Suitable car required for dragging a horse box (plus horse!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lee.

I have just checked with my friend who owned it, no it was a late Series 2 and it was awful. Lots of faults, suspension failures, electrical problems, leaks, vey poor acceleration and road manners from memory.

Thought as much...

Try a D3; you wouldn't believe it's from the same manufacturer as the D2. I owned mine for about eight month and besides the cost of an engine service (which I knew about before I bought it), it never went wrong.

Jeep grand Cherokee 3.1TD , can tow 3.5t and very comfortable, just happen to be selling mine, give me a shout if interested.

SWIMBO takes 2 x 15h+ Morgans around the shire for team chases and other events, she has a Y reg shogun 3.2Did LWB, regular workhorse that has only blown a gasket once (due to lack of maintenance by her ex), and required rear drive train redoing since she got it in 2004 - it's worth next to f'all but is a comfy, practical drive. At present value, paid for itself many times over during (rare) winter conditions.

Last edited:
my immediate reaction when I saw the post title was;

put the wheels back on the horse box, then you won't have to drag it. :D

Provided you're not going to far off road (I'm assuming a field will be all it's asked to do) then an X5 might fit the bill. My ex-boss has run several for towing his race cars. If you can live with the fuel costs, the 4.8 V8 pulls a 2 ton trailer like it's not there, and without the trailer it's a complete hoot - it would nearly match my old Impreza on the 0-60 dash and corners like a 2.5 tonne 4x4 has no right to. They're also relatively cheap as everyone wants the 3 litre diesel.

Here's a nice looking 4.6 in budget:

BMW X5 4.6iS V8 5dr Auto

Cheers,

Gaz

And iirc, if you get a pre 2004 the road tax is cheaper due to emissions and age. Failing that I think you need a more recent (2009+?) example else it's expensive to put on the road. Check the DoT website.

Something like this might be perfect > 2003 MITSUBISHI SHOGUN 3.2 Di-D Warrior 5dr Auto | eBay

The relationship of the cost of VED to emissions changed in March 2001 and again in , I think March2006 so a bit of flexibility there :thumb:

ah ok, I don't know the years, but worth looking out for.

Oh, SWIMBO gave me another nudge and said if I wasn't such a tight **** I'd buy this horsebox she's got here eye on > 3 Horse Horsebox Leyland DAF | eBay

...time for a (another) drink..

A bit left field but Nissan Patrol's are a good reliable towing workhorse and the later ones have leather, wood etc. that you need and are in budget.

cheers, Steve

ah ok, I don't know the years, but worth looking out for.

Oh, SWIMBO gave me another nudge and said if I wasn't such a tight **** I'd buy this horsebox she's got here eye on > 3 Horse Horsebox Leyland DAF | eBay

...time for a (another) drink..

You or her?:D

The problem with buying extra capacity is that they will want to fill it :)

You or her?:D

The problem with buying extra capacity is that they will want to fill it :)

ah yes, the nags get much better treatment than me or the kids..

still, breaking ice on water troughs and mucking out in winter is character building, she tells me

Just had another nudge, (ffs sake, she should join..)

3 of her friends have disco's in varying states of disrepair

her farmer mates tend to run mitsis as commercials (shoguns with no rear seats or L200s) - on red diesel of course

Another has a Subaru, another an Isuzu trooper, another a Nissan Patrol

Her posh friend , lady x has a new RR, every year.

No german metal - at all

(she stood over me and dictated clearly and slowly, as if I'm a retarded 9 year old...)

ml 320 with lpg conversion should do the job a friend is selling one with panoramic, lamella roof which extra rare n 4k option when new

ah yes, the nags get much better treatment than me or the kids..

still, breaking ice on water troughs and mucking out in winter is character building, she tells me

Just had another nudge, (ffs sake, she should join..)

3 of her friends have disco's in varying states of disrepair

her farmer mates tend to run mitsis as commercials (shoguns with no rear seats or L200s) - on red diesel of course

Another has a Subaru, another an Isuzu trooper, another a Nissan Patrol

Her posh friend , lady x has a new RR, every year.

No german metal - at all

(she stood over me and dictated clearly and slowly, as if I'm a retarded 9 year old...)

She means well :)

I had a Trooper years ago, a 3.2 petrol I think, nothing fancy but went well and reliable, the only issue was the fuel tank seemed to have a hole in it :D

I will look at the towing weights for Subaru, thank you to you both!

I thought the idea of having a horse was that it does the pulling...

V10 Touareg or V12 Audi Q7. That is all.

Ha, ha. I love the madness, the Op wants to pull a horse box, not pose. It's like trying to reinvent the wheel suggesting those when one can get buy an excellent 4.2TD LandCrusier @ 8-15K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom