Supercharge or GTR?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StephenSJason

Car
C63 Supercharged
Weird one perhaps, but I’ve given myself a dilemma. Supercharge my 204 C63 or GTR and tune it.

Supercharging is going to run me at least £10k (if I go Weistec, although I’m considering ESS), and it’s going to cost me at least £10k over my 204 coupe to get a 2011+ GTR that hasn’t had 65 owners in the Midlands.

The GTR is obviously the most capable car in about 99% of situations aside from straight line, so the answer is obvious, right? Well, I’m not sure, I’ve never owned a car like the 204 before in sense that it has so much soul. Perfect it’s not, but with a couple of suspension mods (coil overs being probably the obvious), I think it could become something REALLY great, and supercharging is the greedy bit really. I mean, not a lot will touch it for years to come in the 700hp region I imagine.

What would you do?

I don’t really have any experiences with the GTR other than I felt like the interior wasn’t much over a 350Z. I could look passed that though.

I have also considered others like 997T’s, R8 V10’s and even turning a cheap NA MK4 Supra into a weapon but something about the 204 keeps me hanging on like it has for 5yrs already. I also feel a bit nervous about fiddling with a 997 due to Porches being a little highly strung anyway.

I know one member on here who used to have a Weistec C63 then went on to build a 800hp 997, but no idea how that went before it was written off (not sure what went on there).

205 C63 is nice, I enjoyed the test drive but it didn’t feel any better than the 204, it was almost like a difference car altogether so I wouldn’t choose it over a 204, more like something to enjoy along side. There’s also the fact that are still new, reliability is relatively untested in tuned form too.

I've been a fan of the GTR ever since I saw the R32 Skyline dominate Bathurst in the early '90s (setting track records that took another 12 years to beat in a V8), so I'm obviously going to say GTR.

I think it's a slippery slope either way. - If you buy the GTR, how long will it be before you're talking about upgrading the turbos or increasing the boost? If you launch it, how long before you need to replace the clutches etc?
Are you going to be happy with the modifications you plan for the C63? How long before you want something else?

The problem with the GTR is of course supercar performance with a fairly generic Nissan interior; I suppose it keeps the costs down.

I'd personally mod the 63, I've done the modded 911TT thing as Craig did and after writing off his Gen 1 997 he's in a Gen 2 997TT S now... My 997 TT tuned by ES Motors was brutally quick and after many more expensive cars in the past it gave those a real run for their money... That being said I've come back to AMG and will stay a while

I tried a MY17 GTR recently and I was sold almost immediately- it's a different kind of fast compared to a C63.
MY17 interior is leaps ahead of the older GTR models and whilst it's not as good as the C63, it's not bad either- i'd even go as far to say the door cards are better than in our cars but the switch gear is way behind.

If they had offered a better trade in value for my car, i'd be in the GTR now.

If you can try to get a weekend test drive in a 2011 gtr to see how you get on with it. In standard form i would think you'll be looking to start tweaking things such as exhausts and mapping so how long until you have not only got the 10k purchase price difference but plus tuning costs invested in the gtr. You'll be spending more than you think. A long test drive will be the best real way to see if you can live with it and idI suggest buying an already tuned gtr.

I agree with yiu over the c63, I had a brief spell in one summer of 2016 and since nothing has filled the void. Had a b7 rs4, 11 plate m3 comp pack, fiesta st and curcurr 65 late golf r and none of them come close.

There's always sell yours and buy a c63 that has already been fitted with a super charger. I believe this one used to be a member on here

2013 MERCEDES-BENZ C63 AMG PPP SUPERCHARGED | eBay

I do not know the seller, nor seen the car just came across the ad while i was looking for a ppp

Realistically, a C63 with 700hp and close to the same in torque is going to be a handful in anything other that perfect conditions. A stock 997 turbo with 600 hp will out perform a 700 hp C63, same could be deemed possible for a 600hp GTR.
As much as I love the C63 you not starting from a level playing field and will always be compromised, not being able to apply the same amount of power, traction becomes a problem. By all means, SC a C63 but accept it for what it is and be happy but don't compare to the other 2 marques.

Realistically, a C63 with 700hp and close to the same in torque is going to be a handful in anything other that perfect conditions.

I drove Acid's (I think) 800BHP and it was a bit of a handful in the pouring rain. Just wheel-span in almost every gear.

It was great though and I would have loved to have driven it in the dry.

As boring as 4WD is, at these levels you need it if you want to do anything other than "just enjoy the performance on your own when there are no other cars around".

I agree with Eddie01 and I would go with the GT-R. I am slightly biased because it is on my bucket list, although I will never allow myself to have one because I can't trust myself, you can't argue with the amount of capability and performance you can buy for relatively small cash.

OK so the interior is a bit cheapy, but I put up with the stuff I didn't like on my last car for the sound, performance and practicality.

I have very nearly bought a Gtr on quite a few occasions, about a year ago I tried one of the later 2013 Gtr's and really liked it and a much better car for the facelift, but I still don't like the overall look of it despite it's superb driving dynamics.
What I did try was a 2015 Audi S8 with all the toys, looks wise it's anonymous neither ugly or in your face but what a car, try one and see.

Great cars and I'm sure you'll be happy with either route.

I'd say have a look at E63/CLS63's first - Same great AMG noise, amazing interior and can be taken to 700hp without a sweat. In dry conditions, mine was quicker on the straights than my friends 670hp GTR and only slightly slower in the bends.

I was also having this same dilemma last year. I did put a post up on here about selling my pre facelift pp c63 to buy a gtr. Again had the same thoughts with a charger for the c63 10k or if I sell the c63 I’m going to have to put around 15k to get into a gtr.

I got a lot of good feedback on here and done a bit of homework myself on the gtr’s. I decided against the idea of getting a gtr due to the fact my budget would only get me a average to a slightly high mileage one. And from most of the info I found out about them was they are money pits. Not that I’m putting the gtr down but compared to servicing the c63 it’s going to be way more costly. And even though whatever I decided on would never be used daily the gtr would’ve been a lot more to spend out on.

I have since found out there is a cheaper route to supercharge the c63 so I am still thinking about going that route. With me it’s boredom after owning the c63 for over 4 years I do fancy a change and to not go backwards the only car within my reach would be a gtr but at this time it’s just not cost effective right now.

New GTR and get it out your system, Not that nice inside but mental fast, Everyone i know has had one and sold it!!

Keep thinking of trading mine in but having test driven plenty of other cars every time I jump back in the C63 it makes me smile.
Maybe it's my imagination but the mercedes just has a better presence on the road than it's completion and nothing much beats it for sound.
KW DDC made a huge difference in how mine handles but it the wet it's still useless lol.....which is why I only use it on dry days and enjoy it so much more because it's "special" taking it out.

I really would love to get a gtr. But like’s been said there’s nothing that can match the c63 unless your throwing at least 30/35k at it. I do look at the new gtr’s and think yeah it’s a beast but to warrant putting 10/15k on top of what I’d get for the c63 and it still being a reasonably high mileage gtr I just can’t bring myself to do it.

I think the fact that the 63s is such a huge difference in styling/shape makes it feel like the 204 is so much more dated now as well. That’s a big reason I’ve been toying with getting rid of mine. Whereas a gtr on say a 10 plate still looks up to date if you know what I mean.

If Acid can put a Stage 3 Weistec supercharger and map on a C63 and achieve over 800bhp and 200mph+ I'd take that over the GTR. The GTR is expected to be very quick out of the box,so doesn't really surprise anyone, costs a good deal more to service and maintain and still has those nasty plastic parts that wouldn't look out of place in a Micra.
If you want to take it to the track, then the GTR wins hands down.

On the subject or superchargers on the c63. When you look at a picture of the kit it pretty much looks like a bolt on job. Back in the day when we used to fit turbo’s to non turbo cars we used to have to drill and fit oil returns in the sumps and fabricate stuff to fit. But the wiestec kit looks pretty easy to fit ie just bolt off bolt on or is there some hidden stuff? I know the mapping side of it is a different matter.

^ That Weistec will need some cooling so an intercooler and approriate plumbing will be needed as well.

I would just get an F10 M5. They are getting really cheap now and have a real 600bhp stock. Very easily tuned and built for that power level. Traction is already a problem though.

I love the M156 motor in all it's NA 6.2 glory. It's all about the sound for me and sufficient performance to enjoy.

You quickly get used to the acceleration, whatever it is, even bikes north of 1000bhp/ton. However something like an IS200 with a 700bhp 2JZ would have some appeal as a sleeper. Direct bolt in too and less obvious than another 335i single turbo.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

'Problem' with the GTR is the early ones are no longer a bargain...

The ever increasing price of each model year has dragged up the originals... 9 years old....60,000 miles and still over 50% of their original price at
low £30K's.

As I understand it you'll need £5K each year spend on consumables and servicing at that age...

I was blown away when it first came out...still love it now...

I'd go for the late 2012 onwards with 542BHp

0-62 mph in 2.7secs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom