Suggestions on removing 'ghosting' after dealer sticker removed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenmercedes

Car
W203 C240 (LPG conversion) RIP
I removed the dealer sticker from the inside of my car after it was in situ for 15 years. In normal circumstances, it is invisible, but on a cold morning, you can see 'ghosting' of where the sticker was located. I've tried all sorts of glass cleaner, and WD40, and paint remover (!), all to no avail. I am reluctant to use anything abrasive like a clay bar as I don't want to damage the heating elements.

Anyone experience this before and how to remove it?

decal residue.jpg

Tar and glue remover from autoglym or any other type of solvent that removes sticky residue , then glass cleaner after

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Already tried that buddy, and it was AutoGlym, didn't work :(
That's a shame, always worked for me, I would start with something light like super resin polish and use a corner of a microfiber and gently work around the elements, abrasion maybe the only way to go, maybe try an edge and see if it works

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Wd40

Nail polish remover.

Panel wipe.

Acetone (with caution)

I imagine that pure Dicloromethane or Methylene Chloride [ an ingredient of many cheap paint strippers] would do it, but hesitate to recommend it due to its potential toxicity. You would have to avoid skin contact with chemically resistant gloves/overalls and avoid inhalation- something difficult to achieve in a car interior without forced ventilation/extraction. Perhaps best to learn to live with your resident "ghost" ??

I think as it’s on the tailgate/hatchback of the Ford pictured it should be possible to achieve decent ventilation if you were to work outside and with the hatch opened of course!

Failing the other suggestions, I would try careful use of a Stanley type blade to scrape off the easiest and safest bits - not right up to the elements of course! Solvent wise maybe something like Brasso would contain just enough solvent and a bit of abrasiveness to remove the sticky residue?

I would think you’ll be fairly safe with the heating elements polish wise as the residue will have left an fairly uniform thickness to remove over the glass and whatever else is on the surface.

Kitchen Wet Wipes.

Following on from Killer's suggestion I see that quite a few surface cleaners now contain hydrogen peroxide which might be another non toxic approach. If it doesn't work you can always use it for its original purpose so nothing lost!
362003011_0_640x640.jpg

I would suggest xylene paint thinners available from screwfix and others. I have used this solvent to remove the remains of headlamp beam deflector mask adhesive (used on the continent). Bearing in mind the dealer sticker is likely to have had similar adhesive, I'd give it a go.

Last edited:
This article made for interesting reading. LINK.

Good luck!

Reactions: 190
Usually a glue remover is good, Isopropyl may remove it too. Clay isnt over aggressive and also tar remover. Leave it to dwell before removing.

This article made for interesting reading. LINK. Good luck!
Further evidence perhaps that Glass is sometimes called a supercooled liquid because it does not form a crystalline structure, but instead forms an amorphous solid that allows molecules in the material to continue to move.--- And thus incorporate impurities on its surface if left long enough?
You could try the fingertip test- the fingertips are incredibly sensitive. After cleaning if you can feel a change in surface its on the glass if you can't its maybe in the glass

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom