Supaguard option from Dealership

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rirhill

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Estate
Hi All
Looking to buy a car from a dealer and they are offering Supaguard inside and out for £349. Is it worth? Does it work? Or is it a way of the dealer to make some cash?

Appreciate any advice?

Thanks
Ian

In my opinion the answers to your questions are: No; For a while; Yes; in that order. Others may have a different view.

In my opinion the answers to your questions are: No; For a while; Yes; in that order. Others may have a different view.

Summed up nicely.

Russ

I considered this option too, but my research - which was extensive - told me it was a complete wate of money.
You are better considering a good quality car detainling scheme (to do yourself), such as Carlak followed by collinite wax, which should last a few months and would cost about £30 a year to protect your paint.
Interior wise , well I am not sure what the best course of action would be, but regular vacuuming and perhaps a steam clean once a year should more than suffice.

My opinion - for what it is worth

:) Mike

----------------------
Forum – LOADS of excellent advice, well worth a read/browse
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/

Web site for products:
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/

I bought
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/complete-detailing-kits/collinite-476s-carlack-kit/prod_408.html
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/ez-detail-brush/prod_480.html
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microfibre-cloths/sonus-der-wunder-drying-towel-pkg/2/prod_84.html
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/super-snow-foam-5-litre/prod_370.html

plus more 

Last edited:
Hi All
Looking to buy a car from a dealer and they are offering Supaguard inside and out for £349. Is it worth? Does it work? Or is it a way of the dealer to make some cash?

Appreciate any advice?

Thanks
Ian

You can buy the lot for £30 from here and do it yourself and save a fortune. If you want something better than Supagard then use this a tenner dearer but heaps better.

Dealers rip you off for this sort of thing they usually get the Saturday lad to do it and make a mint in the process don't make them rich :D

It's basically just a way for the dealer to up their margin.

Worse they usually bundle it all into the credit deal.

Were you offered GAP insurance as well?

Thanks to all of you for your comments.

mikebro thanks for your comments. Can anyone recommend a good place in the SE England for Car detailing? I would like to have it done properly then I can keep it up every 3 months or so?

flanaia1 Thanks for the advice.

Dryce Yes I was offered the gap too. I consider this to be waste of money too?

Thanks
Ian

Thanks to all of you for your comments.

mikebro thanks for your comments. Can anyone recommend a good place in the SE England for Car detailing? I would like to have it done properly then I can keep it up every 3 months or so?

flanaia1 Thanks for the advice.

Thanks
Ian

Hi Ian,
I would read through some of the posts in the car detailing forums, that will give you a *true* indication of real-world experiences as well as members comments here - which, are likely to be , I must say, high value.
Mike

Gap can be worthwhile, but don't buy it from the main dealer. A got it at 1/3rd the BMW dealer price when I bought my car.

Got the same stuff from Autoglym and he told me the dealers buy loads off him, cost about £25/30 iirc.

Lynall

Got the same stuff from Autoglym and he told me the dealers buy loads off him, cost about £25/30 iirc.

Lynall

I did the same with my new Audi A2 and do not regret it. I was told by the dealer that you should apply the kit on the day of delivery and then not wash the car for at least 6 weeks to allow for the paint to fully harden.

For GAP insurance I also remain to be convinced that it is worth the money. Others will disagree I'm sure.

Last edited:
try haggling and getting it free? i did and got the supaguard for nothing with a five year guarantee? give it a shot? dealers are desperate for sales so it's worth a try.

I got free Supaguard on my R129, seemed to last pretty well.

I turned down the gap insurance though :)

My view is that, in general, it's not worth it. It's another way of boosting margins on the sale.

As pointed out in another post if you actually want it you will probably get a better deal independently.

I am getting this thrown in with the car - dealer screwed up the finance quote - so will be costing us extra £564 over the 4 years because he was quoting for auto, when the car will be manual. Affects residual, balloon and hence payments, so they are giving 1st and 2nd services free, plus the Supaguard for a new SLK.
Not thrilled, but all in not too bad. Considered walking away, but we are already getting a good deal so we'll see.

Picking it up tomorrow - will post pics, but jut going to chiropractor now as I've done me back in. Friday the 13th and all that!!

When I worked in the valet bay at the dealership with the 4 rings (swear word...right), the Supagard used to retail at £299.95. The parts dept. used to buy it in for £83. A kit could quite easily be used for three cars if used springly, giving the valeters a spare kit for their friends/families cars. Trust me, it went on!
The polish used in the paint treatment would now be considered 'old fashioned', given the acrylic paint treatments available nowadays. I've seen valeters apply PDI polish in the application process, the customer would never know the difference after the car had left. When it is applied correctly, it still never worked. I saw cars return to the garage for servicing with scars fom bird shecht all over the bonnet/roof.(If you read the gaurantee, you will see it doesn't cover you for this. Only covers oxidisation which the manufacturers warranty covers anyway). The spray they use on the seats and carpets is Scotchguard....I'm sure of it. The sealant used on the plastics was never used because(a)it was messy (b) it left the plastics too shiny and (c) it was usually too much hard work for the guys to apply.

Save your money and buy some decent valeting products and do it yourself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom