Sunroof Recall CLS55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carlos2k

Car
CLS55 AMG
Had a recall letter from MB regarding the bonding of the sunroof on the CLS ref SRPC2109. Took it to the local stealer 2 weeks ago and only just got it back!

Turns out mine didn't fail the bonding test, instead, it completely ripped the runroof off its rails meaning they had to order an entire sunroof and rails from Germany, trouble is now the new sunroof doesn't make a tight seal against the original rubbers meaning water drips into the rail well.

Anyway after somewhat of a heated discussion with the service manager telling me it's a design feature and that its ok for water to leak through (i don't think so) they have eventually agreed to replace the rubber seal, it was like getting blood out of a stone but hopefully, it'll be replaced next week.

Just a word of warning to anyone who is thinking of taking theirs in for the test. The test itself comprises of applying suction cups to the glass and applying 300KG of lift (no wonder it ripped it out the roof) and chances are you'll just get a new roof without the seals unless you get involved.

Pretty disappointing service from MB.. when i first reported the leak they said they would look into it, left it in their carpark in the rain for the day and didn't even bother to clean their debris off the dash.

MB Derby??
After discussions with them and Mertrux I decided not to have the test done on my CLS55.
Mertrux service reception is good and the guys know what they are doing. MB Derby do not fill me with confidence.
If it ain't broke don't fix it - or fix it until it is broken.

Yup, they're the ones! I wouldn't have normally bothered but it's my 4th letter from them now.

Do Mertrux do cars as well as commercial? I may go that route if need MB again.

Yup, they're the ones! I wouldn't have normally bothered but it's my 4th letter from them now.

Do Mertrux do cars as well as commercial? I may go that route if need MB again.
Yes, Mertrux are a franchised and authorised service and repair centre for MB cars. Only difference is that they know what they are talking about and don't hide behind the dollybird at dealer reception.
I use an indy for routine service tasks but Mertrux carried out a major repair recently and explained the whole thing before and after.

Unfortunately even the dolly’s weren’t anything to write home about 🤣 I’ll bear that in mind next time. Thanks for the info, live and learn. 👍🏼

Carlos, thanks for this post . It is the first one I have seen regarding what exactly happens with the sunroof recall. My car is on the list and I got the letter before covid struck and subsequently have not had the time (or inclination) to take the car to be checked.

Considering this recall was for approx. 750 000 cars worldwide I would have expected to have seen more 'horror stories' like yours on line . But so far ..not so many ? 🤔

Carlos, since we are both in the Derby area with CLS55 we should link up sometime.
Here's mine
ambergate v2.jpg

750k! they'll be a global shortage of sunroofs next 😅

That sounds good Teego! Not many CLS55s around. What colour is that one? Mines blue too.

mystic blue cls55.jpg

is that deigno blue or tanazanite. I have a tanzanite with cashmere leather. In five years I have only seen 1 other blue one and now two come along in the same post!

Its Designo Mystic Blue with porcelain leather 👍 Until this post i was still yet to see a blue one

Mine's Designo Mauritius Blue with matching Designo Nappa leather seats.
Car is totally stock apart from a custom remap and derestrict.

I had a recall letter from MB about 12 months ago for the same sunroof issue affecting W211s (SRPC2001) on my 2004 S211 E320CDI (now part-exchanged for an S213). I decided that after 16 years if the sun roof was going to debond it would have done so long before. I declined the opportunity to have my sunroof inspected - cynically, I think it was just a marketing exercise to get MBs in for a 'health check'. Judging by the OP's experience, I'm glad that I didn't.
If you do a search on this forum for Sunroof Recall, you'll find similar threads with owners experiences.

I had a recall letter from MB about 12 months ago for the same sunroof issue affecting W211s (SRPC2001) on my 2004 S211 E320CDI (now part-exchanged for an S213). I decided that after 16 years if the sun roof was going to debond it would have done so long before. I declined the opportunity to have my sunroof inspected - cynically, I think it was just a marketing exercise to get MBs in for a 'health check'. Judging by the OP's experience, I'm glad that I didn't.
If you do a search on this forum for Sunroof Recall, you'll find similar threads with owners experiences.
This all started in the States where there are more lawyers than checkout operators in supermarkets.
MB don't need to go to this expense to get cars in for a "safety check" aka repairs upsell.
Years ago my wife's 10 year old BMW was recalled for a radiator cap "problem". She got a free radcap and BMW got the car back on their system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom