Super-rich Indians buy up £1BILLION worth of luxury property in London's Mayfair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some happy (and wealthy) estate agents...

It looks like neo-colonialism in reverse.
But
Let me think
The first colony of the British State was England

The post WW2 era is over Gents, best get used to it. :):)

Apparently the Chinese are interested in taking a share in the HS2 Railink and some of the new Nuclear Power generation facilities. China interested in investing in HS2 and nuclear power - Telegraph They invest in our infrastructure while we in turn buy the latest shiny " trinkets" such as colour TV's Xboxes and Smart phones they offer us in exchange. Seems an excellent arrangement- bit like our 19th century colonialism but in reverse with shinier trinkets.. :doh: Apparently as usual we are following the footsteps of the USA much whose fiscal debt is owed to the Chinese. :eek: Why has this happened- because China consistently refuses to revalue its currency against the currencies of the countries it deals with and we have let them get away with it.:fail

As in some other countries, to buy property in the UK should only be possible if the purchaser holds a British passport.

Why anyone would want to live in London baffles me. It's dirty, stinking, overcrowded and full of people that have no pride in the place. A lot of people have to work their nuts off to have just a decent standard if living there.
There are many far nicer places to live in the UK IMHO

A typical Mail headline, somewhat meaningless. In the big scheme of central London property, I say it's a drop in the ocean. Also, 450m spent on 221 homes equates to the lower end of the market, taking an average of 2m per home in that area. And another 309m spent by a company. Hardly a billion spent by Indian families in the last year.

Then again maybe I've misread the figures which is very possible as I don't buy that paper.

Why has this happened- because China consistently refuses to revalue its currency against the currencies of the countries it deals with and we have let them get away with it.:fail

That's as much an issue for Chinese workers.

The real problem AFAICS is that there is a discrepancy between the big numbers applied to the money that swills about the UK economy (and London in particular) and the actual amount of real money that gets invested in real things in the UK by the UK. Real money comes from outside the UK while the much of the UK's money seems to be balance sheet creations.

My part of London is lovely thanks.

Two royal parks on my doorstep , the river thames and excellent transport links to where ever I want to go.

That's as much an issue for Chinese workers.

Wouldn't disagree on the face of it. Its a capitalist paradise why not invest in production in a totalitarian state where there are low wages/minimal workers rights/ negligible health/environmental regulation/ millions of workers to chose from----all for the price of a few kickbacks to the party. Well until the factory down the road starts making cheap knockoffs of your product of course. :p

The real problem AFAICS is that there is a discrepancy between the big numbers applied to the money that swills about the UK economy (and London in particular) and the actual amount of real money that gets invested in real things in the UK by the UK. Real money comes from outside the UK while the much of the UK's money seems to be balance sheet creations.

Ah the much vaunted "invisible earnings" or "Comment vous le dites --Monopoly Money" as the Christine Lagarde of the IMF might have it. ;)

Why anyone would want to live in London baffles me. It's dirty, stinking, overcrowded and full of people that have no pride in the place. A lot of people have to work their nuts off to have just a decent standard if living there.
There are many far nicer places to live in the UK IMHO

not true of Prime Central London.

and of course over generalised.

if it's so terrible, why is London's population continuing to grow?

Good luck to them...they wanna work 7 days a week ...MOST english ppl dont wanna work 5 days a week .....

As in some other countries, to buy property in the UK should only be possible if the purchaser holds a British passport.

Do you feel the same about people from the UK buying property in France or Spain or USA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom