Summer Opening / Convenience Closing

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by RT Merc, Jun 28, 2006.

1. RT Merc

RT Merc New Member

Car:
    C270 CDI Avantgarge
    Hi
    Does anyone know how to reset the Auto opening and closing feature.

I have tryed to hold down the lock button on the remote whilst pointing it at the driver door but it don't close the windows.

Any ideas

2. amwebby

amwebby Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CL500
    The remote key needs to be almost touching the infra red receptor on the door for this feature to work.

3. SimonsMerc

SimonsMerc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S212 E350 CDI BlueEfficiency Sport 256bhp, VW Passat B6, Suzuki GSX-650F, Suzuki DRZ-400SM
    Mine works from a good few metres away...

-simon

4. amwebby

Car:
    CL500
    Having had a new battery fitted to the car, the summer opening closing feature now works from a good few metres away, so I guess that was the problem.

After a day of cruising the seafront in summer mode, the closing feature refused to work. Now the opening feature is refusing to operate too. Could this be because my battery is running a little low from all that slow driving?

5. miro

miro Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 slightly modified
    You probably need a workshop to check your OCP (overhead panel) to see if it is draining your car battery by keeping it awake.

The OCP is also the location of the security decoding which takes place in recognition of your key.

Now if there is a physical fault (wiring harness) then it will show with the correct tests. The Mercedes system can test every single variable in the chain of events.

6. mchips

mchips Member

If I understand your situation/question, whenever your battery has been changed or disconnected you must then resynchronize each of the windows and the sunroof before the feature will work. Look in your owner's manual. It basically involves holding each button in a cetain postion when the car is not running and the key is turned into the correct position.

7. miro

Car:
    W203 slightly modified
    For the windows it is generally a matter of pushing once more and holding once the window has reached the upper or lower limit.

8. amwebby

Car:
    CL500
    No, the summer opening/closing worked fine once the new battery (the first since the car was made in 1999) was fitted. It is only after a day of town driving that it refuses to work. I'm going to take the car for a good run to give the battery a boost and see if the battery is the cause.

Miro, overhead control panel? Where is that?

9. miro

Car:
    W203 slightly modified
    Overhead. Also the location of the reading lights and roof switch.

10. television

television MB Club Veteran

Car:
    R230 SL500
    If the battery is 4 year or over, all of the driving in the world may not help if 1 cell is parcial short circuit taking the voltage down to 11.75 or lower.
    before you start the car in the morning, measure the voltage over the battery, if when you start the car the voltage does not rise to much over 12v then the battery is on the way out. Normal running voltage is 13.8 or a touch more.

Re setting windows etc must be done with the key turned to 2 (ign on) and holding the switch for 10 sec.

malcolm

11. miro

Car:
    W203 slightly modified

If the OCP is drawing current and keeping the car awake it will suggest that the battery is doing poorly. It is something I dealt with recently in another CL500.

you would really need an amp meter and close all of the doors and lock the car. After 30min you would take a reading and hope it is much less than 50mA. If not then there is excessive current draw.

12. television

Car:
    R230 SL500

Those faults are the hardest to find, as in the 03 onwards you now have the MOST bus to contend with.
    Accurate clamp meters are now getting cheaper, when doing these faults I remove the rubber boot seals when the battery is in the boot so that the boot can be closed to lock.
    The CD changer does not go to sleep on my SL (OBD11) but as all of the rear interior has to come out it can wait till the summer, I have fitted a timer that kills it after ½ hour.

Malcolm

13. amwebby

Car:
    CL500
    Thanks for the elucidation regarding the overheard control panel Miro. I realised after I posted what you meant. Doh!

The battery is now new folks, and the summer opening closing feature worked fine for at least half a dozen times. Then the closing refused to work, in a hand car wash while everyone was admiring the CL of course. I individually closed the windows and sun roof and then the opening feature worked, so I was able to drive off in some style. Subsequent attempts to use the opening feature have seen the doors unlock, the indicators flash constantly and a clicking/whirring noise to emanate from the rear 3/4 panel but no windows winding down.

Is it possible the power save is preventing it to stop excessive drain?

14. television

Car:
    R230 SL500
    I think that as you have a new battery you do need to check the voltage over it,if the remote functions do not operate when the standing voltage on the battery is around 12.5 volt, then the fault is elsewhere.

If the voltage is around 11.75 then you do have a drain somewhere, I believe that your set up is the same as mine with the VRLA battery in the boot. In my case when ever I started my car from over night, the consumers were switched off for the first couple of mins,due to the drain of the CD changer.
    Test the voltage,thats basics,always a good place to start.

Malcolm

15. miro

Car:
    W203 slightly modified
    MOST goes to sleep in several minutes but what I do find is that OCP, door modules and seat modules fart around when they misbehave. At least several MOST components can be flashed to perform better.

16. miro

Car:
    W203 slightly modified
    I had a client present his car to a designated workshop where upon being diagnosed with excessive current draw we replaced the head unit four times and on the last call I told them to try something else.

They turned up with the OCP and as that controls key decoding it seems logical. Does the radio key work (long distance unlock / lock)

17. miro

Car:
    W203 slightly modified
    MOST optical devices have constant power because they use WAKEUP lines to fire up. Failing to sleep in a MOST device is usually a sign of a major fault.

18. amwebby

Car:
    CL500
    I just got back after a run (not very fast in bank holiday traffic :-( ) and wound all the windows down and opened the sun roof. Then I pressed the close key and help it down and, voila! the summer closing worked! Tried pushing the open key and holding it down, nada, save the indicatros flashing and the sound of a servo in the rear wing trying to do something. any ideas?

If it does need a reflash, what does that usually cost?

The CD changer definitely goes to sleep after a few minutes.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  19. amwebby

Car:
    CL500
    Just did another 50 mile run. As soon as I got back I tried the summer opening feature. Nothing.

Went inside, had a coffee. Read Miro's post about radio key working. Unlocked and locked doors and boot from front room.

Went outside. Tried summer opening. It worked!

Go figure.

20. miro

Car:
    W203 slightly modified
    Get your modules scanned and the OCP error code cleared.