Suf's W204 C280 Saloon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJudge

Car
W204 C280
Hi all, new member, got this car a month ago to replace my 330D I had for a few years. I have owned two CLK's in the past and glad to be back in a Merc again.

Vb0pE6tbiZDQKBmg1LI1heaBwOdsH7lvPYzJmylzJg9tmS5nA4WndHnhCq95N7GZLNewpevqACIde-Yq8imS_hpSQQ4cuApiV_dIjwbdEy5_t7QwG-kaMO2sgs2u5OLsBUANBDVUwb9RGIhSlAX_hP7WN9-gEWgHMhnhDKb90cODxyoNmMyf7zCk8pzHpZijg6PuUokD49dkBF0Xcz2KT5lJ6EDi8CZeIHo3CmYcUo9S8fioHiF7nqxeCo290CYSbNNgFuhrK3HWrVxN4c_i5NaTEPSVRoEVAA0bAl63RzYcYqaIvZ1hjreN8_Mz9wqqAuONupgxXfr499auBY_VI_n_NTCVq3cSPU7aVBz3OK98l2IoOF4-AUnyvvem6pD_T8vgyeCnOQDUUlA26OYTFM-x1mgbLF18e-KXauVY4qlCkvs04od1h-eU1H3Wwcx4EcUp_UdBwGpx8ROhBzKszw-BJuZxxPNU3LdDQlgpUiJEWp5rf3Cnr4p7qhofdIw4vMxvsrmiuGSw1YPZVefePGv2XrkcF3r8PV6lq5mIgytFj1-K35Mgk9XaH8_D0Zfgmw1iBZrZfb755foKidjxh3ereHoULu17amsouLL_9SzZCBbS5JfTRIzCgb5YzVkYjajsB7I59zw5YutyM6PN66Upyg=w2401-h1351-no

Whenever I've bought my previous cars I never intend to make many changes, but then something happens right ....

Anyway, planning to go lightly on this one and control my budget ...... I am a believer of maintenance before mods

So far:
  • I still have the old audio 20 system - from what I've read this isn't really upgradeable as it is right apart from swapping in a new unit? So I bought this to enable m phone to stream music. I might look into replacing the stock radio with an Android unit but the options seem way more expensive than that on the beemer
  • After being a victim of bad drivers (mainly Peugeot 306's), I bought a simple front/rear dash system, cheap as chips and does the job.
  • My Beemer had Xenons so the regular Halogens in this were a bit of a disappointment. I wasn't too keen in HIDs having fitted them to a previous CLK, especially as I didn't want to be one of those drivers blinding people with mods to my projector headlights. However, after a lot of research I have upgraded the regular H7 bulbs with LED equivalents and the parking bulbs
  • Also, I couldn't tell if the gearbox oil was ever serviced so had the oil, filters etc changed. The car is on about 76K which isn't bad for the age.
Going forward - I can hear a clunking noise and after watching some online vids, it seems like the sway bar links is a common problem so I'll check mine out next month.

Ok - here are a series of "I did this on my 330D, is it worth doing something similar to my Merc" questions ......
  • I had the bushes replaced for polyurethane (powerflex), I really liked how the car handled afterwards. Has anyone ever done this to their Mercs?
  • Is it easy to swap flush the power steering fluid on these?
  • Anyone recommend a decent OBD2 Scanner or software? On the Beemer I used INPA software
The alloys are beginning to bubble, so that's somethings else I'll think about at some point ... Also, the front right fog light had a bit of a ding ...

Anyway, long enough post I think!!

Welcome to the forum:thumb:
Very nice Suf. That paintwork looks excellent. (unlike the wall behind the car;):D)
The OBD scanner of choice for the Merc seems to be the i-Carsoft MB V2
If the alloys are diamond cut, its often best to have them powder coated as the finish on the diamond cut never lasts.

If you are not already aware, you have a great MB indy on your doorstep in Harrow at Wayne Gates. Never read anything bad about them.
Wayne Gates Specializing in Mercedes-Benz Servicing & Repairs

Welcome to the forum:thumb:
Very nice Suf. That paintwork looks excellent. (unlike the wall behind the car;):D)
The OBD scanner of choice for the Merc seems to be the i-Carsoft MB V2
If the alloys are diamond cut, its often best to have them powder coated as the finish on the diamond cut never lasts.

If you are not already aware, you have a great MB indy on your doorstep in Harrow at Wayne Gates. Never read anything bad about them.
Wayne Gates Specializing in Mercedes-Benz Servicing & Repairs
Thanks, yeah I used Wayne Gates in the past, in fact Terry and the boys did the gearbox service this week

lol, downstairs flat need to pull their thumb (and paint brush) out!

After installing my dashcam(s) I noticed it had an effect on my radio, most of the radio stations were sounding really bad, after doing some investigation I found that cheap USB chargers are notorious for causing interference and the dashcam I bought came with it's own hardwired cigarette charger which I connected in the glove compartment. In fact, while driving I asked my wife to disconnect the dashcam temporarily and immediately the radio signal improved.

The fix I've applied is ditching the shipped charging cable and buying a separate cigarette USB adaptor and an extra long USB A to USB mini cables plus some ferrite cores to add to the cable. Problem solved! Pic shows the result plus my USB bluetooth streaming device.

48474671167_051a19765f_o.jpg

It's raining, so that means beading ...

48783713036_b7e70f7bfd_o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom