Sucessful reduction of road noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 W204 C180K
I've always noticed at motorway speeds that there was more a little more road noise coming from the rear on the near side compared to the off side.

After 2 years of ownership I decided to investigate by removing the rear seat squab to see if there was anything obvious that could be rectified. What I found was a circular metal access hatch which hadn't been very well fitted allowing an air gap. This picture I found isn't my car or in fact even a W204 but the plate is the same. You can see it isn't exactly flat and that there is a cable entry from the very bottom of the picture which means it needs some care and attention in fitting if it's to make a good air tight seal.

Well they hadn't used enough care and attention so I removed and refitted it ensuring it sealed properly. Result ! The higher level of road noise on the near side has gone and the car has a new feeling of refinement. Only wish I'd done it 2 years ago.

151122d1236111949-removing-rear-seats-e-brake.jpg

Sounds like it's had a tank drain maybe due to mis fuelling, there's not really any other reason why you'll need to remove them and they're fitted well from factory.

Good job for sorting it tho!

Best reduction of road noise I've had with my S204 was changing 16" rims and Contisport Contact 3's to 17" rims and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric tyres - car is now whisper quiet - which means I can hear every squeek and moan from the "co-driver" in the passenger seat. Seriously considering changing back to Contis!!:mad::mad:

Common problem with SatNag's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom