Supercharged r129 500 sl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Upgrades:
• First gear module. (This cars were designed to start off from the lights in 2nd.)

Huh? Only with the gearbox in 'W'.

Huh? Only with the gearbox in 'W'.

I'm guessing it's a 4-speed auto though Bill, don't they start in 2nd :)

Will

Was that the example which previously had 17" AMG split rims?

I bet that engine must give a 600 a run for it's money! I like it! :devil:

Darren

I like it.

Very 'q' be interesting to have some figures for the performance?

Is it worth it?..........If someone pays it then yes. Hard to price, as some people maybe put off and not want to pay any extra over a normal car.

put a 300SL badge on the back and have some fun :) :)

The 4-speed autos normally have 'S' and 'E' programs, both of which will pull away in 2nd gear.

As you say, kickdown operation will induce 1st gear or you can put the car into 'S', then move the selector down through D-3-2 and it will pull away in 1st that way.

I presume that the 'First Gear Module' that this car has been fitted with would simulate that scenario to induce a 1st gear start automatically.

Boring fact: I believe the 722.6 (5-speed auto) has two reverse gears, one ratio used in 'S' and one in 'W'.

Will

Is it worth it?..........If someone pays it then yes. Hard to price, as some people maybe put off and not want to pay any extra over a normal car.

It's high mileage for an SL, which would put many people off even if unmodified. As mentioned, the owner posted here for a while:

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=462291

He paid £8k for the car originally, had problems with the ADS:

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=44870

I would definitely want to know that had been completely sorted.

Cosmetically the car does look good though.

I agree re price,

Like most Merc they can be bought cheaply or not

There is one near us for £5999 and driving past it does look great for the money. I've not stopped to look... it might work out expensive.

Pleanty of choice and good prices so it could be for sale a while again

Yep the car looks okay.

Is this the one that was for sale sometime last year at a dealers in Maidenhead/Berks way - if not there's another supercharged SL500 out there :)

Will

The fact that it has ADS,

and this:

"I believe that we might want to look a bit closer at the cited power numbers. They appear to be for the "gold" engine which was, I believe, a standard M119 that had been ported, polished and provided increased dome height on the head. The lower compression allows greater air flow without pre-ignition. The assumed power for that engine was, I believe, around 376 ps. The supercharger was able to raise the output of it up to around 400 - 410 ps (400 HP). With our standard M119, the output starting at 326 or there abouts would not increase more than 35 horses and probably not even that. The roots type supercharger creates an awful lot of heat and the supercharger really requires a lot of outlet cooling just to prevent any preignition. The supercharger that Mercedes now uses and even the one that Tech Tune has doesn't make nearly as much heat so the intercooler actually drops the charge temperatire down to the point where his entire setup is much more efficient.
Still, an extra 35 horses sounds exciting to me. But 11 thousand euros is about 15000 dollars, about $400 per hp. If I had that type of money to play with I would buy the engine from a junked SL55." (from Benzworld)

Takes the shine off it for me.

I am pretty sure he got the ADS sorted, I followed what he did on some of the US forums.

It's high mileage for an SL, which would put many people off even if unmodified. As mentioned, the owner posted here for a while:

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=462291

He paid £8k for the car originally, had problems with the ADS:

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=44870

I would definitely want to know that had been completely sorted.

Cosmetically the car does look good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom