Suitable car required for dragging a horse box (plus horse!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Only circa £30k light...

As an aside I have been offered £2000 for the 1964 Series 2 LR, I bought it from a farmer with no MOT for £500 and it was rebuilt from the chassis up (by me) in 2004 but is hardly used so I am happy with that :)

Last edited:
Madam is now extending her outings on Finn (Or Big Bu**er as Woodythewise so rightly calls him:D) to local jump events. It has also been mentioned that attending events further afield is also on the agenda and therefore the 1964 LR S2 is no longer a suitable vehicle, not that it ever really was :(

If I am going to have to drag over 500Kg of glue on legs around plus horse trailer, kit etc then I want something capable, reliable and comfortable.

Heated leather seats, automatic transmission and a diesel engine are the must haves so I am thinking Long wheel base Shogun as friends have one and it has been a very good car. I am probably not going to look at LR products as I dislike the Discovery whenever I have driven one (admittedly a 2004 model) and find them ponderous old buses, Range Rovers are lovely but this needs something a little more utilitarian.

Land Cruisers have been discounted as "too big and ugly"

Input from anyone else that has to perform these duties would be welcome:thumb:

The obvious first question is - do you have a budget in mind ?
Second , since this is an M-B forum , have you considered ML , GL or G Wagen ?

If big and ugly is an issue, bear in mind a D3 is more or less the same size as a Landcruiser Amazon.

The D3/4s I have encountered (friends/colleagues) have been less than stellar on reliability though. All I've had to do with the Amazon in the last 18 months is routine servicing, as with the Colorado I had before it.

Last edited:
What's the budget?

The obvious first question is - do you have a budget in mind ?
Second , since this is an M-B forum , have you considered ML , GL or G Wagen ?

Already posted a budget, circa £10K

Not considering GL or G Wagen, not keen on the ML hence looking at D3, Shogun etc:thumb:

If big and ugly is an issue, bear in mind a D3 is more or less the same size as a Landcruiser Amazon.

Absolutely but the perceived size to madam is different! :D

My tip....Jeep Grand Cherokee from 2006 onwards with the Merc 3.0 V6 diesel. Great value 4x4's and very capable on and off road and for towing.

Older ML's with the 2.7 are also great towing cars and if you want a cheaper option a Nissan Terrano with the later 3.0 diesel and auto box.....they can pull out tree stumps with that engine and its pretty much bullet proof.

Or as a left field choice, how about my Series lla 1969 Landy which now sits on a Range Rover Chassis, has a 2.5 Peugeot turbo diesel and drives through a 5 speed Discovery Gearbox. So none of the nasty ride quality of standard series ll's and a much more punchy engine and she'll cruise at 70mph all day long. Retro looks but modern drive train....she could be up for sale

Last edited:
My tip....Jeep Grand Cherokee from 2006 onwards with the Merc 3.0 V6 diesel. Great value 4x4's and very capable on and off road and for towing.

Older ML's with the 2.7 are also great towing cars and if you want a cheaper option a Nissan Terrano with the later 3.0 diesel and auto box.....they can pull out tree stumps with that engine and its pretty much bullet proof.

Or as a left field choice, how about my Series lla 1969 Landy which now sits on a Range Rover Chassis, has a 2.5 Peugeot turbo diesel and drives through a 5 speed Discovery Gearbox. So none of the nasty ride quality of standard series ll's and a much more punchy engine and she'll cruise at 70mph all day long. Retro looks but modern drive train....she could be up for sale

Hmm getting rid of one S2 LR for another........................ I can imagine the look :D

This should make parking interesting then :D

Parking is always interesting regardless of the car being driven!

Hmm getting rid of one S2 LR for another........................ I can imagine the look :D

Ah ha....but this one now has fully independent coil spring suspension all round...what a difference to the ride quality!!!:p

Ah ha....but this one now has fully independent coil spring suspension all round...what a difference to the ride quality!!!:p

I could try explaining that but there would rapidly be a far away look and the words would drift, harmlessly in to the ether :D

Already posted a budget, circa £10K

Not considering GL or G Wagen, not keen on the ML hence looking at D3, Shogun etc:thumb:

No worries ; I saw the price when I read further through .

Just another thought ....

If some of the equestrian events are over a weekend , and an overnight stay might be involved , how about a camper van ?

Some campers are based on large van chassis and have decent towing capacity , besides being comfortable and well appointed inside . There are even some , like the VW Transporter with Syncro transmission , which have 4x4 capability for getting into and out of fields .

Oh , and camper vans tend to hold their value quite well .

Maybe not what you're looking for , but just a thought .

Last edited:
If you are not attending too many events, why not hire a van based horse box? Have a look on Horse and Hound or Autotrader, much easier than towing and you have somewhere to make a culpa, and a 7.5 tonner will have living accommodation as well.

Last edited:
No worries ; I saw the price when I read further through .

Just another thought ....

If some of the equestrian events are over a weekend , and an overnight stay might be involved , how about a camper van ?

Some campers are based on large van chassis and have decent towing capacity , besides being comfortable and well appointed inside . There are even some , like the VW Transporter with Syncro transmission , which have 4x4 capability for getting into and out of fields .

Oh , and camper vans tend to hold their value quite well .

Maybe not what you're looking for , but just a thought .

Oh if only you knew her!

I have mentioned this suggestion, no words were needed for me to be completely sure of her thoughts:D

If you are not attending too many events, why not hire a van based horse box? Have a look on Horse and Hound or Autotrader, much easier than towing and you have somewhere to make a culpa, and a 7.5 tonner will have living accommodation as well.

Thanks.

It is a thought but we will be moving stables shortly and will need to do a lot more ferrying around so I think having permanent wheels for the task is going to be the best way forward:thumb:

That will be a first even for a Range Rover ;) ;)

Yes... not very independent.

How about an early Range Rover 3... or did I miss that?

BMW technology ......

..... oops Merc forum

I have been offered a 2007 Range Rover with the 4.2 Supercharged engine for a rather good price, it all came about from a conversation at the stables, the car is a one owner, fully LR Dealer serviced on 134,000 miles, dealer fitted tow bar, HPI clear etc.

It has also had a new gearbox fitted at 120,000 miles and the suspension has had all 4 airbags replaced in the last two years.

I am being offered it at around £2000 under book price as the owner wants a hassle free no nonsense sale. I am rather tempted as I doubt it will cover more than 3000 miles a year so fuel costs are not something to worry about.

All electrical items work so is there anything else I should be looking for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom