Summer opening feature no longer works (windows)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Other possibilities below.

Dec

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Just done this on my 2004 W211. Melted the stuff off the circuit board using a paint stripper gun. Like someone else here, I couldn't get a zip tie to fit through the hole in the door. Brilliant video though. Only one small niggle with the job - it's put a small amount of haze around the face of the sensor. Not enough to really worry about though. Used a bit of bathroom silicone sealant to recover (re-cover?) the circuit board.

I know this might sound a bit daft, but mine stopped working too, and it turns out the sensor on the door, because the sun had faded it (see pic), it somehow stopped it from working, even up close. I licked my finger, rubbed the sensor Thinking it might be road dirt blocking it, and whilst it remained wet, it was back to normal! When it dried off and went back to faded, stopped working again! Weird, I know. 🤣

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
I know this might sound a bit daft, but mine stopped working too, and it turns out the sensor on the door, because the sun had faded it (see pic), it somehow stopped it from working, even up close. I licked my finger, rubbed the sensor Thinking it might be road dirt blocking it, and whilst it remained wet, it was back to normal! When it dried off and went back to faded, stopped working again! Weird, I know. 🤣
Well, when your headlights are opaque this reduces the light output.

I suspect it's the same for this, the infra red finds it difficult to penetrate the opaque window...when you wet it, the light goes through easily. A little polish may do the trick. T Cut?

You could try some liquid cutting compound, that won’t be as harsh to the surface.

...A little polish may do the trick. T Cut?

I thought that, but then thought it might actually just be adding another layer that the IR can't get through? I might give it a go though, see what happens. Worse case, I have to clean it off and hope nobody spots the nutter licking his thumb and rubbing the door handle on hot days! Cheers.

[Sorry OP for the hijack].

I thought that, but then thought it might actually just be adding another layer that the IR can't get through? I might give it a go though, see what happens. Worse case, I have to clean it off and hope nobody spots the nutter licking his thumb and rubbing the door handle on hot days! Cheers.

[Sorry OP for the hijack].
T Cut will not add anything to the little window.

I hate to be the one to say it but the global opening feature on Mercs is absolute rubbish and to be honest better without it.

I understand that Mercedes deliberately made it this way to prevent opening all the windows by accident but the fact you have to be inches or centimetres from the drivers door even when it works perfectly is a little pointless in my opinion.

Through all four mercs i have owned it's easier just to unlock, press the window switches and enjoy the scenery for 20 seconds.

The upside is it's so difficult to get it to work that you have worries of the windows opening by accident which has happened to my better half and her Zafira several times.

I hate to be the one to say it but the global opening feature on Mercs is absolute rubbish and to be honest better without it.

I understand that Mercedes deliberately made it this way to prevent opening all the windows by accident but the fact you have to be inches or centimetres from the drivers door even when it works perfectly is a little pointless in my opinion.

Through all four mercs i have owned it's easier just to unlock, press the window switches and enjoy the scenery for 20 seconds.

The upside is it's so difficult to get it to work that you have worries of the windows opening by accident which has happened to my better half and her Zafira several times.
It depends on the car spec. On mine, it also opens the sunroof and switches on the driver's seat ventilation, so a few extra button presses saved!

Mine was hit or miss. I undertook the repair process and it works OK. Ironically it works pretty much 100% in freezing cold weather and struggles a bit on the hottest days when it (might) be needed most ! I can live without it.

Mines stopped working ages ago. I did the repair last night, only took around 30 mins. Just used a hairdryer to get the silicon off and sealed back up with sealant. All working fine now and can open the roof with the keyfob again....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom