Summer convertible for £9k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan-mb

Car
E350 CDI coupe, CLS 320 CDI
So with summer not far away i am looking on getting a convertible for around £8-9k, with the recent drop in fuel prices and convertibles not yet back in fashion for the summer i think now is a good time to buy.

So im looking for:
- Preferably a German manufacturer
-4 seats
-Petrol
-Automatic
-Minimum 6 cyl engine
-Claimed combined MPG of around 25+ (so i can hopefully achieve approx 18-22MPG on short(ish) spirited runs :D
-No more than 75K miles
-Generally problem free car (no alfa's or TVR's etc)
-Nothing to hard core/modified
-Preferably NA engine
-Less than 10-12 years old
-No work needed
-Rust free
-AVOID BMW M3's

So far i have been looking at:
CLK55 AMG (209 pre face lift)
CLK 500 (209 facelift)
BMW 6 series (630i, 645i, 650i)

Any suggestions?

The 645 is the pick of the 6 series! It's also a better drive than a clk, the 55 is a great engine butttt personal preference says 6 series.

What about a 335i convertible? Within budget?

It's quite a tight market to be fair, other than the boat looking audi s4 there's not a lot out there. You could squeeze people into the back of a 911 carrera 996 but for a nice one now they're more 10k.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

The 645 is the pick of the 6 series! It's also a better drive than a clk, the 55 is a great engine butttt personal preference says 6 series.

What about a 335i convertible? Within budget?

It's quite a tight market to be fair, other than the boat looking audi s4 there's not a lot out there. You could squeeze people into the back of a 911 carrera 996 but for a nice one now they're more 10k.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.[I like the 335i but i just seem to see them every where (perhaps thats because they are so good?) two people on my road have them as well.
I agree with you on the S4 cab!
I had not considered the Porsche because of budget reasons but i will investigate further...i just dont want to buy one then have to pay for Porsche parts which are expensive even compared to MB if something does go wrong.
If it were a 2 seater i wouldnt have a problem choosing a car. I would of thought there were more cars available in this price bracket but i cant find any :dk:

I went through this process about nine month ago with a slightly less budget and ended up buying a W211 E55 instead!

With your budget, I'd look at a 2006+ Audi S4 which might mean a bit of a stretch but they are a really good car; roughly 340bhp and still look modern.

The 6 series is an acquired taste in both looks and how it drives, it does feel like a big old boat whenever I drive them (M6, 645i) but if you get over that they are really good value on paper.

A facelift W209 CLK500 would also be a good choice for your budget if mileage is your thing, you can pick up excellent, low mileage examples for less than your budget.

I know its not what you asked for but.....how about an A124? Proper 4 seater, looks a million dollars and, used lightly, you won't lose anything on the re-sale.

this one looks quite nice and not stupid money LINK

A standard 3.4 911 carrera 2 or 4 servicing is reasonable, parts aren't as mental compared to mercedes as you'd think.

In my opinion the others can't match the feeling of a well cared for Porsche and they are out there within your budget.

Auto or manaul boxes are ok but the manual is the one to have in my opinion as it allows you to use the power much more effectively.

Bear in mind that a drop top can become a 2 seater when the wind deflector is up - and having initially driven my 968 cab without one, I would say that a wind deflector is a necessity when the roof is down as it removes the back draft almost completely.

Re. back seats and convertibles ... as a kid I used to need a flying helmet and goggles in the back of my grandfather's XK 150S drophead!

I hardly ever bother with the wind deflector on my R129. It does make a big difference at high speed but I don't do many long motorway runs in it.

The S4 would be out on the basis of fuel economy, they are stupidly thirsty. Real world MPG struggles to hit 20/21.

I know its not what you asked for but.....how about an A124? Proper 4 seater, looks a million dollars and, used lightly, you won't lose anything on the re-sale.

this one looks quite nice and not stupid money LINK

yes i saw that add a while ago i think its been up for sale for a while. Nice cars but im after something a little sportier and newer. They are great soon to be classics!

I went through this process about nine month ago with a slightly less budget and ended up buying a W211 E55 instead!

With your budget, I'd look at a 2006+ Audi S4 which might mean a bit of a stretch but they are a really good car; roughly 340bhp and still look modern.

The 6 series is an acquired taste in both looks and how it drives, it does feel like a big old boat whenever I drive them (M6, 645i) but if you get over that they are really good value on paper.

A facelift W209 CLK500 would also be a good choice for your budget if mileage is your thing, you can pick up excellent, low mileage examples for less than your budget.

yes i like the CLK i have a 209 240 v6 atm but its a bit slow and i want i cab, i was looking at the CLK 500 and they seem very good value for money, i think i would be looking for the Sport models of the CLK 500. BUT a small part of me thinks i may regret getting a CLK 500 as i would be wanting the CLK55 AMG. Decisions!:wallbash:

As for the S4 im not a fan of the looks and they seem to have pretty poor performace for a V8 and poor mpg.

A standard 3.4 911 carrera 2 or 4 servicing is reasonable, parts aren't as mental compared to mercedes as you'd think.

In my opinion the others can't match the feeling of a well cared for Porsche and they are out there within your budget.

Auto or manaul boxes are ok but the manual is the one to have in my opinion as it allows you to use the power much more effectively.

I have had quick little browse of Porsches tonight i had presumed the 911 was out of my price range/criteria but there seem to be some nice ones out there. Im just trying to work out the specs and what each model is as im not farmiliar with Porsches. Good shout!

As for the S4 im not a fan of the looks and they seem to have pretty poor performace for a V8 and poor mpg.

It'll keep a CLK55 honest, so not exactly poor. MPG is woeful though.

Bear in mind that a drop top can become a 2 seater when the wind deflector is up - and having initially driven my 968 cab without one, I would say that a wind deflector is a necessity when the roof is down as it removes the back draft almost completely.

good point i hadnt really thought about that. The rear how ever would be used for the dog as i dont have kids and occasionally used for friends...as i wont be in the back i will just keep a blanket there for them lol. Is that cruel of me? :rolleyes:

dan-mb said:
I have had quick little browse of Porsches tonight i had presumed the 911 was out of my price range/criteria but there seem to be some nice ones out there. Im just trying to work out the specs and what each model is as im not farmiliar with Porsches. Good shout!

Also, I'm 6ft 2 and have the seat right back, I have had 4 blokes all over 6ft in there. Not spacious but not bad!

dan-mb said:
yes i like the CLK i have a 209 240 v6 atm but its a bit slow and i want i cab, i was looking at the CLK 500 and they seem very good value for money, i think i would be looking for the Sport models of the CLK 500. BUT a small part of me thinks i may regret getting a CLK 500 as i would be wanting the CLK55 AMG. Decisions!:wallbash: As for the S4 im not a fan of the looks and they seem to have pretty poor performace for a V8 and poor mpg.

I can vouch for that. The CLK500 is a wonderful & comfortable convertible cruiser....but it is missing the 'cutting edge' of the AMG. It drinks gas as fast, costs the same to insure (virtually) and rips through rear tyres as quickly, but is really quite docile and I spent three years with one trying to make it more like the 55. Spend the few extra quid and get the real thing.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

So having just been racking my brain again all of a sudden i though of the jag XK8/R. I had not thought of it before, they seem to be ridiculously cheap? I keep coming back to the BMW 645 and the CLK. Having a CLK atm i like it but wouldn't mind a change...the BMW seems to offer a good all round car and very good value for money but the looks are a bit marmite i used to dislike the looks but they have grown on me and as im driving it i wont see the outside!
Thanks for those who pointed out the Porsche aswell the thought of owning one puts a smile on my face but i think i need to do some more research on them and scroll through some Porsche forums, any one any experience with a 911 Carrera or Carrera S cab? From what im seeing it would be circa 1998-2002 with about 80k miles stretching my budget and probably more thirsty than i would like.

So having just been racking my brain again all of a sudden i though of the jag XK8/R.

The big problem for me with those is that the hood doesn't retract fully when down. Looks just about OK if you put the tonneau cover on but awful without. Presumably you have to carry the tonneau cover in the boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom