Sunroof rattling only when tilted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KLee

Car
to No.1 brand in reliability
Hi all, I've got a sunroof issue which has been around for 2+ years and I think I should really look into as it is annoying me more now. The W202sunroof operates fine but rattles with every bump on the road when it is tilted up only. No sounds when fully retracted open, just when tilted up. As mentioned in threads before, it is very difficult for the driver to hear the source, I even went as far as use the left hand to poke around whilst driving in an effort to stabilise something anything to pin point the offending part.

Any clues with my car age coudl be the cause? Thanks

This is quite unusual on a 202.

Check for tight mounting screws and make sure it has been properly lubricated.

MB do some special sunroof creak/lubricating grease which I have a pot of.

Is it from the roof or the sliding cover?

Well I'm not sure where the rattle is coming from - since the underside of the sunroof is the same soft vinyl lining as the rest of the cabin roof and the sunroof outer is the same colour coded body panel, I'd imagine that the rattle is coming from the somewhere between the two. I know this is not saying much. I guess I was looking for more info or a schematic of the whole assembly so we can see which moving parts are likely candidates.

I believe I have identified the source of the rattling :) It comes from the RHS of the sunroof (driver side). It is this bar just outside of the fabric curtain that moves in concert with the sunroof tilting up and down. There is an identical one of the LHS too. The RHS has comparatively a lot more play than the LHS one. I think more lateral play I'd say. I cannot see beyond the curtain to make out what needs tightening - can anyone give a diagram or pointers? I'm going to have another look see. At least I am half way there with identifying it. :D

ANyone with a W202 had similar issues?

yes mine rattles as well when tilted not when it is slid all the way aft.I can not be bothered though as i never tilt it anyway.

Ive got the same problem on the w211 Panoramic roof, but I doubts its a quick fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom