Summer vs all season vs winter tyre group test video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
realy are insurance companys that fussy

Good test and video

I wasnt intending fitting my (Hankook) winters this year and selling or just binning them as I am not going up north for work anymore

If I can sacrifice dry braking though, they might still be a good idea for the New Year and Snowmageddon in February along with the wet and cold we have from now till then
I am breaking traction under acceleration on my summer Contis now.... (In the morning mainly)

You might not, but I do, and it usually takes a few days to melt too. One of the things you learn to live with at higher altitudes.

But how many people in the UK are at 'higher altitudes'.

So this is an edge case - valid for a tiny minority but not representative of the vast majority in the UK.

Snow and ice aren't a straightforward case.

Living on a busy in central London, and leaving home typically no earlier than 7, the road itself is usually clear of snow and ice due to the constant traffic.

I can only remember two instances in the past 20 years where the roads around central London were covered with heavy snow to the extend that it didn't melt due to traffic.

So of course it depends on where you live and where you are driving to.

Reactions: m80
On a colourfull historical side note the Nokian snow tyre in the test the Hakkapeliitta R3 derives its name from a a Finnish light cavalryman in the service of King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden during the Thirty Years' War (1618 to 1648). and variously spelled as Hackapelit, Hackapelite, Hackapell, Haccapelit, or Haccapelite. These terms were based on a Finnish battle cry hakkaa päälle (English: strike upon [them]; Swedish: hacka på), commonly translated as "Cut them down!"

Nice video and a bit surprised with the result of Summer tyres dry braking up to 0, however it relates to brand new sets of tyres, but doesn't say anything about what happens with them after few seasons. Does anything changes and by how much? We all at some point drive on new sets which we keep for a couple of years but the rubber changes in time, particularly the Summer compound which is harder.
I agree with the others that all seasons are probably the most economical for driving in the UK only all year round without Winter trips to the continent.

My thoughts precisely, i.e. if the summer tyre is only marginally better in summer than the CrossClimates, why bother swapping?

Based on the data in this video, my conclusion is that for the UK weather the answer is simply fitting CroseClimates all year around.

Exactly the conclusion I came to in January this year - I run CrossClimates on the W204 and my Insignia Sports Tourer, and have never regretted it. The wet weather grip is also fantastic - far better than the Goodyear Eagle F1s I was running on the Merc

On a colourfull historical side note the Nokian snow tyre in the test the Hakkapeliitta R3 derives its name from a a Finnish light cavalryman in the service of King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden during the Thirty Years' War (1618 to 1648). and variously spelled as Hackapelit, Hackapelite, Hackapell, Haccapelit, or Haccapelite. These terms were based on a Finnish battle cry hakkaa päälle (English: strike upon [them]; Swedish: hacka på), commonly translated as "Cut them down!"

Very interesting.
I am struck by the similarity of the name of the Finnish / Swedish battle cry and the name of a pre-match routine of a southern hemisphere country famed for their rugby.

I.e. Hacka or Hakkaa and Haka in NZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom