Suitable car required for dragging a horse box (plus horse!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DSM10000, Sep 29, 2014.

1. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    Madam is now extending her outings on Finn (Or Big Bu**er as Woodythewise so rightly calls him:D) to local jump events. It has also been mentioned that attending events further afield is also on the agenda and therefore the 1964 LR S2 is no longer a suitable vehicle, not that it ever really was :(

If I am going to have to drag over 500Kg of glue on legs around plus horse trailer, kit etc then I want something capable, reliable and comfortable.

Heated leather seats, automatic transmission and a diesel engine are the must haves so I am thinking Long wheel base Shogun as friends have one and it has been a very good car. I am probably not going to look at LR products as I dislike the Discovery whenever I have driven one (admittedly a 2004 model) and find them ponderous old buses, Range Rovers are lovely but this needs something a little more utilitarian.

Land Cruisers have been discounted as "too big and ugly"

Input from anyone else that has to perform these duties would be welcome:thumb:

2. boxbrownie

boxbrownie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML350Cdi BE now replaced, E220 2013MY just for a bit.....
    Land Cruiser the supreme tug boat.........big and ugly though ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. boxbrownie

boxbrownie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML350Cdi BE now replaced, E220 2013MY just for a bit.....
    OK seriously.........Toyota Pick-up.......Nissan Pick-up........Mitsubishi Pick-up

My daughter has had all of these on the farm at various stages, and all were dependable and tough, and surprisingly usable for everyday shopping.....no door dings to worry about.

1 person likes this.
  4. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    My friend Gavin (a veteran car dealer) uses a big petrol V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee for hauling cars and trailer around. Cheap as chips as everyone wants a noisy smelly thing and fully loaded as the less than top drawer trade might say.

1 person likes this.
  5. abecketts

abecketts Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Discovery, Lexus RX300, Alfa 166 3.0 and tractors
    The shogun is capable and well spec'ed but unless they have improved the cab insulation or the engine noise it does invade the cabin and is v harsh. I would go for a v8 jeep unless you need to do many miles.

1 person likes this.
  6. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8d SE (sorry, guys)
    [​IMG]

How about one of these?

1 person likes this.
  7. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    What's the budget?

8. WDB124066

WDB124066 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
    1 person likes this.
  9. MCFastybloke

MCFastybloke Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '95 300d.BMW330d
    Done some serious towing with hilux/navara.For something a bit more refined Volvo xc90/v70 all wheel drice.

1 person likes this.
  10. epervier

epervier Active Member

Car:
    1998 R129 Sl500, 1996 C124
    Another vote for the Land cruiser, as stated they don't break easily,

OK not pulling in the same weight class, but we did have fun sandboarding in the Algerian dessert when I worked for Total:crazy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. V12

V12 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S320CDI LWB
    The W163 ML270cdi is a great work horse for towing.
    Tows better than most other vehicles it's size due to distance between the tow ball and the rear axle.

I've towed at it's limit of 3500kg and it always felt solid but I could have done with a little more power up some of the longer inclines. If you're looking at a Shogun though you'll be even worse off on the power/torque front.

1 person likes this.
  12. V12

V12 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S320CDI LWB
    I also had a 4.7 V8 for a while. Was good but just too juicy. ML can average 30mpg even when pulling some weight. The Grand Cherokee would do half that and overdrive couldn't be used with any significant weight on it.

13. Giantvanman

Giantvanman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
    I think they mostly have MTW of 2.5 - 3T dependant on age and engine. The 4cyl L'c is 3t limit as well I believe.

Budget tow- older Discovery, Mid- LR Def 110 or Shogun, High- Toyota L'c V8. All have 3.5T tow limit. My thinking on towing is always have more capability than needed.

2 people like this.
  14. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    A solution might be to render said quadruped first - I suspect the glue in final form would be well under 100kg so eminently suitable for the boot of the MX5 (think of it as rear end stabiliser - a sort of tail Finn as it were).

Would certainly beat driving along at 30mph in a noisy old diesel thingy with your Missus.

15. paul_c

paul_c Hardcore MB Enthusiast

The best towcar I ever had was a W124 300TE, and that includes comparing to a Land Rover Discovery and 2x Shoguns. Unless you go for a big engine (the proper 4x4s both had 2.5 litre turbodiesels, which is 'small') then performance is going to be poor especially during towing. And if the engine is big, then fuel economy will be very poor, due to the vehicle's weight. So a lighter vehicle eg normal 2WD estate car instead of a 4x4 with a chassis - is better for occasional towing. If its muddy grass, or slopes, or proper off roading, then obviously the 4x4 is going to be able to cross fields etc but on tarmac the normal estate wins.

2 people like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    £10K or so.

The Series LR will go, it has only covered 550 miles in the last 3 years and a friend has always wanted it and has offered a decent price.

17. OP
    OP
    DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Charles. That is a classic, thank you for that, I had to wipe away a tear of laughter!.

I have shown the above to ma'am, I am sure you are familiar with the "humph" and the disdainful look only our fairer sex seem able to manage?:D

18. OP
    OP
    DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Friends have the 3 litre 4 cylinder Shogun, it is certainly not quiet but seemed quite subdued at 60mph on good tarmac, they tow a large caravan and have not found it lacking in power or torque so far.

Pick up has been ruled out!

19. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    Was it a D3 Discovery you tried?

Because that would probably fit the bill and the D3 onwards are completely different beasts to the earlier incarnations.

20. OP
    OP
    DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lee.

I have just checked with my friend who owned it, no it was a late Series 2 and it was awful. Lots of faults, suspension failures, electrical problems, leaks, vey poor acceleration and road manners from memory.