Sunroof track clean and grease

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blitz500sl

Car
92' R129 500SL - 04' E500 Estate - 09' Smart 451 CDI
Hi what grease is recommended to lube up the sunroof tracks?

Thanks

The pukka MB stuff is allegedly Dupont Krytox, loads of different flavours of the stuff but IIRC it's gp105 or gp205... the former is an oil / wet lube while the later is the same stuff in a thicker paste/'grease' form. AIUI quite a few car manufacturers use exactly the same stuff for seals, sunroof tracks etc and it's insanely spendy from all of them? Dunno if they sell direct but GBR technology are the sole UK importers of Dupont Krytox

Any lube is better than no lube .Thats how the saying goes. Clean it all off every year and re grease it .Listen to me, i have never had mine open on this car , so i dont use it .

GBR used to sell direct, had a VW EOS in the family for seven years, the stuff was magic on the roof seals. Needed a bit of practice not to overdo it and smear the glass with it. Definitely kept the seals in best condition and kept the creaks and rattles away too.

Personally i'd say stuff like sunroofs is one of the exceptions to 'any lubricant is better than nothing'... various rubber seals and plastic bits that are either 'kin spendy to buy and/or a right PITA to replace. Some lubes don't do rubber or plastics any good (making them swell or get brittle etc) and even if the wrong lube doesn't attack them directly if it attracts dirt then after not very long you end up with an abrasive paste

Anyone could guide me how/where to grease the tracks in w211?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom