summer time wheels refurb......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonboyE63

Car
2012 E63 Wagon
Should probably be in another section but as it's an E63 i thought i'd post here first....
The wheels on my 2012 E63 need a refurb - i believe they're the expensive forged 19"s & look like they've not been refurbed before...
Do i go diamond cut & OEM look or go for a refurb & powder coat - i'm thinking the grey colour on the inserts currently on the wheels would suit..
I've read stories of the laquer cracking/lifting on refurbed wheels & wanted some advise etc.
Thanks

Last edited:
Should probably be in another section but as it's an E63 i thought i'd post here first....
The wheels on my 2012 E63 need a refurb - i believe they're the expensive forged 19"s & look like they've not been refurbed before...
Do i go diamond cut & OEM look or go for a refurb & powder coat - i'm thinking the grey colour on the inserts currently on the wheels would suit..
I've read stories of the laquer cracking/lifting on refurbed wheels & wanted some advise etc.
Thanks
This is what I did to my original diamond cut wheels..It may give you an idea on looks.

I wasn't keen on the original black wheels and wanted something different so had them powdercoated in a silver grey wih more grey in it than silver.

Attachments

• Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    395.8 KB · Views: 39
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 37
I would stick to OE finish. They’re nice wheels, they deserve it :cool:
I agree that they're great looking wheels in their OE finish, but...
Nice indeed but the white worm could visit early .
And this is the nub of the problem.

If you catch it early and there's no kerb rash or other damage on the rim then you can get away with the lightest of refacing skims, but there's still a limit to how many times you can skim the face of a wheel.

If you're using the car as a daily driver, including through the damp winter months when there's salt on the roads, then diamond cut wheels will generally start to deteriorate - showing clouding as a minimum and more likely the start of obvious white worm - after 3 years at best. If you're happy to bear the cost of another refurb at or after that time then fine, but eventually you'll run out of wheel to skim. If you can keep the wheels for summer and have a second set with a regular painted finish for winter use that you're not so picky about then that will significantly extend the life of the expensive diamond cut forged wheels.

Thanks
Hi , my wheels on my car were refurbed by MB and have failed after 3 years as you describe.

They do fail but I must say I do not clean my car very often.

You can have wheels resprayed to produce a similar effect as diamond cut wheels.( That's the route I am taking )

Diamond cutting removes metal from the road wheel and can you guarantee that they have not been cut before.

You will receive other recommendation that you need to evulate.

This is what I did to my original diamond cut wheels..It may give you an idea on looks.

I wasn't keen on the original black wheels and wanted something different so had them powdercoated in a silver grey wih more grey in it than silver.
Thanks.....that's nearly the colour i have been thinking off......

I agree that they're great looking wheels in their OE finish, but...

And this is the nub of the problem.

If you catch it early and there's no kerb rash or other damage on the rim then you can get away with the lightest of refacing skims, but there's still a limit to how many times you can skim the face of a wheel.

If you're using the car as a daily driver, including through the damp winter months when there's salt on the roads, then diamond cut wheels will generally start to deteriorate - showing clouding as a minimum and more likely the start of obvious white worm - after 3 years at best. If you're happy to bear the cost of another refurb at or after that time then fine, but eventually you'll run out of wheel to skim. If you can keep the wheels for summer and have a second set with a regular painted finish for winter use that you're not so picky about then that will significantly extend the life of the expensive diamond cut forged wheels.
Thanks....good advise - i was thinking about a winter set of wheels as i use the car throughout the year & live in the sticks but to honest i'll probably go OEM this time & see how long they last...

See the E63 mentioned on here a little while back, where the wheels had been machined so heavily that the all of the face detail (the AMG badge and the bottom of spoke recess) were totally gone.

T

They look tons better

Hi, I’ve just taken the wheels of my C63 back to the original spec including the diamond cut. The previous colour was too dark but now the wheels look great. It’s a summer use only car so hope they stay that way for a good while. Cost me less than £400 from a place in Leeds. Very, very happy with the change. Paul

Attachments

• FA608B0E-6359-47BD-9E06-A55B2A488A8D.jpeg
    FA608B0E-6359-47BD-9E06-A55B2A488A8D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • 1A774CB6-1607-4E2B-A2D6-986D21A99251.jpeg
    1A774CB6-1607-4E2B-A2D6-986D21A99251.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
So, I went to the local recommended wheel refurb company & they advised against diamond cutting the wheels again - the AMG logos on the wheels indicated several past refurbs - shame, as I wanted the OEM look. I opted for a refurb & powder coat in dark grey & they look good (in my opinion) - the company did a good job & the wheels give the car fresh look.

Attachments

• wheels 1.jpg
    wheels 1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 9
  • wheels 2.jpg
    wheels 2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 9
  • wheels 3.jpg
    wheels 3.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 9
  • wheels 4.jpg
    wheels 4.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 9
They look great.

I will have to take this route next time they need doing as previous owner's refurb has been done badly with no AMG logo visible (I presume it had not been done many times as car had only done 15.5k miles when I purchased in December)! They are the original wheels with correct AMG product code stamps etc.). Decision will be whether to for the (other) OEM matt black look, or a non standard grey (they look really good in post #4). Personally I like the dark grey, but not on a black car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom