maybe?

I wouldn't put too much faith in what a motor journalist thinks though.

Currently a competition on Subaru web site to win a 7 day trial

We were wating for the 300bhp engine but it seems we aren't getting that over here, or at least not yet.
So I bought and e55 instead!

So today I tested new Subaru Levorg and came out with somewhat mixed feelings.
For test I got a Levorg 1.6 GT (the only one type that can be found on UK market) with standard factory equipment. Both inside and outside it looks modern and sporty and you would expect it to have much more than modest 170bhp.
In the back there is enough space for 3 passengers and head clearance is pretty good (I'm 6ft high). All seats are in full black leather and provide very good back support. I found all seats much more ergonomic than in E class. Front seats are power adjustable and heated. Steering wheel is well sized and feels nice in hands. What I didn't like is too much controls on it and indicator lever is positioned too high. Levorg standard equipment is very decent and includes full leather, paddle shift, 18's, multifunction touchscreen display, SatNav, bluetooth, voice recognition, keyless access, rear camera, LEDs, headlamp washers, blind spot detection, USB slots almost everywhere in a car,... What I (read my daughters) miss is a video entertainment. Booth size is let's say sufficient and have two well dimensioned floor compartments. Tow bar with electrics is a possible additional equipment and is not expensive at all (compared with MB).
On A & B roads I find Levorg very capable and handles bands very good without body roll. Both turbo charged engine and CVT gearbox are responsive. On motorway it is not so good and 1.6 with turbo shows it's weakness. Turbo lag is very apparent on higher speeds. I also noticed a lot of wind noise coming from both side mirrors and because of this I couldn't live with Levorg for too long.
All in all Levorg is a good car but not for long motorway trips I have couple of times per year.
I'll probably go for Outback 2.5.

Currently a competition on Subaru web site to win a 7 day trial

And second prize is a fortnight........

Seriously my sister in USA is on her second Forester and they love them. Asymmetric AWD is supposed to be the best and in New England they are very highly regarded.

Seriously my sister in USA is on her second Forester and they love them. Asymmetric AWD is supposed to be the best and in New England they are very highly regarded.

I noticed loads of Subarus in Florida and AWD wouldn't be needed there.

They're cheap cars in the US - just looked and $229/mth to lease a Forester.

I've been tempted on several occasions by a Subaru, but never handed over any money (other than a used auto saloon about 30 yrs ago for SWMBO - and that was a good car at the time)
Think there may be one on the horizon, perhaps to coincide with retirement:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom