suicide (dive) bomber pidgeons - in pairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grasmere

Car
MB C220 D 1996
Any ornithologists out there that may be able to explain this please?

My wife, Sue, noticed yesterday a mark on an upstairs window that looked like an imprint of a bird that had hit the window smack on, complete with feather details of chest and wings. Bizzarre we thought . . .

This evening about 1800 Sue screamed :eek: as a pidgeon flew from high across the road straight down and into our living room window - smack on and left a similar impression as the one upstairs. The bird dropped to the ground in the flowers and bushes.

We went outside and wondered if it had flown off. Whilst looking Sue shouted again as another pidgeon flew from a tree nearby straight above our heads and into an upstairs window :crazy: and dropped down almost on top of me onto the grass. It seemed to be stunned (surprise surprise) and walked into the flowers and bushes away from me.

We waited a few minutes and the bird walked out onto the lawn but could not fly at all though it kept trying. Last thing I saw was a local cat had spotted it up the road and whos knows . . .

I took a look in the bushes and the first bird was still there - dead.

So - whats that all about then ? :confused:

Remember the seagulls from 'Finding Nemo'? Same principle...they don't appear to be the cleverest of birds.

thanks PJH, done that, lets see what they say.

Interestingly, various pairs of pidgeons, inc these two, have been around our house for a couple of years living in a tree in next doors front garden but never known them to do this before.

must be sommat with the Harrogate Pidgeons Ian - coz we had one last week as well, but I think uors had thrown itself through a telephone cable and sliced part of it's wong off :crazy:

Brian WH said:
Painful when you slice part of your "wong off". :D :D

oops :eek: :eek: but you're right - very painful - and fairly terminal too :D

he he, painful indeed Pammy ;)

The dead body went by way of a M&S carrier bag today once we were sure it was cold :eek:

Anyone for M&S pidgeon pie :D

If the sky was reflected in the window, the pigeons may think it is an opening.

If the sky was reflected in the window, the pigeons may think it is an opening.

Yes, in fact I think that is exactly what the problem was. Just odd its never knowingly happened before.

Hmmm wonder how I can confuse that cats that c**p on the lawn . . . :devil:

My brother has the same problem when he fitted the k glass reflective windows.. birds could only see sky reflecting back.. get this pretty regular now.. must be the position of his house adding to it

Have seen a lot of this behaviour with magpies in oz, however they are an aggressive bird. Usually sees itself in the mirror and tries to interact/attack.

The pigeons at my place are crazy. They sit just infront of the car mirrors, look into the mirror and then try to fight/argue with thier reflection. Its really amusing acctually, up to the point where the paintwork is all scrached up and the car needs a wash AGAIN "££$%$£W"$ :devil: !!!! Really need to cover the mirrors from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom