Sunroof Recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
FYI I had the rear brake pipes replaced last year at my indy 6.2 hours at £552+VAT.
Not unreasonable given the guy has to charge for his work and make a profit ; but I'd still rather it was just a Saturday of my own time and keep £500 of the money in my own pocket ...

Took mine in for its check, took the guy five minutes. My car is outside the dates require. He could have told me that on the phone, no coffee, no free check, nowt.
Suppose that I was lucky in “no doom” report, not that work would go there way.

Reactions: 219
Coolant Check Level and Washer fluid Top up
Surely if you fill up the washer bottle the light will go out ?

Or has the connection to the sensor either got dirty and making bad contact or become unplugged ? Other possibility is algae/fungus growing in the bottle and has gummed up the float - sometimes faults are real and need to be actually fixed rather than a fault code cleared .

I'd also be asking whether , in the first place , the coolant level actually IS low ?

Can't you look at that , if you don't have a transparent header bottle , then take the pressure cap off when engine is cold and look inside . If there is a coolant loss , it needs to be investigated - at best could be a loose hose clip somewhere , at other end of the scale it could be water pump , holed radiator , cylinder head gasket failure ....

Took mine in for its check, took the guy five minutes. My car is outside the dates require. He could have told me that on the phone, no coffee, no free check, nowt.
Suppose that I was lucky in “no doom” report, not that work would go there way.
My S203 , when I had one , did not have a sunroof . I wonder if we could put it past them to recall cars without sunroofs ? :D:p:rolleyes:

If you're anything like me , you'll be removing the offending pipes ( if indeed they're not beyond cleaning off surface corrosion with a wire brush and painting with Hammerite ) then making up a couple of new ones for less than a tenner's worth of materials , then doing the brake fluid change that will probably not go amiss . Total cost £20 or £30 , including fluid , plus a bit of time ...

£1728 pretty much fails the 'best value' test for me . Even if you are officially meant to drop the rear subframe to do the job , one can usually get round it by making the pipe in sections and joining them together still using proper flared connections ( that was how I did the pipes on my W140 ) . I used about a roll and a half of KuNiFer pipe to do the whole car , so about £30 worth . I wonder what M-B would've wanted for that ? It is an absolute sin when I see cars in scrapyards , condemned only because of rusty brake pipes that were deemed 'uneconomical to repair' .

It depends on car and budget. For me, I don't want joined brake pipes regardless of car age or condition.

My 1971 W113 needed new brake pipes, this car had been dealer serviced every year, for all its life and the dealer would have ordered the kit from Germany and cut it into 3 pieces and refitted it. Not for me, part of the cars value and provenance was its meticulous service over its 40k miles with myself and the original owner. So I sent the car back to the Heritage Customer Centre in Sindelfingen and had it done there at significant expense, by Mercedes, as it would/did come off the assembly line. There was other underbody work done (bushes, fasteners, and stripping and recoating of the underbody protection), it was well into 5 figures but in the case of such a vehicle it all came back on the value of the car.

I still have not booked my W203 in for the sunroof, was going to get it all serviced and through its MOT as I planned on taking it to the local JCT600 franchise, they like a bit of gouging so I was wanting to get it tip top by my Indy and have some fun with them.

It depends on car and budget. For me, I don't want joined brake pipes regardless of car age or condition.

My 1971 W113 needed new brake pipes, this car had been dealer serviced every year, for all its life and the dealer would have ordered the kit from Germany and cut it into 3 pieces and refitted it. Not for me, part of the cars value and provenance was its meticulous service over its 40k miles with myself and the original owner. So I sent the car back to the Heritage Customer Centre in Sindelfingen and had it done there at significant expense, by Mercedes, as it would/did come off the assembly line. There was other underbody work done (bushes, fasteners, and stripping and recoating of the underbody protection), it was well into 5 figures but in the case of such a vehicle it all came back on the value of the car.
Oh indeed , there's a huge difference between a cherished W113 and a car that is probably a daily driver , like my £500 W140 , on which I am happy to cut the brake pipes in sections and join them ( as they already are at the bottoms of the A pillar where the pipes coming down from the ABS pump are joined to the long pipes running to the back ; in fact most reasonably modern MB's have the pipes joined at this location , although my W140 has separate pipes all the way to each rear wheel , most models make do with a single pipe front to back and a T-piece somewhere in the middle , then separate pipes to each rear wheel ) ; I just put a coupler at the bottom of the C Pillar so that I could run one pipe up to the OSR calliper , and another to a position near the top of the subframe , then a second coupler for the transverse pipe crossing over to the NSR wheel . The pipework is 100% sound with proper male:male couplers onto which my flared female connectors fit ; I wouldn't consider it otherwise . If I ever happen to drop the rear subframe for any reason , I'd make up new one piece pipes as original at the same time , but just to get the car on the road , it's fine as it is .

Last edited:
Not unreasonable given the guy has to charge for his work and make a profit ; but I'd still rather it was just a Saturday of my own time and keep £500 of the money in my own pocket ...

You're 'spend shaming' me. ;)

Reactions: 219
My CLS55 is booked in at MB Derby for the recall check / fix. The first upsell was the offer to check and clean my A/C. No thanks. The second offer was for a free optional Health Check. OK, but if it's free why is it optional. They want my car for 6h. Why?

I'd be interested to hear of anyone else's experiences of the sunroof recall.

Does anyone know any detail on this sunroof recall that's in the news just now?

Does this affect pano roofs?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Hi , us mere mortals our safety is monitored by the DVLA !

What would happen if the Pano roof were to detatch from the car at 70 mph.

In the United States they do appear to have recalls on cars that are not recalled in other markets.

I don't think Pano roof is involved , although it effects 750 000 cars worldwide . I have the letter and will get it booked in as the curfew lifts over the next weeks. or months...

I think you miss the point with all this, just let us know where the nice receptionist is filling the coffee :)

Now if they could recall my 280E sunroof I would be very grateful. It’s rusted out.

Hi , us mere mortals our safety is monitored by the DVLA !

What would happen if the Pano roof were to detatch from the car at 70 mph.

In the United States they do appear to have recalls on cars that are not recalled in other markets.
Nope, our safety is not monitored by DVLA. Manufacturers ask DVLA to issue recall notices according to VIN. Sometimes I think they just do it to get cars back onto the dealers' systems. Long time ago BMW recalled 3 series cars for a header tank cap check. My wife's was about 8 years old at the time and was off BMW's grid. It would have been cheaper just to send everyone a new cap.

If a sunroof detached at 70mph you would be chased through the courts by the widow of the biker you decapitated.

Nope, our safety is not monitored by DVLA. Manufacturers ask DVLA to issue recall notices according to VIN. Sometimes I think they just do it to get cars back onto the dealers' systems. Long time ago BMW recalled 3 series cars for a header tank cap check. My wife's was about 8 years old at the time and was off BMW's grid. It would have been cheaper just to send everyone a new cap.

If a sunroof detached at 70mph you would be chased through the courts by the widow of the biker you decapitated.
Hi , I shall go and stand in the corner !

Received a second "suroof safety recall" letter from M-B this morning, 2 years after the first one (previously reported on in this thread). They're up to their old tricks again, trying to entice me to the dealership for another "fault finding" mission and a second bite at flogging me a new car. Sad that a historically reputable manufacturer resorts to these tawdry sales techniques.

Got mine too.
Note "While your car is with us, we will also take the opportunity to complete any additional technical upgrades."
Observations welcomed.

Received a second "suroof safety recall" letter from M-B this morning, 2 years after the first one (previously reported on in this thread). They're up to their old tricks again, trying to entice me to the dealership for another "fault finding" mission and a second bite at flogging me a new car. Sad that a historically reputable manufacturer resorts to these tawdry sales techniques.
Do you really think they have issues a recall to get you back into the dealer to buy a new car? If it really is a recall then there’s a whole process around that involving the country’s relevant Government department (that’s DVSA in UK). It’s only done if there’s a serious safety concern.

Got one too, might pop by for a cuppa and some parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom