Suck on that, M3!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Awesome............... and I love the steering wheel.... a bit ala golf gti.../ audi TT

It was done it CarMagazine too.

Bit of an unfair comparison really... 6.3L V8 compared to much smaller engines...

Dan Trent is the ME mag editor...

It was done it CarMagazine too.

Bit of an unfair comparison really... 6.3L V8 compared to much smaller engines...

That'll be an engine that outlasts a BMW one.

This story reminds me so much of when the major bike manufacturers were coming out with their answer(s) to the fireblade. Whilst they were all secretly working hard, Yamaha was coming up with something very special. Consequently when Suzuki released the GSXR range and Kawasaki the ZX9R, Yamaha dumped the R1 on the market, game over!

BMW should have taken a look over their shoulder before releasing the M3 as clearly the C63 is the quicker car. However BMW have an M3 heritage and loyal customer base so I expect the new M3 to sell in droves. Still, that will make all us (yes I will order one one day) in C63's that bit more discerning and exclusive. Besides, all the estate agents around here have M3's and I wouldnt want to be labelled in that social bracket;)

I'd still rather have one than an RS4 or an M3 ...

Estate agents cars ....

I actually know a few estate agents and one of them has an M3 and another one has an RS4 ( admittedly a cabrio , still an RS4 though ) ...

Gimme the '63 ....

Yeah what is it about M3 engines...? Everyone I know with an M3 (hmmm they were all estate agents too...) has had to have a rebuild...

Its hardly some kind of secret development is it though... Immagine the scene:

MB Director: Okay now the new C Class is done we need something to beat the M3. Any ideas?
AMG Product Director: Yes lets take the engine from the SL63 AMG, detune it a bit and stick it in the C Class.
MB Director: Okay agreed. Next on the agenda - who's round is it?

concidering the difference in price and the absence of a manual box, i still prefer the M3.
dislikes
; slow witted gearbox says it all.

That's the trouble with Evo and other car mags. You can guess what their reviews are going to say without reading the magazine.

Invariably the BMW will win due to poise and its manual gearbox, the Audi will be sure footed and fast but lack feedback, and the Mercedes will be incredibly fast in a straight line but will not involve the driver as much. Its been this way since time began and will always be thus.
:rolleyes:

Invariably the BMW will win due to poise and its manual gearbox, the Audi will be sure footed and fast but lack feedback, and the Mercedes will be incredibly fast in a straight line but will not involve the driver as much. Its been this way since time began and will always be thus.
:rolleyes:
You're not a journalist by any chance are you, RC? :D

That's the trouble with Evo and other car mags. You can guess what their reviews are going to say without reading the magazine.

I would say that's the trouble with car manufacturers - not the magazines. Audi made the R8 and took on the 911 directly and 'won'. Life isn't all that predictable ;).

I would say that's the trouble with car manufacturers - not the magazines. Audi made the R8 and took on the 911 directly and 'won'. Life isn't all that predictable ;).

"Win" or "Lose" - its still only somebodies opinion. The parameters that can be scientifically measured are the only areas where winners or losers can be categorically stated. Everything else is personal and subjective where the reviewers bias come into play.
Personally, I would rather have the MB over the Audi and BMW. But thats hardly surprising given that this is a MB forum.
I saw an R8 on the M25 a few weeks back and was right in front of me. It had the same effect on me as when I first saw a TT, which was WOW!
Give it a year or three when a few more R8's are around and I think it will lose that edge.
However, I still look at 911's and think WOW! and thats after the best part of 40 years on the road. Even early models have their own charm.
If I had £80,000 to spend on one or the other, I know which one I would pick without a moments hesitation.

The R8 :D. Not that you can get one for less than £100K it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom