Suggestions for Amalfi Coast holiday?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
We've fancied the Amalfi Coast for a while, and 2015 could be the year we go.

Our default for European holidays is to drive, but given the distance we would consider flying (maybe to Naples?) and hiring a car.

Suggestions for travel, nice family-friendly hotels, and best placed towns/areas to stay would all be much appreciated.

Have been twice to the Amalfi Coast, once flying, once driving.

First thing I'd say is definitely go for it. A wonderful part of Italy and sufficiently different to feel as if its not really in Europe, while retaining all the advantages.

I'd be inclined to say don't be put off by the drive, and as there's some stunning roads you'll probably end up regretting not having your car for them, unless you really splash out on the rental. I did the journey down in a single day, and wasn't unduly fatigued as its all pretty straight forward, and just as you start to flag the Alps arrive and rejuvenate you in time for the autostrada. Having said that, there's a number of interesting places to break the journey such as Geneva or one of the former northern City States, or even Rome.

The driving isn't as bad as a lot of people make out; they're loud with poor lane discipline but if you keep to your line they invariably stop. I wouldn't parallel park however, as the bumpers are used rather literally.

I stayed in Sorrento, and the hotel was a bit naff tbh, and the breakfast was miserable, but super cheap. The town itself is well worth it.

Capri is expensive and touristy, but on balance probably worth a day. There's an open chair lift which is pretty spectacular, as is the Blue Cave. Vesuvius is worth a climb and Pompeii pretty spectacular, especially its scale. Heard good things about Herculaneum but never been. Trajan's villa is also nearby, much less touristy and a very peaceful complex.

I went in March, so I think things were less busy, and the heat wasn't oppressive - jeans with a polo shirt was perfectly comfortable, even at night. Sea was very chilly however.

It did get dark quite early still, so worth considering if you're really packing the activities in, but not so bad if you just want to eat and chill in the evenings.

March is when we're most likely to go, and probably be away for 10-12 days including driving. Luckily Mrs D enjoys the drive, and the kids are great (car) travellers too. We've driven to Monaco and Garda, but Amalfi has half as far again!

My initial thought was to stay in the Alps on the way down, as that's about half way, and on the way back maybe stop in Florence and again at Disneyland Paris. Open to other suggestions on good stop overs.

For 10-12 to days there's nothing to loose by splitting the drive - I was only doing 5 so couldn't really afford to loose the extra half days. Think it totalled about 14 hours from Calais at a three figure cruise.

If you were to enter Switzerland at Basel there's a very nice hotel in Zug called the Oschen which does probably the best calves liver I've ever had. Very close to the lake front as well which always pleasant. That would also facilitate an exit via Como. If you enter during business hours they will nobble you for a motorway carnet however, which I think is about 40 CHF. Valid all year however.

noy91, so did you do the drive in one go, in both directions?

We had a week in Sorrento back in the day, and enjoyed the stay. Flew and got a coach transfer, didn't bother with a car. I wasn't too bothered about that in the end, Sorrento traffic is pretty full-on even by Italian standards. Having said that, for all the honking, undertaking, and on one occasion using the pavement, I didn't see a single accident the whole week.

We did a day in Capri which was pleasant (Dustin Hoffman has apparently eaten in every restaurant in Capri town, judging from the photos), although subsequently as Jeff666 mentions I've heard Ischia is nicer. We also caught a bus to Positano one day which was fairly memorable, driven by a guy who clearly thought he was Ricardo Patrese. On a twisty twisty road with a clear drop hundreds of feet into the sea at some points. Interesting. :crazy: (We caught a boat back).

Can't recommend a hotel I'm afraid, ours was good but way up in the hills, however they had a courtesy bus that shuttled into town and back again all day. There are loads of hotels in Sorrento town though, so finding a place to stay shouldn't be difficult if you decide to stop there.

Cheers,

Gaz

noy91, so did you do the drive in one go, in both directions?

Yes, in 2010 with the Bora, having flown previously in 2008.

Got an early ferry to Calais, rolling off at around 9am, then two tanks down to Switzerland, ate in a services there, the continued down via Como, arriving at the hotel just after 1am. Out and about by 10am the next day, and felt fine but did need about to recover once home the following week!

Yes, in 2010 with the Bora, having flown previously in 2008.

Got an early ferry to Calais, rolling off at around 9am, then two tanks down to Switzerland, ate in a services there, the continued down via Como, arriving at the hotel just after 1am. Out and about by 10am the next day, and felt fine but did need about to recover once home the following week!

16 hours including stops is excellent. We may need to factor in a few more stops!

I've found a nice hotel in Praiano, but noticed a reference on their website to welcoming children over 12 years old :(

Found a nice hotel in Chamonix too :)

A few things to do/check -

Take a SAT NAV, very difficult to find anything off a main route.

If driving, ensure you have parking at accommodation, you will not find anywhere to park in popular areas, unless paying £20 a day.

Try airbnb.com for alternative and cheaper accommodations.

Naples is a nightmare to drive in, it gets much worse the further south you go if in urban centres

P

16 hours including stops is excellent. We may need to factor in a few more stops!

We were very much in exciting challenge rather than family holiday mode, but there's a lot of nice places to stop.

Will be intrigued to see a write up of how the Bi-TDI handles itself, but would imagine it to be in its element.

stayed in Revelo 10 years back for a wedding, lovely place and a sgort boat trip away from a very touristy capri

We were very much in exciting challenge rather than family holiday mode, but there's a lot of nice places to stop.

Will be intrigued to see a write up of how the Bi-TDI handles itself, but would imagine it to be in its element.

We'll likely go in the ML63 although that will triple the fuel bill and the fuel stops! I would imagine the Audi would be well suited to the job :thumb:

On a practical note, the ML will probably be easier to park as the Audi is like an aircraft carrier in comparison and doesn't have the quasi protection offered by side steps.

We'll likely go in the ML63 although that will triple the fuel bill and the fuel stops! I would imagine the Audi would be well suited to the job :thumb:

Can't fault you there! Actually very handy for seeing over the barriers on the coastal roads.

Went last September, really good trip

Flew into Rome
* Rome - 5 Days
Train to South, then Ferry
* Amalfi Town - 5 Days
Ferry to Sorrento
* Sorrento - 5 Days
Bus to Naples Airport

Planes, Trains and Ferry's were the modes of transport.

Once in Amalfi and Sorrento, couldn't help but thinking having the car would have been the better option, having seen the coastline from the Ferry, driving along the coast roads would have been something special (I've brought my car on the summer holiday for the last four years!).

If you're not set on staying in the center of town on the Amalfi Coast there are some villas and apartments one or two kilometers out on offer that give amazing views over the coast, (We had one about 400-500 meter above sea level) as well as giving good value and good sizes. Great views day or night.

If I was planing to go again, I would drive down, allocate an extra day or two and airbnb it as having the car would give you more options for accommodation.

Regarding accommodation, airbnb has been my preference for the the last few years(London, France and Spain), but Italy has been the most difficult to manage(had one person cancel our Sorrento place with 2 days notice) turned out that we got an excellent place in the centre instead.

Hope this helps, if you are used to, and comfortable doing the long distances by car, this will offer you better flexibility and enjoyment around the Amalfi Coast.

I'm guessing cruising down through France and Italy in an ML63 wouldn't be too much of a chore!

Last edited:
If you're not set on staying in the center of town on the Amalfi Coast there are some villas and apartments one or two kilometers out on offer that give amazing views over the coast, (We had one about 400-500 meter above sea level) as well as giving good value and good sizes. Great views day or night.

A good thought re villas - I'll take a look into it. Where did you find the villa you stayed in?

I'm guessing cruising down through France and Italy in an ML63 wouldn't be too much of a chore!

The longest trip we've done in the ML63 was down to Monte Carlo, across to Lake Garda and then home via the Alps, and it was an excellent car for the journey.

I seem to remember that Super Unleaded was almost 2 Euros per litre, and so 2,400 miles at 19.6 mpg was an eye opener!! :eek:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/149284-another-road-trip-our-w164-amg.html

Here it lurking in the undergrowth on the banks of Lake Garda!!

35838d1366586053-another-road-trip-our-w164-amg-img_2207web.jpg

And here it is at the pit-stop at the entrance to the Mont Blanc tunnel:

35836d1366585327-another-road-trip-our-w164-amg-img_2338web.jpg

Last edited:
If you can manage it, stay for at least one night at the Hotel San Pietro just outside Positano. It's very expensive, but a favourite haunt of the stars and was certainly classed as one of the top 10 hotels in the world. That coupled with the fact that it is built into the cliff face; every suite with incredible views; private boat from their own beach direct into Positano, etc etc One of 'those' experiences ..... :)

If you can manage it, stay for at least one night at the Hotel San Pietro just outside Positano. It's very expensive, but a favourite haunt of the stars and was certainly classed as one of the top 10 hotels in the world. That coupled with the fact that it is built into the cliff face; every suite with incredible views; private boat from their own beach direct into Positano, etc etc One of 'those' experiences ..... :)

Michelin starred restaurant too. :thumb:

Yesterday, I was checking Disneyland Paris for hotel availability for a stopover on the return journey, and I ended up booking it for a week. It seemed good value, and I like a bargain!!

So now I'm thinking of going down to Amalfi in May or August. Any thoughts on traffic and heat at those times of year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom