Suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
My son in law is in need of another car and has up to £5k.

What are the suggestions for something petrol, economical and above all reliable to carry 2 adults and 2 children under 3 with all the paraphenalia that children need nowadays ie pram, pushchair bags etc.

His last car was a Volvo estate which was perfect for comfort and economy but let down on reliability due to its age. Its now up for sale for spares due to a clutch problem and too expensive to fix.

My thinking is either a Ford ,Honda or Kia for reliability and maybe a small MPV?
Nothing Mercedes have are really an option currently.
What would you be looking at?

Mk4 Mondeo estate. Superb cars imho having run one for nine years with zero issues save routine annual service. Brilliant cars and he will get a nice one for 5k

Mk4 Mondeo estate. Superb cars imho having run one for nine years with zero issues save routine annual service. Brilliant cars and he will get a nice one for 5k
It will be hard to beat that suggestion, I reckon! But for a quirky choice how about a late model Saab?

Dean has got a nice petrol XC90 for sale around that price Rog.

Dean has got a nice petrol XC90 for sale around that price Rog.

V8 is too big Abs. Up to 2 lt really preferrable.
The Mondeo estate looks a good shout.

Shame it has to be petrol, that really does narrow it down.
Plenty of diesels estates that would very nice at that kind of money.
Audi A6 2.0 good solid car. 60 plate with good options for that money.
I sold my 3.0tdi estate to my mate (cheap) and it was a lovely car.
The Mondeo represents good VFM, but what about depreciation compared to BMW and Audi.
I've had a sit in a Saab or two and they are a nice environment with very comfy seats - like the Volvo. Prices are great value.

If going for an estate to maintain ride comfort/ carrying ability/ straightline stability at speed a rough rule of thumb would be to look for a car with a similar wheel base as the Volvo estate he had . People often underestimate the importance of this basic dimension in how a car feels on the road ????

Last edited:
Mondeo
Mazda 6
Honda Accord
Toyota Avensis

All offer a lot of car for £5k.

I would choose the Accord or Avensis on the basis they have a better petrol engine choice imo.

Happy hunting.

Cheers,

Chris

It will be hard to beat that suggestion, I reckon! But for a quirky choice how about a late model Saab?

Or an earlier model one perhaps?

Saved Adverts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom