Summer Drink Drive Campaign.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trapperjohn

MB Enthusiast
Car
124 300D 24V Estate
Just popped down to the lads house to feed his animals whilst he is away.

On the way back at 0815AM I was directed into a lay-by by the boys in mostly hi-viz.

Brief intro on what they were doing. "Last time you had a drink Sir" Told him.

Blow into this - ZERO.

How sad is that after two days of National Celebrations.

On my way in less than two minutes though. Official, Courteous and Brief. Well Done Lancashire Traffic Division.

You think it's cynical to target such a campaign at a time when people may have over-indulged?

I would have thought that, tactically speaking, the timing make perfect sense - there's no excuse for people to drive while under the influence, national celebreation or otherwise.

You think it's cynical to target such a campaign at a time when people may have over-indulged?

I would have thought that, tactically speaking, the timing make perfect sense - there's no excuse for people to drive while under the influence, national celebreation or otherwise.

Not at all. I'm all for keeping drivers under the influence of anything off the road.

Ah, so you meant that it's sad that such a campaign should even be necessary? Apologies - I clearly got the wrong end of the baguette...

Its the way I present my baguetts at times :)

I'm all for zero tolerance on this one however I'd much prefer the police do this sort of thing at night when the habitual drink drivers are out rather than trying to catch someone a couple of mils over the limit due to the previous days drink. There's a big difference between deliberately drinking and driving to being slightly over the limit however the punishments are roughly the same

Whilst (while?) drink-driving is an obvious scourge, how do these lay-by tests stand up legally? As in, what if you refused to pull in because you've done nothing wrong, don't the police need a reason to pull you?

The arrogance of people these days! That's hardly for you to decide...

Prtecisely SPX, go and read your George Orwell again!!;)

Whilst (while?) drink-driving is an obvious scourge, how do these lay-by tests stand up legally? As in, what if you refused to pull in because you've done nothing wrong, don't the police need a reason to pull you?

I thought it was an offence not to comply with the instructions of a police officer? As to the validity of them asking you to stop, well that comes later but I do not believe that you can legally refuse the initial request unless you have reason to believe that you would be in danger in doing so?

I didn't mean for it to come across that way, it's more of a comment on being stopped by the police for no reason, in general.

Fair enough, but try out-running the police in "the land of the free and the home of the brave" because you believe you've done nothing wrong, and see how far you get. Would certainly take some form for bravery...

Posssibly said tongue in cheek? or guilty until proven innocent?:D

No, it was a straight point. I may be driving along oblivious to some fault on my car (eg: inoperative lights) or unaware of some misdemeanour I may have committed. But if instructed to stop by a police officer I would do so without question.

Where would we be if people were to decide for themselves whether to stop? (Well, Doncaster, I suppose...)

Fair enough, but try out-running the police in "the land of the free and the home of the brave" because you believe you've done nothing wrong, and see how far you get. Would certainly take some form for bravery...

Is it within the powers of the police to stop you for no reason then, that's my question?

I have heard of 'stop & search' in London, but I don't quite know the ins and outs.

I worked and lived in New York for a few years. Two I things I was told by a friend who was/is a serving NYPD officer.

1) Never run when challenged to STOP by the NYPD. They are to unfit to give chase, where as a bullet has no such health concerns.

2) Their motto is Ready... Fire.... Aim. Twiching people still shoot back so best take no chances.

Is it within the powers of the police to stop you for no reason then, that's my question?

I have heard of 'stop & search' in London, but I don't quite know the ins and outs.

My point is that it is rather presumptuous for one to decide that they have no reason before having even been stopped.

They now do not need a reason to stop you, I think you used to have to have committed a moving traffic offence , if your car looks dodgy you can expect a tug from SYP. Theres some serving officers on here who I'm sure will correct me if I'm wrong

Also if you are nervous about stopping you are quite within your rights to drive to the nearest police station as the police use some strange unmarked cars these days and it could be any d*ckhead with blue strobes in the grill looking to rob you as was the case recently in Sheffield

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom