Subaru & M3 v CL65

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maff

MB Enthusiast
Having been driving around town for the last few weeks, I went to Derby the weekend and had two encounters, nothing special, but it was a good refresh of why a CL65 is lethal on the motorway :)

Firstly a modified Subaru came up behind me in the outside lane, I slowly increased my speed of which he followed, then I floored it and that was the end of that, mind, he did keep up for the first few seconds so it seemed a pretty quick Impreza.

Then about 10 mins after this, a new M3 with 4 lads in it tried the same thing, tailgating me for a good few miles in traffic, when the time came i squeezed my right foot and the M3 was gone - backwards

Hoping one day ill come up against something a bit quicker - M5 or Ferrari or such.

Matt

That'll learn them messing with a daddy Merc :rock: :rock:

Maff said:
Having been driving around town for the last few weeks, I went to Derby the weekend and had two encounters, nothing special, but it was a good refresh of why a CL65 is lethal on the motorway :)

Firstly a modified Subaru came up behind me in the outside lane, I slowly increased my speed of which he followed, then I floored it and that was the end of that, mind, he did keep up for the first few seconds so it seemed a pretty quick Impreza.

Then about 10 mins after this, a new M3 with 4 lads in it tried the same thing, tailgating me for a good few miles in traffic, when the time came i squeezed my right foot and the M3 was gone - backwards

Hoping one day ill come up against something a bit quicker - M5 or Ferrari or such.

Matt

Why is it you always get the fun ???

I seem to attract those poxy saxos:( and i dont waste my time on those.

Save a little fun for your younger brother please Mathew.

You need to sniff out some modified Skylines or such. You might get a run for your money for a little bit longer!

GrahamC230K said:
You need to sniff out some modified Skylines or such. You might get a run for your money for a little bit longer!

Not that many 700+ BHP Skylilnes on the road though unfortunately :( Stage 1 chip and tuning will cost about £1500 / £3000 and the servicing is pretty standard, stage 2 tuning can be around £5000, but then service intervals are reduced considerably and there are only 3 decent garages in the UK for Skylines.

Maff I used to love that feeling - long gone now in the SLK and about to get a Disco so will be even worse, but I do remember a "trying hard to impress my girlfriend" yellow Lambourghini getting very small in my rear view mirror and it still makes me smile - his face was a picture :D

Maff said:

Matt

Ahh, this has set me thinking,power outputs,power to weight ratio's.:rolleyes:
The 'prize' out there is the SLR, could you imagine the look on the drivers
face,:crazy:.:confused: ,as he finds his,pride and joy, £320000,spent, cant keep up with a CL.:eek:
Keep looking Matt.

Mark.
ps hope turbo now sorted.

i have a sneaking supsicion that an SLR will be in london on 5th May. so at some point maybes we can find out!

Humm SLR on 5th May, that would be handy then, we're have to make sure we're behind that one then!!

Yep, turbo's all fixed now and after a short blast this afternoon it seems to be working well ;)

I fancy the carbon fibre air box, but at £5k for another 40bhp it seems a bit expensive.

Cheap skate :D

Maff said:
Humm SLR on 5th May, that would be handy then, we're have to make sure we're behind that one then!!

i could get in front of it and, ahem, hold it up a bit!!! some people may think thats cheating, i prefer the word "Teamwork":)

Maff said:

Yep, turbo's all fixed now and after a short blast this afternoon it seems to be working well ;)

I fancy the carbon fibre air box, but at £5k for another 40bhp it seems a bit expensive.

'A Bit', Blimey,:eek: .I have asked Kleemann about these,they say over all they dont help much,particularly in summer!For £5k I'd expect bigger intercoolers as well.:D

Regards Mark.

as i am dumb, how does the air box give that much extra power. and does it need to be carbon fibre?

The rentech cf air box includes a revised ECU to take into account the extra air intake.

The guys on MBWorld have been running these in their SL65's will some very good results.

Anyway, houses and weddings come first ;) (so im told)

Maff said:
The rentech cf air box includes a revised ECU to take into account the extra air intake.

The guys on MBWorld have been running these in their SL65's will some very good results.

WooHay:bannana: Then kiddies and MPV's,:eek: :eek:

Maff said:

I see. what is your ultimate goal? i think that establising that will allow you to proceed in the right direction. drone blah drone on and on like a wise old man!!!!:)

MAFF said:

so you are told? this is not a good sign. its meant to be a partnership. that means equality. which means that she must do things that you want to as well, or it become unequal. therefore you demand the airbox as a wedding present off her, see. she gets the wedding day, the husband ect, and you get a free airbox. result=everyone happy! thats a win-win that is!

I dont know how i think them up, i really dont.:D

markbe said:
WooHay:bannana: Then kiddies and MPV's,:eek: :eek:

thats what my EX wife still thinks, so i am led to believe.:devil:

Maff said:

Has the fixed turbo made a lot of difference?
When you took me out I was utterly gobsmacked at the incredible power with an 'iffy' turbo. It can't be any quicker than that surely???
Mac.

machasm said:
Has the fixed turbo made a lot of difference?
When you took me out I was utterly gobsmacked at the incredible power with an 'iffy' turbo. It can't be any quicker than that surely???
Mac.

Yes, its quicker!! With the iffy Turbo I could only match a Porsche Turbo from standing start, now I outrun (not by too much) a modded GT2 :bannana:

Jesus H.
You will have to scare me again then next time we meet.
Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom