Sunny day ending with rocks Grrrrrrr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
After having done the Engine mounts i thought id take the Cdi for a steady drive to Colchester to get some plants for the fish, Jeeez expensive day out it was :(

Coming back along the a120 50mph in cruise inside lane where i should be, Spotted around 10 large stones, rocks, flit what ever it was, i swerved "staying in my lane" to try and miss these rocks.

I felt one tyre which tbh i thought was the front run over one of these items, the car didn't shudder or pull so on a carried.

About 5 miles further i slowed for a roundabout, as i exited the roundabout the car cut the power just as i heard a bang! i glanced in the rear view mirror to my horror load of blue smoke and a scraping sound from under the car!

merc85-albums-volvo-c70-cab-picture9843-blow1.jpg

merc85-albums-volvo-c70-cab-picture9844-blow2.jpg

merc85-albums-volvo-c70-cab-picture9845-blow3.jpg

The NSR tyre had blown out smashing the rear splash guard and damaging the arch liner deep joy. :mad:

After id fitted the Space saver and got home luckily only another 5 miles away i reported it to the Highways agency which was easer said than done, And they really were totally uninterested.

Ouch. Sorry to see this.

What do you think happened? The rock caused the tyre to blow after 5 miles?

Did the tyre loose pressure before blowing - anything showing on TPMS?

Re The Highway Agency, if there is an immediate risk of accident, I would probably inform 999.

Sorry to hear that gav. Iam like you about how car should be presented and would be gutted! More money to spend to get her as like new. Looks like it didn't damage your rim though thank god.

I think the rock holed the side wall and the tyre went down slowly I didn't realise I was driving easy as usual an I don't have tps. My wheels n tyres were mint prior to this. So damage was Deffinatly due to hitting the object.

Sadly the perils of running large diameter wheels and very low profile tyres. Normally associated with pothole damage the same effect might be achieved by simply running over a large enough object at speed --- the effect being to compress the tyre wall to where its " nipped" between the road [ aka pothole/rock ] surface and wheel and suffers irrepairable damage. Bad luck.:(

245 40 18 is not that large but yes agreed should have kept my Std set of 245 45 17s on may have faired better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom