Summer is a time for Grilling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sweeney

Car
CLK 200K conv '03
Shortly to collect my w208 CLK and have been reading with interest the debate over trad grilles vs star grilles

I have ordered via e-bay the star grill ( see inset) and a flat badge.

I believe it lifts the front of the car from staid to sporty in one easy and economical swoop.

Ok, Merc aficianados will know what's what, but thats only 0.0000001% of my fellow road users :D

Am sure there will be some with the opposite opinion.:)

2guh6ba.jpg

I quite like the star grille, but there is nothing like the feeling of driving along with the upright badge leading the way

Prob is, I don't think both work in tandem.

Plus the upright star for me makes me think retired bank manager tootling down to the golf club.

Stereotyped brainwashed I may be, !

Waits for the knock at the door......

I love the upright star, point it where you want to go and waft along.

Each to their own.

IMHO it works great on a wide grille SEC/r107 etc.
It really doesn't work on the narrower ones.

Its not a matter of liking the star on my car (Although I do!) - I need to to tell me where the front starts... It's saved my bacon when parking a couple of times ;)

for those who thought the thread title was BBQ based...

apologies for any confusion:)

nox0k6.jpg

I wouldn't do both, but the star grill with flat badge might be okay. Photos plesae when its fitted.

Personally I love the upright star, it lights up like a glitter ball in the French tunnnels.

Sincerely yours,
Frank O'Phile
(retired bank manager, off for a pottle down to the golf club)

I wouldn't do both, but the star grill with flat badge might be okay. Photos plesae when its fitted.

Personally I love the upright star, it lights up like a glitter ball in the French tunnnels.

Sincerely yours,
Frank O'Phile
(retired bank manager, off for a pottle down to the golf club)

will do Frank... enjoy your round !

Don't worry what others think, it's your car after all! Post some pics when it's fitted please.

I fancy something different on mine, I've seen colour coded grills on other black Mercs (not 208s though), so I'm giving that a try. I've bought a 2nd hand standard grill off ebay for a grand total of £12, it's been prepped for paint, and now I'm waiting for the paint to be delivered. I'll post pics when it's done. If it looks cack, I'll just put my own grill back on, no harm done. :)

Don't worry what others think, it's your car after all! Post some pics when it's fitted please.

I fancy something different on mine, I've seen colour coded grills on other black Mercs (not 208s though), so I'm giving that a try. I've bought a 2nd hand standard grill off ebay for a grand total of £12, it's been prepped for paint, and now I'm waiting for the paint to be delivered. I'll post pics when it's done. If it looks cack, I'll just put my own grill back on, no harm done. :)

Thanks, for that... don't worry, I do have my own opinion and that is what counts.

I think it borders on the pompous when you get people shouting the odds about not meddling etc or Mercs should only be seen in Silver etc etc :)

Last edited:
LOVE the star, it commands respect ;)

I can't wait to have another one:eek: :)

Thanks, for that... don't worry, I do have my own opinion and that is what counts.

I think it borders on the pompous when you get people shouting the odds about not meddling etc or Mercs should only be seen in Silver etc etc :)
Hmmm
You submit a nice thread inviting debate and hopefully you will get folks that like your new grille and will possibly get posits that go the opposite way; are those that don't agree being pompous? ;)

As a pompous old fogey I like the olde skool star on the bonnet. Many years ago most, if not all cars had a bonnet emblem, but slowly they have all disappeared. I enjoy being pompous and like the gun sight on the end of the bonnet, but those that remove it are not mad, bad, or 'pompous'. We are all individuals and all hopefully expressing an individual opinion?

I personally really like your car and the choice of colours is to me the perfect combination.

The grille is all about individual choice and whatever floats your boat.

Regards
Pompous old John

i like these aslong as the new star on the grille takes up all the slats. i dont like the ones that are small and leave full slat above and below it.

i like these aslong as the new star on the grille takes up all the slats. i dont like the ones that are small and leave full slat above and below it.
Agreed, in part.

If the grill is the right shape and star is proportionally the right size then it looks good. I always thought it was a bit odd that the 208 CLK had an upright ornament when all the other coupés had a flat ornament with radiator star. It might have been something to do with the shape of the grill, after all it was styled to match the 210.

There is nothing wrong with the radiator grills with the "big star" but they are often poorly executed and cheaply manufactured. Might see if I can photoshop something that looks good and OEM.

EDIT: There is basically no way to put a "big star" radiator grill on a 202 or 124 and make it look good. This is not opinion, this is fact! The radiator grill is not the right shape.

Hmmm
You submit a nice thread inviting debate and hopefully you will get folks that like your new grille and will possibly get posits that go the opposite way; are those that don't agree being pompous? ;)

As a pompous old fogey I like the olde skool star on the bonnet. Many years ago most, if not all cars had a bonnet emblem, but slowly they have all disappeared. I enjoy being pompous and like the gun sight on the end of the bonnet, but those that remove it are not mad, bad, or 'pompous'. We are all individuals and all hopefully expressing an individual opinion?

I personally really like your car and the choice of colours is to me the perfect combination.

The grille is all about individual choice and whatever floats your boat.

Regards
Pompous old John

Thanks P.O.J. :)

To be fair, it's not the replies on this thread that I was attributing the pompous tag to.. I have read many threads where the Traditionalist's replies are quite curt and brusque when someone dares to venture from the norm.

Almost... "How Dare You"- esque

I quite agree, we all have our opinions and that's what makes the world a varied place.

Thanks for yours.

David (old but not) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom