Supagard 100 Plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Headhurts

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes GLC
My car was purchased from new (2016 E350) and I opted not to have the paint sealant as I am pretty good at looking after my cars.

I quite quickly applied AG HD Wax and have also used FK101 along with Angel Wax QD detailer.

Sunday morning my neighbour who is a car salesman gave me a Supagard 100 Plus sealant pack, the one with the red and yellow coloured sponge whereby you puncture the yellow side 3 times and apply to car leave it on for a while and polish off.

As this is a freebie I thought that it would be worth a go.

I have read the merits and thoughts against this product but my question is can i apply this straight to my car as extra protection without removing any previous polishes, so will it adhere to the car without claying etc. and if it does can I also polish on top of this?

I do enjoy polishing the car finding it really relaxing.

Any advice would be well received.

No point putting sealant on top of wax, nothing for it to bond with. For best results and longevity you should clean, clay and IPA wipe the panels before applying the sealant. No problem with waxing once fully cured.

Last edited:
I too managed to swerve the £400 Supagard upsell by the dealer. In fact I think I spent longer refusing the paint protection than buying the actual car! That 100 Plus sponge can be had for around £20 on eBay. It is just a polymer sealant with an alleged 3-year lifespan. As with all paint sealants, direct bonding to the clearcoat is critical for success so, yes, it is very important to remove all evidence of previous coatings or the 100 plus will simply be "floating" on a film of your Autoglym HD Wax. You mention you have also applied FK101 in the past. I wonder if you really mean Finish Kare FK1000P which, although wax-like in appearance, is actually a high temperature sealant. Often used as a winter protection coating, this very hard sealant usually lasts around 6 months.

Like many, you find car detailing therapeutic. Supagard is best suited to people who find car cleaning more of a chore and hope that throwing a bucket of water over their pride and joy every 6 months will restore that showroom finish. I you do decide to deploy the magic Supagard sponge, I would advise stripping off your accumulated coatings with a paint cleanser and applying it to the virgin clearcoat. You can always put a conventional wax over the top of it if you yearn that monthly gratification. Dark paint just loves a quality ivory carnauba wax. When layered, it produces a depth and warmth to the paintwork which many find more pleasing than the crisp, sterile reflectivity of a sealant alone.

I too managed to swerve the £400 Supagard upsell by the dealer. In fact I think I spent longer refusing the paint protection than buying the actual car! That 100 Plus sponge can be had for around £20 on eBay. It is just a polymer sealant with an alleged 3-year lifespan. As with all paint sealants, direct bonding to the clearcoat is critical for success so, yes, it is very important to remove all evidence of previous coatings or the 100 plus will simply be "floating" on a film of your Autoglym HD Wax. You mention you have also applied FK101 in the past. I wonder if you really mean Finish Kare FK1000P which, although wax-like in appearance, is actually a high temperature sealant. Often used as a winter protection coating, this very hard sealant usually lasts around 6 months.

Like many, you find car detailing therapeutic. Supagard is best suited to people who find car cleaning more of a chore and hope that throwing a bucket of water over their pride and joy every 6 months will restore that showroom finish. I you do decide to deploy the magic Supagard sponge, I would advise stripping off your accumulated coatings with a paint cleanser and applying it to the virgin clearcoat. You can always put a conventional wax over the top of it if you yearn that monthly gratification. Dark paint just loves a quality ivory carnauba wax. When layered, it produces a depth and warmth to the paintwork which many find more pleasing than the crisp, sterile reflectivity of a sealant alone.

Thanks for the reply, yes it is FK1000P I have used although on the tin it is marked as FK101 but it is the same product.

Seems no point using the Supagard really as I get a pretty good shine with the FK and AG products.

My car is Polar White which looks good in the Night Edition pack with contrasting black highlights.but most polishes dry with a white haze which means just as you think you have got it all off you see more residue from a different angle.
:doh:

I think that's a wise decision. Since Polar White is a solid colour and therefore you can't exploit any metalflake 'pop' you may want to consider holding back on the Autoglym HD wax as it actually has a muting effect on the overall reflectivity if you are chasing that 'dripping wet' paint finish. The FK1000P will be a lot glossier on its own, indeed the marketing blurb pitches it as an "extra clearcoat". You should also apply it to your wheels as its high temperature resistance makes it an excellent barrier for brake dust.

If you do fancy a change, have a look at what is fondly referred to as the Carlack Twins. This kit will produce an incredible level of gloss on white or any very light coloured car. Carlack Complete is the paint cleanser component which also conditions the paint surface to accept a basecoat of acrylic sealant. By itself it will last around 6 months but benefits immensely from a monthly top-up with its counterpart, Carlack Long Life. For weekly wipedowns a dedicated QD is also available. Have a look here:

Carlack Acrylic Kit

A dual density foam applicator sponge is an easy way to apply both coatings:

Auto Finesse Dual Applicator Pad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom