Summer Opening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edd1968

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK 320, CLK 55 AMG & 2 Friesian Horses!
Technical question: Our CLKs have the natty feature of pressing and holding the unlock button on the key fob it opens all the windows simultaneously (to vent hot air when going back to the car on a hot day) similarly when their all down and you press and hold the lock button everything shuts up (including sunroofs if you have one)
It's a feature on a few German manufacturers and it's great - when it works!
Well ours has stopped working on this and it's a bit annoying as I can't fathom out why not. Batteries changed in the fob etc. The only thing I can think that's changed is at some point both cars have had their batteries disconnected since trying this.
I have set everything back up how things were on the settings but other than what's in the manual, there doesn't appear to be any information on this feature.
I also know that #killerhertz has a youtub vid of this feature.
Can anyone shed any light on why both cars would stop working. I tried it on my friend's C63 the other day and it works.

Are the sensors on the door and the IR sensor at the end of the key in good condition? without any scratches, cracks or chips?

Your cars are not new...it works less well as they get older.

Try actually touching the fob to the port on the drivers door handle...hold it steady and hold it long.

I thought the IR receivers on the doors used to die off eventually - moisture/corrosion etc?

Probably worth making sure the batteries in the keyfob are fresh too :thumb:

It will be the solder joints (cracked) on the circuit board of the IR receiver on the driver’s side door.

I repaired my own car and my brother’s CLK before.

20-30 minute repair job.

Thanks all for your input. Cleaned the hell out of both IR bits on fob and door. Didn't work. Held it against said bit on door, didn't work. So the last one Major774 will no doubt be the issue Dam and blast. It worked 2 months ago!!IMG_20190416_174805.jpg
Would this IR face constitute as being knackered?

If you point the key at the camera lens on your phone you will be able to see the infra red coming from the lens of the key. This will prove the key to be good and point to receiver problem as outlined by Major 774

Mine is temperamental too. I thought I was going to have to take the door apart, then it started working again.

It's not a feature I use very often.

If you point the key at the camera lens on your phone you will be able to see the infra red coming from the lens of the key. This will prove the key to be good and point to receiver problem as outlined by Major 774
Yeah done that and key fine so yes it looks like it is in the door. I don't use this feature very often but I like everything to work. Ho hum

Last time I tried the windows all down trick we had to drive all the way home down the motorway with the windows stuck down! Oh how my wife and kids laughed. Of course worked perfectly when we got home. I was the only one without helmet hair. Banned in our house.

Last time I tried the windows all down trick we had to drive all the way home down the motorway with the windows stuck down! Oh how my wife and kids laughed. Of course worked perfectly when we got home. I was the only one without helmet hair. Banned in our house.
Pmsl - Ooops :eek::D:D

It will be the solder joints (cracked) on the circuit board of the IR receiver on the driver’s side door.

I repaired my own car and my brother’s CLK before.

20-30 minute repair job.
I hate electronics. I studied it whilst at school and we made our our own pcbs. But that was 1000 years ago in the dark ages, I mean dark eighties!
Is it a door card off job or can I prize off the wee cover bit where the ir receiver is?
If it's complicated I'm gonna live without it!! ;)

I hate electronics. I studied it whilst at school and we made our our own pcbs. But that was 1000 years ago in the dark ages, I mean dark eighties!
Is it a door card off job or can I prize off the wee cover bit where the ir receiver is?
If it's complicated I'm gonna live without it!! ;)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I liked the way if one held the Recirc button on the climate control the windows would all close, then hold the button again and they would open again to their previous open positions. Worked on the sunroof as well...

No need to remove door card, as the video shows it's in the door handle. if you can use a soldering iron you can fix this.
Did it on mine last summer and still works fine now.

I liked the way if one held the Recirc button on the climate control the windows would all close, then hold the button again and they would open again to their previous open positions. Worked on the sunroof as well...
Yes that still works. Excellent if someone drops one in the car!! :eek::eek::D

Perfect. Thanks Abs.
The last time it worked was when I sent you that video demonstrating it, remember ;)

Just watched the video. 3 guesses what I'm doing this weekend ;)

Perfect. Thanks Abs.
The last time it worked was when I sent you that video demonstrating it, remember ;)

:) It doesn’t work on my W211 either if that makes you feel better :p

:) It doesn’t work on my W211 either if that makes you feel better :p
I'll mend it when you come up here. What do dealers charge 500 bucks Was it? I'll do it for 499 if you like :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom