Suggestions for a trip to Devon...............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
One Thing I may be certain of, there are many Forum members who might supply excellent recommendations when it comes to planning scenic tours and finding good restaurants.

For no particular reason we are off for a brief weekend break to Devon and will be staying a few miles outside Dartmouth.

Friday evening we will be looking for a good restaurant with, ideally, views over water and a wide selection of sea-food and a reasonable choice at least for those of us that leave Piscine products well alone! Taxi distance of Dartmouth would be ideal.

Saturday we would like to put together a leisurely tour of the area and visiting places off the normal tourist route would be welcomed but any quiet coves, villages, galleries etc would add to the day and I am quite happy to drive around 100 miles or more if needed.

Sunday might see us roaming back through Dorset for a change so again recommendations for lunch spots etc gladly received.

Thanks in advance.

Go to Cornwall instead!
We find the range of restaurants better - especially the seafood ones!
We holidayed in both a few years back and were a bit disappointed in Devon.
After that we stayed in Hale, Cornwall (where I used to camp, as a kid!)
Much better range of restaurants - especially in Hale and St. Ives

The family has a house overlooking Dartmouth harbour so we are down there 4 or 5 times a year. Lots of places to eat but the two we tend to frequent are:

The Royal Castle Hotel. This is our go to place for anything from entertaining to functions. Great location too. Tripadvisor.​

TAYLOR'S RESTAURANT. Again great location. Very nice menu with good choice of seafood. Tripadvisor.
Booking is recommended as the town is packed all day - including visiting cruise ships!

Edit: Adding the Craft Centre/Shops at Dartington (where they make the glass). We sometimes stop here for a break. Lots of things to see (and buy). A useful place to know and on the road into Dartmouth if approaching from M5.

The Shops at Dartington - a haven of tranquillity at Dartington Hall, Devon

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to Cornwall instead!

We spend a lot of time in the west country and we much prefer Cornwall too - even though we have an interest ^ in Dartmouth. Have to say though that I find restaurants in and around St Ives to be average at best. Lots of cliche'd eating 'venues' in St Ives catering for the Japanese, Chinese and German tourists that pack the place on a daily basis. We tend therefore to eat in the much less popular Penzance, usually in the Thai Moon, if for no other reason than it has on street parking just outside, a rarity in Penzance. We also like the
Godolphin Arms in Marazion. Awesome fried fish and a great view!

Go to Cornwall instead!

Well clearly we are booked in to a hotel in Devon so that is not going to happen. :)

I know Cornwall well and we have spent a week there this year already. Dartmouth has / had some good restaurants but I would like to go off the beaten track and find somewhere new..

For the record, I have had some pretty awful meals in supposed high end restaurants in
Cornwall (Not Mr Stien's various places before it is suggested)

I find that the more popular the area the lower the quality of food can be as restaurants are keen on turnover and quality often suffers pluis, if someone is not happy with the food etc then there are many more that will viist during the season..

Last edited:
I cannot recommend any particular place to eat. - But, if you have the time, I can recommend a trip to Dartmoor Zoological Park at Sparkwell. To be followed by a drive along the B3212 across Dartmoor, where you could stop at any one of the pubs/hotels (perhaps in Moretonhampstead) for food.

The family has a house overlooking Dartmouth harbour so we are down there 4 or 5 times a year. Lots of places to eat but the two we tend to frequent are:

The Royal Castle Hotel. This is our go to place for anything from entertaining to functions. Great location too. Tripadvisor.​

TAYLOR'S RESTAURANT. Again great location. Very nice menu with good choice of seafood. Tripadvisor.
Booking is recommended as the town is packed all day - including visiting cruise ships!

Edit: Adding the Craft Centre/Shops at Dartington (where they make the glass). We sometimes stop here for a break. Lots of things to see (and buy). A useful place to know and on the road into Dartmouth if approaching from M5.

The Shops at Dartington - a haven of tranquillity at Dartington Hall, Devon
Thank you.

Taylor's had already been added to the list before your kind recommendation so we will probably book in there for one evening!

Sunday might see us roaming back through Dorset for a change so again recommendations for lunch spots etc gladly received.

Thanks in advance.

The Seven Stars Inn near Wool is a nice place to stop for lunch or dinner if your route takes you that way.

Seven Stars Inn, Dorset

To eat with a view of the water, try:
Below Decks in Torquay
Rockfish in Brixham
Marketplace in Brixham
The Angel in Dartmouth (near the water, but not really a view, and not been since it changed hands)

For day trip:
Drive along the coast and stop off at Blackpool Sands (stunning), Slapton Sands, and Salcombe

Worth seeing the memorial down at Slapton (WW2) and the ice cream at Salcombe is renowned

If you want somewhere quieter but by the river, Stoke Gabriel by the Weir

Dartmouth has some nice little pubs tucked away up side streets

Thank you to all for your very helpful replies. They have either helped make it a great weekend or are stored for future visits!

Friday evening was spent in the Ferry Boat Inn, possibly the best views from any pub plus great beers and food FBI

We spent far more time in Dartmouth on Saturday than I anticipated (and, unsurprisingly ended up with several items purchased, a new bag, a painting, some jewellery etc etc, none of it for me !) so our afternoon tour was somewhat shorter than planned although all very pleasant!

Having found a superb delicatessen in Dartmouth (Smith Street Deli) we changed our dining plans and bought a selection of cheeses, olives, quiche, salami, prosciutto etc and had a relaxing evening eating in the gardens of where we stayed , the owners (who were going out and gave us the run of the accomodation) were incredibly kind and helpful in laying out a table for us with wine glasses, linien, cheese board, ice bucket etc!

As an aside the car was displaying a consumption of 38.9mpg on our return after a number of traffic hold-ups, lots of Devon hills and twisty bits and the occasional enthusiastic overtake :)

Last edited:
Thank you to all for your very helpful replies. They have either helped make it a great weekend or are stored for future visits!

Friday evening was spent in the Ferry Boat Inn, possibly the best views from any pub plus great beers and food FBI

We spent far more time in Dartmouth on Saturday than I anticipated (and, unsurprisingly ended up with several items purchased, a new bag, a painting, some jewellery etc etc, none of it for me !) so our afternoon tour was somewhat shorter than planned although all very pleasant!

Having found a superb delicatessen in Dartmouth (Smith Street Deli) we changed our dining plans and bought a selection of cheeses, olives, quiche, salami, prosciutto etc and had a relaxing evening eating in the gardens of where we stayed , the owners (who were going out and gave us the run of the accomodation) were incredibly kind and helpful in laying out a table for us with wine glasses, linien, cheese board, ice bucket etc!

As an aside the car was displaying a consumption of 38.9mpg on our return after a number of traffic hold-ups, lots of Devon hills and twisty bits and the occasional enthusiastic overtake :)
You’re back early. I would have milked every last moment there :)

You’re back early. I would have milked every last moment there :)

We had planned to do a little more touring around this morning and afternoon on the return but we had torrential rain with some local flooding as well as Met Office thunderstorm warnings :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom