Sun Roof retro-fitted?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pitts Pilot

Car
SL63 AMG 6.3, VW Tiguan 2.0
There comes a time when every new forum member finally feels brave enough to ask a really daft question; something so silly that they don’t realise what a plonker they are being by asking it. That time has arrived!

Having just bought a 2007 SL350 I ignored the obligatory Panoramic roof, and bought a car without one because it had ABC suspension instead, and that’s as rare as hen’s teeth – on a 350 anyway. (It also transforms the ride comfort and handling significantly).

So now I’m thinking “Won’t it be nice to have a glass roof after all?”

Well, having a Pano retro-fitted would be possible from a technical point of view, but prohibitively expensive.

SO, (here’s the daft question): How about I get a professionally fitted sunroof. Nothing fancy, just a basic tinted tilting glass roof 750 x 380mm. I could even have it permanently sealed in the down position; after all the MB Pano doesn’t open.

Cost fitted by Bristol Sunroofs £220. See the Picture below.

Would it be MB blasphemy? De-value the vehicle? Would it be a good or daft & silly idea?

Apologies in advance :doh:

100hatchlargeimage.jpg

Cars are like houses, don't be influenced by the future sale of them, you have to live in them [ drive them now ]. If you have seen their work and you're happy and you're sure you want one then go for it. And get one that opens

When I was younger (70s) having a sunroof was the dogs, I think Webasto was the name to go for. You could have them fitted to most cars apart from the ones that had structural parts under the lining, Volvo was one of the those that had to be fitted from build.

lower the roof and buy a hat and scarf
Actually, I already have the hat...

I test drove another SL350 with the Pano roof, (but without ABC), and the glass brought some welcome light into the car and made it feel a little less claustrophobic.

When I was younger (70s) having a sunroof was the dogs, I think Webasto was the name to go for. You could have them fitted to most cars apart from the ones that had structural parts under the lining, Volvo was one of the those that had to be fitted from build.
Thanks for the advice on Webasto. I've Googled them and there are four dealerships within reach of me, including "R & S CoachBuilds", which I am wondering might do bodywork better then most?

Of course I'd have to see whether they are fitting them to Ford Fiestas or premium cars first...

My dads done this a couple of times over the years ad he claims to need a sunroof.

Without fail the result has been more wind noise and rattles

I wouldn't.

If you really want to do this get a panoramic roof panel from a breaker and have it fitted.

My preference would be to not do this with any aftermarket sunroof.

you will destroy the value of your car with anything other than a retrofit of a genuine mb pano roof.

My dads done this a couple of times over the years ad he claims to need a sunroof.

Without fail the result has been more wind noise and rattles

I wouldn't.

You have reminded me of a Toyota Rav4 I bought a few years ago that had an after-market sun roof fitted, and that rattled ALL the time! Bl**dy annoying actually :dk:

If you really want to do this get a panoramic roof panel from a breaker and have it fitted.

My preference would be to not do this with any aftermarket sunroof.
The “enthusiasm-o-meter” for this hair brained idea of mine is falling fast! Thank you :)

Thanks Paul
I think you are spot on :)
I will simply enjoy the car that I bought..

I would do that.

I would only ever consider adding bits to my car if they are OEM and I can ensure they will be fitted properly. In this case, the sunroof looks like the one a friends son has fitted on his 15 year old Peugeot 106 which leaks and looks nothing like the stuff you will find fitted on a Merc of any age.

I would do that.

I would only ever consider adding bits to my car if they are OEM and I can ensure they will be fitted properly. In this case, the sunroof looks like the one a friends son has fitted on his 15 year old Peugeot 106 which leaks and looks nothing like the stuff you will find fitted on a Merc of any age.

Funny you should say that. In 1956 Webasto delivered the first steel sunroof to none other than.....DAIMLER BENZ at their request for the types 180 till the 220 as well as for the 300er special class (ARDENAUER)

Have a read about them (Webasto) they have a history dating from 1901 I understand.

Thinking of the 70s and a Webasto sunroof, who remembers having a vinyl roof? and perhaps the plastic shutter type things over the rear of cars like the Capri, looked cool but made cleaning the window a right pain. To say nothing of stick on bullet holes.

Thinking of the 70s and a Webasto sunroof, who remembers having a vinyl roof? and perhaps the plastic shutter type things over the rear of cars like the Capri, looked cool but made cleaning the window a right pain. To say nothing of stick on bullet holes.
"...stick on bullet holes." OF COURSE, I had forgotton all about those! Now they WOULD look cool; Halfords?. LOL

Louvres, you have it in one, sounds so much better than 'shutter type things' The ones fitted to the Capri were fixed, had they been movable they would have been more practicle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom