Subterfuge - or me being an old fart?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
I am seeing what can only be described as "stealth" marketing and IMHO, people being conned.

My wife's niece has a 6 month old boy who is cute. She posts pictures of him just about every day on Instagram, Facebook etc. (styles his hair and even poses him........)

So, she is contacted on Instagram by a few people who say "what a cute little boy - would you let us advertise our clothing range on him, and we will give you and your friends discount" (pretty sure there are no freebies involved for her)

Of course she says yes and is now in a loop of buying clothes from said people to pose him in - but the clothes are quite a bit more expensive than the high street, even with the discount. And of course, doting mums, grannies etc. buy even more as they get discount. Now posts are appearing from her friends who say "Wow those clothes are nice - where did you get them from?" to which she replies with the web address and discount code. I know for a fact that they are "posed" questions and answers in order to generate traffic.

Must stress there is nothing illegal going on. I am just annoyed as she is paying more to clothe him than she would otherwise (they only just get by financially), and quite frankly I think she (and the child) are being used. The clothes are nice enough, but nothing that special. Most have his name on of course which to me seems to be the only difference!

My wife ways that I am too cynical and a boring old fart who should get "with it" What does the panel think?

How long do clothes last for a month old? 2 months?
Putting a name on them effectively means they cant be resold to new mum's less fortunate.

Al part of the "look at me" culture - complete waste of £ imo

How long do clothes last for a month old? 2 months?
Putting a name on them effectively means they cant be resold to new mum's less fortunate.

Al part of the "look at me" culture - complete waste of £ imo
The clothes can still be sold to anyone who has a child with the same name.

So John or Patrick or Mohammed or Tony should not be a problem.

Of course, if your surname is Beeblebrox and you call your child Zaphod, then this could be an issue....

It's just marketing, I believe that the same sort of Mums have dildo parties which are marketed in a similar fashion.

You are correct, stealth marketing and not too stealthy at that! I have never met an <2 year old who has worn out clothing or is bothered about logo's ;-)

Just widening the discussion .... why is it some folk insist on sending you 'photos of their grandkids, or showing them to you incessantly when you meet up for a coffee? The missus and I simply are not interested.

When we have friends round for a meal, we ask that they switch off their 'phones, or at the very least keep them off the table. It's just plain rude for them to keep glancing down every few seconds or reacting with alacrity if they receive a call or text. Get a life!

Deffo Old Farts!

Just widening the discussion .... why is it some folk insist on sending you 'photos of their grandkids, or showing them to you incessantly when you meet up for a coffee? The missus and I simply are not interested.

When we have friends round for a meal, we ask that they switch off their 'phones, or at the very least keep them off the table. It's just plain rude for them to keep glancing down every few seconds or reacting with alacrity if they receive a call or text. Get a life!

Deffo Old Farts!
Hmm...

Does anyone know if there is a device which would stop mobiles working in your house? If so I am in the market for one.

Add me to the BOF club then. I won't pay a company to market for them, Which is what this is, by having to buy the clothes rather than have them gifted. A discount on a large markup, on something you likely wouldn't have bought, is not saving money.

Mind you I also avoid brands which prominently display large logos on their clothing. Just a silly principle of mine.

Each to their own I suppose but it smells of week old kipper to me. ;)

In essence, they are getting a model for free, free advertising and marketing, they cant lose eh?
Surely if the child is that cute, then the parents would be paid for their time, not just given a discount, which happens to be the same discount that everyone gets.

Does anyone know if there is a device which would stop mobiles working in your house? If so I am in the market for one.

cartoon-sledge-hammer-guy.gif

When we're hosting a particular set of friends for lunch or dinner, I put up notices which declare "This is a mobile device free zone" as they enter our house. Most duly switch off their phones. However, one friend is addicted to his iPad and iPhone, so I always confiscate them on his arrival. We do have a friend who I did allow to keep her phone on her and switched on, but at the time she was responsible for notifying potential recipients and surgical teams of organ donations and getting the whole process moving.

There are mobile jammers available from the far east, but not sure on just how legal they are in the uk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom