Super Kart vs Superbike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
Going back to the theme of bike vs car, I was just reading about a number of ex World Champion motor cycle riders practising for a super kart event prior to the US Motor Bike Gp in July.

"People look at these Super Karts and think they are cute little toys, but they haul butt around here," according to Lawson, who set the Super Kart lap record at Laguna Seca in 2003 with an effort of 1’23.875, which represents an average speed of 100.864 mph and is quicker than Troy Bayliss’ World Superbike lap record."

I have never driven a super kart but go-karts are exciting enough.

Regards,
John

I've not driven a super kart but I've driven lots of times on 70mph pro Karts (some twin engine) and they are hugely fast and great fun, and very tiring to drive very fast for very long!

HERE is the website for the British Superkarts.
I have marshalled these at Brands Hatch and, to tell you the truth, I would rather take my chances with 100 superbikes than 20 of these buggers.
They are seriously quick and when they spin, they spin.

How I envy you guys and your experiences.

Wouldn't it be a tremendous gesture if the top champions of the various World Championships had a race in these super karts, with all the proceeds going to this latest terrible disaster.

John

This is me at Knockhill.
Edit: It doesnt look like it but I'm doing about 50mph into a "u" turn which feels much faster especially with the back out!

R2D2 said:
This is me at Knockhill.
Edit: It doesnt look like it but I'm doing about 50mph into a "u" turn which feels much faster especially with the back out!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm
Knockhill.
Had some good days there and some verrrrrrry cold ones.
Take a look at our Marshal's web site and you'll see some snowy pics of Knockhill last year.(Look under 'information' and then 'photo album').
Also, it's a good site if you are interested in doing any marshalling.

Last edited:
GRAV888 said:
Mmmmmmmmmmmm
Knockhill.
Had some good days there and some verrrrrrry cold ones.
Take a look at our Marshal's web site and you'll see some snowy pics of Knockhill last year.(Look under 'information' and then 'photo album').
Also, it's a good site if you are interested in doing any marshalling.

Hi Grav,
I enjoyed watching British Super bikes last year at the various circuits including Knockhill. Do you travel around the circuits doing your marshalling?

Regards,
John

glojo said:
Hi Grav,
I enjoyed watching British Super bikes last year at the various circuits including Knockhill. Do you travel around the circuits doing your marshalling?

Regards,
John

Sure do, but not as much as I used to.
This year, I'm doing:
BSB Brands Hatch x2
WSBK Brands Hatch and Silverstone.
Moto GP Donnington
3 or 4 club races at BH on my bike.

I also get a 'guest pass' to every meeting I do.
As you can imagine, I get asked for the SBK one a lot.
It is 'access all areas' and is for the full 3 days.
Will post any available tickets on this site when they become available.

GRAV888 said:
I also get a 'guest pass' to every meeting I do.
As you can imagine, I get asked for the SBK one a lot.
It is 'access all areas' and is for the full 3 days.
Will post any available tickets on this site when they become available.

:) :mad: You certainly know how to make someone envious. How I would love to see the Gp bikes.

I am not in a position to grovel, beg, hero worship or any other gesture :) :) but your offer will no doubt be 'grabbed at' by some lucky members.

Solely referring to Gp riders how do you rate Valentino Rossi?

Regards,
John

glojo said:
:) :mad: You certainly know how to make someone envious. How I would love to see the Gp bikes.

I am not in a position to grovel, beg, hero worship or any other gesture :) :) but your offer will no doubt be 'grabbed at' by some lucky members.

Solely referring to Gp riders how do you rate Valentino Rossi?

Regards,
John

When I post availability of any passes, it will simply be given to the first person who posts a reply. (Fairest way I think).

Valentino.......................
Very friendly yuong guy with an extreme amount of tallent.
Sometimes though, he gets a bit 'big headed' and rides across the finish line side saddle and falls off. (Oh how we laughed in the beer tent that night).
I reckon he will do something else in a couple of years time instead of bikes.
Not sure what though.

GRAV888 said:
When I post availability of any passes, it will simply be given to the first person who posts a reply. (Fairest way I think).

Valentino.......................
Very friendly yuong guy with an extreme amount of tallent.
Sometimes though, he gets a bit 'big headed' and rides across the finish line side saddle and falls off. (Oh how we laughed in the beer tent that night).
I reckon he will do something else in a couple of years time instead of bikes.
Not sure what though.

Hi Grav,
Solely on Gp's I think he is the most entertaining rider I have ever seen. I bow to your knowledge here but I also consider him to be the best Gp rider\500 rider I have seen.

I would love to see him match John Surtees acheivement and believe he is the type of ambassador that Formula One motor racing sadly lacks. Just imagine the Italian fans watching Rossi in a Ferrari. Even I would cheer!

Thanks for the update,
John

GRAV888 said:
Looks like we might have been right about him John;) ;) :D
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=35017

Thanks very much for the link. I watched a TV article on this test and it was comical looking at Rossi with his long hair.

Plain red helmet and overalls with no sponsership whatsoever. The first part of testing was damp and proved interesting, but then he showed his true ability.

My money is still on this going ahead in 2007 :)

Thanks again,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom