Sunroof Recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anybody heard anything about the pending airbag recall?

Had my S211 booked in today for the check/work. Dealer rang 45 mins before drop off to advise that the tool has not been received and now on back order from Germany so not to drop in today - will contact when the tool is received although they do not have date for this. Disorganised centrally at MB?

Hi this is correct we are still awaiting our tool. Probably should've released the paperwork to customers after tools received at dealers

The "sunroof recall" took place today at my nearest main dealer. On arrival, I was informed that my car would be given a free vehicle health check. The "3 hours required to carry out the inspection" turned into 6 hours. I was given a report on the car's mechanical condition, sent a video of the underside of the car showing the faults and the cost of repairing them. Top of the list of items requiring work was the replacement of 2 x "corroded" rear brake pipes - at a cost of £1728. I'll say that again.....£1728! The total estimate for repairs was over £2500, which as the car is 15 years old, is probably close to what it's actually worth.

The car has been regularly maintained by my trusted indie for the last 8 years, and it's done around 500 miles since he MOT'd it in February. It'll be interesting to hear his comments when he sees the report and has watched the video, especially as he worked on it only three weeks ago.

Unsurprisingly. given the pandemic and the state of the economy, the dealership was absolutely awash with cars - every inch of on-site parking space was taken -as was parking on the road, on the grass verges - anywhere and everywhere it was possible to park - there was a car. Now a cynic might say that the real reason for Mercedes sending the "recall" letter was to entice me to a dealership, "highlight" some "essential" repairs in the hope that I might be tempted to help reduce their stock of unsold cars, or at the very least keep their service technicians employed for a day or two and sell a few more parts.

Not me. Oh no.

On the other hand, I am just a tad suspicious of M-B's motives as there was not one word mentioned about the condition of the sunroof - which is precisely why the car was there in the first place.

The "sunroof recall" took place today at my nearest main dealer. On arrival, I was informed that my car would be given a free vehicle health check. The "3 hours required to carry out the inspection" turned into 6 hours. I was given a report on the car's mechanical condition, sent a video of the underside of the car showing the faults and the cost of repairing them. Top of the list of items requiring work was the replacement of 2 x "corroded" rear brake pipes - at a cost of £1728. I'll say that again.....£1728! The total estimate for repairs was over £2500, which as the car is 15 years old, is probably close to what it's actually worth.

The car has been regularly maintained by my trusted indie for the last 8 years, and it's done around 500 miles since he MOT'd it in February. It'll be interesting to hear his comments when he sees the report and has watched the video, especially as he worked on it only three weeks ago.

Unsurprisingly. given the pandemic and the state of the economy, the dealership was absolutely awash with cars - every inch of on-site parking space was taken -as was parking on the road, on the grass verges - anywhere and everywhere it was possible to park - there was a car. Now a cynic might say that the real reason for Mercedes sending the "recall" letter was to entice me to a dealership, "highlight" some "essential" repairs in the hope that I might be tempted to help reduce their stock of unsold cars, or at the very least keep their service technicians employed for a day or two and sell a few more parts.

Not me. Oh no.

On the other hand, I am just a tad suspicious of M-B's motives as there was not one word mentioned about the condition of the sunroof - which is precisely why the car was there in the first place.
They got you back on the database. Watch your inbox.

Not me. Oh no.

FYI I had the rear brake pipes replaced last year at my indy 6.2 hours at £552+VAT.

Also, I'm surprised that they don't offer a generous discount for older vehicle. Sandown offer 40% off labour and 25% off parts!

Reactions: 219
Appointment this morning. In summary, the reception girl is easy on the eye, the EQC is quite handsome and the coffee is good. The staff are friendly and the seals on the sunroof are fine, so no free upgrade for me. Booo.

No coffee on offer at the dealership, on my visit - just bottled water. Receptionist(s) nothing special, sadly.

As a follow up, I forwarded the vehicle health check video and report to my trusted indie - who knows the car inside out. He looked at it last night. This morning, over the phone and off the top of his head, he went through every item on the list of items allegedly requring attention and surprise, surprise, none of the work actually needed to be done. He didn't comment on the sunroof - but then again, neither did the dealership!

Thank you Mick (again). It's no wonder your customers think the world of you and you're always busy!

Had my car booked in at the Slough dealership yesterday and collected today. No issue with the sunroof but 100 pounds lighter for diagnostics with no fault findings but both error codes still active on my dashboard. A letter to MK will go out on Monday to complain about their business practice.

Had my car booked in at the Slough dealership yesterday and collected today. No issue with the sunroof but 100 pounds lighter for diagnostics with no fault findings but both error codes still active on my dashboard. A letter to MK will go out on Monday to complain about their business practice.
did you pre authorise the £100 charge?

What warning lights

did you pre authorise the £100 charge?
I did ask to do the diagnostics while the car is there in order to clear the failure codes and was aware of the cost in doing this. What I did not expect was that they done the diagnostics and pressurized the system without any findings but did not clear the codes. The main aim was to get rid of those error messages on my dashboard. So, I paid for the diagnostics and the time they have spend in doing this work but still got the malfunction warning when starting up. Half job done but full price charged in my opinion.

And the lights are still showing ?? If so did they say what may be causing this ?
If not happy talk to the service manager and see what he says

And the lights are still showing ?? If so did they say what may be causing this ?
If not happy talk to the service manager and see what he says
Yes, the warning message still comes up. I will give them a call tomorrow as the guy I spoke to when picking up the car didn't know nothing.and couldn't comment.

Yes, the warning message still comes up. I will give them a call tomorrow as the guy I spoke to when picking up the car didn't know nothing.and couldn't comment.
Did you get anywhere with this

Mine is going in Monday to Waterhouse, She'll be also having some new Brake Disc's too :)

Did you get anywhere with this
I spoke to the service manager. Apparently, the sensor might be at fault as they pressurised the system without any issues. They could not clear the codes and stated that in order in doing so the sensor would need replacing. At this stage I did not even ask for a price guide. Wasted 100 quid in knowing the sensor might be faulty. Next B service is due at my local garage, they can then sort this out without feeling I am ripped off.

Not me. Oh no.

If you're anything like me , you'll be removing the offending pipes ( if indeed they're not beyond cleaning off surface corrosion with a wire brush and painting with Hammerite ) then making up a couple of new ones for less than a tenner's worth of materials , then doing the brake fluid change that will probably not go amiss . Total cost £20 or £30 , including fluid , plus a bit of time ...

£1728 pretty much fails the 'best value' test for me . Even if you are officially meant to drop the rear subframe to do the job , one can usually get round it by making the pipe in sections and joining them together still using proper flared connections ( that was how I did the pipes on my W140 ) . I used about a roll and a half of KuNiFer pipe to do the whole car , so about £30 worth . I wonder what M-B would've wanted for that ? It is an absolute sin when I see cars in scrapyards , condemned only because of rusty brake pipes that were deemed 'uneconomical to repair' .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom