Summer holidays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Flew into Skiathos last year and went to one of the local islands. Had a great time holidaying with another family but my mate forgot to book hire cars in advance and the only one left when we got there was a Suzuki Jimny.......

This year going back down to Lacanau which is near Bordeaux. Stayed in the same lovely villa in 2015. You can cycle everywhere, several beaches close by, Atlantic waves, Bordeaux 30 mins away when you need a hit of city.

No Jimny this time. Will just have to slum it in the E500 with cooled seats.

And the Style IV's I've just bought from Woodythewise. My birthday present to me.

Taking part in the lacanau pro?

Skopelos or Alonnisos?

Alonisos. My mate who's now in his early 50's has been going since he was a kid when his mum bought a place there.

There was a bit of a reunion last year as both his brothers there with their families and two other sets of friends with their kids who'd also started going in the 70's too.

All the brothers are from London and I regularly see them at QPR and other events so it was nice to transplant that to such an amazing island and hear all their stories of running will there as kids.

Taking part in the lacanau pro?

On the basis that I have to ask you what that means I guess the answer is "no".

Surfing? Cycling?

EDIT; oh so THAT's what was going on the last time we were there. TBH we missed it as we'd spend all day at the beach then retire to a fantastic, quiet villa amongst the trees for sun downers and a family meal.

It was getting pretty er...lively down in the centre....

Last edited:
On the basis that I have to ask you what that means I guess the answer is "no".

Surfing? Cycling?

The world pro surfing tour passes through in August, if I'm honest I guessed that you weren't taking part but, like me, it could have been the Atlantic swell which first took you to Lacanau.

I've been going for decades, from camping in the pine forests to renting those rather nice villas on the road to the lake with the private pool backing onto the golf course.

It's been a couple of years since our last visit but have been thinking of a return sometime soon.

Off on a road trip tomorrow. Gretna Green, Penrith, Carnforth, Hebden Bridge, Masham, Chester Le Street, Pickering, Ilkley & Holmfirth.

Steam trains will feature at the Keighley & Worth Valley Rly and the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Rly.

Movie & TV locations visited will be Brief Encounter, Emmerdale, Heartbeat & Last of the Summer Wine.

Eden Camp and Beamish are probably the two biggest "must do's" for us, but the Ilkley toy museum and the Black Sheep brewery are also on the list.

The convertible has had a Tom Tom fitted to help us find our way around. Travelling fairly light, not just because of boot space but also because we are mainly staying in pubs with rooms so no heavy cases to lug up the stairs.

Hopefully the weather will be suitable for topless motoring - Ms Meldrew has stocked up on industrial quantities of hair products!

Last edited:
We are off to Switzerland, interlaken to be precise at the end of August and then on to Malcesine on lake Garda from there.

The whole trip will take just over two weeks and we are taking the car, so should see some lovely scenery on the way down through the alps

Really really looking forward to it as long as we don't have Cinderella on repeat from the back!

Maybe try I spy instead!

^ One of my favourite spots in Switzerland along with Lucerne and Bern. Good driving roads too. Enjoy!

Yes Interlaken, Bern and Lucerne are my favourite spots in Switzerland too. Beautiful scenery in roads off motorways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The world pro surfing tour passes through in August, if I'm honest I guessed that you weren't taking part but, like me, it could have been the Atlantic swell which first took you to Lacanau.

I've been going for decades, from camping in the pine forests to renting those rather nice villas on the road to the lake with the private pool backing onto the golf course.

It's been a couple of years since our last visit but have been thinking of a return sometime soon.

It's beautiful in the forests. We're half way between the town and the lake. Found it on air bnb. Beautiful place v relaxed.

We'd avoided the Atlantic when the kids were younger but now they're old enough they love it. Hoping to get them into a surf school.

With my dodgy Achilles I'm restricted to swimming and boogie boards but not complaining.

We are off to one of our favourite places in Menorca, 20 apartments around a central pool. Beach 5 minutes drive, shops and decent restaurants just a walk round the corner. Port Addaia down the hill, awesome fresh fish restaurant La Cantena. Us and two other families are going.

Day on the beach with the kids, down to the Cantena at night, back and sit by the pool drinking Xoriguer gin and lemon.

We are off to one of our favourite places in Menorca...

One of my favourite summer spots, Menorca. Also my favourite airport in Europe - so easy to get through, especially compared to the likes of Barcelona.

Last year I was dropped off at Liverpool John Lennon. Within 15 minutes I had dropped my bag, got through security and was sat with the first beer of the holiday. Returning home, the experience at Mahon airport was about as quick.

Last year I stayed in Son Bou - at a Sol hotel directly on the beach, large pools and lots of bars and restaurants (including an excellent Indian) within a couple of minutes' stroll. Although it was just a few days' break on my own, it is a perfect spot for a family holiday.

Sa Barrera in Cala en Porter is a lovely boutique hotel - beautiful rooms around a peaceful pool... breakfast served in the dining room or on the pool terrace, dinner also served on a terrace overlooking the bay. Not cheap, but very friendly, excellent food and on the occasion when I was let down by the taxi company, they even gave me a lift to the airport. A terrific couples' hotel.

The Barcelo Hamilton in Mahon is also a lovely hotel, with a short stroll to bars and restaurants in beautiful Cales Fonts. I stayed there several years ago - just after a refit, but before the prices started to reflect the money they had invested.

^^^^^^^^^

After talking about it - I started thinking about it.

So I've just booked three days in Son Bou for later this month.

We're off to Budapest, Prague and Vienna on the 25th of August for a ten day road trip. In late July we will go for five days to Parga (Ionian sea).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just got back from a week in the lakes with the Wife, Father in law, 2 adult kids, their partners and 2 dogs. We hired a converted barn for the week and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I now need a rest, so the wife and I are off on a two week cruise around Norway and Iceland at the end of the month.

gianton said:
We're off to Budapest, Prague and Vienna on the 25th of August for a ten day road trip. In late July we will go for five days to Parga (Ionian sea). Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
We have some friends in Parga and we are thinking of driving over around the 27th of July.

Already been to the Maldives for a fabulous couple of weeks in February with my wife and 2-year old daughter. They're now in Mongolia for three weeks while I stay at home to get some work done. My son has a house in South West France so we'll probably drive down there for a few days in the late summer.

Off on a road trip tomorrow. Gretna Green, Penrith, Carnforth, Hebden Bridge, Masham, Chester Le Street, Pickering, Ilkley & Holmfirth.

Steam trains will feature at the Keighley & Worth Valley Rly and the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Rly.

Movie & TV locations visited will be Brief Encounter, Emmerdale, Heartbeat & Last of the Summer Wine.

Eden Camp and Beamish are probably the two biggest "must do's" for us, but the Ilkley toy museum and the Black Sheep brewery are also on the list.

The convertible has had a Tom Tom fitted to help us find our way around. Travelling fairly light, not just because of boot space but also because we are mainly staying in pubs with rooms so no heavy cases to lug up the stairs.

Hopefully the weather will be suitable for topless motoring - Ms Meldrew has stocked up on industrial quantities of hair products!

Tanfield railway a stones throw from Beamish if you like a ride on a train

Tanfield railway a stones throw from Beamish if you like a ride on a train

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've looked on line, and it seems that no trains are running when we are there (midweek) but will bear it in mind for future.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom