Supercharger belt length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamiet1986

Car
w211 E55 AMG,
my current supercharger belt is K080545HD I’m adding a 83mm pulley up top so would ideally like a smaller belt what number is the length?

Thanks

Jamie

98545082_1.jpg

8PK1345 /50 Just done mine alone with the pulley's

I think I ran an 8PK1275 on the 83mm pulley and 8PK1255 on the 77mm pulley.

Oh i have a BWk i forgot sorry,

I've got the 496HD on now with stock crank, and 84mm upper and no belt wrap kit. It's tight, but fits.

Sorry I should have said I have a belt wrap and 172mm crank pulley already fitted

Any reason you guys are running a BWK?
There doesn't seem to be much love for them over the pond.

Yes standard crank pulley bud, my BWK was on there wen I bought it, Brutus is far from std. it’s meant stop belt slip which tbf I think it does as there is no screech from the car wen you hit boost.

Any reason you guys are running a BWK?
There doesn't seem to be much love for them over the pond.

I love my belt wrap it has dramatically decreased belt slip. Also if you change supercharger pulley you are decreasing the surface area in which the belt is in contact with so slip gets worse. Had my belt wrap 4 years and it does exactly what its meant to.

I ran a 77mm pulley and never had any issues with belt slip. It is important though that the correct size belt is fitted.

I have read of a few instances of pulley bearings being destroyed using a BWK, but if it works for you, why not.

IIRC Ricky had a lot of problems on his modified E55 using a BWK.

I have read of a few instances of pulley bearings being destroyed using a BWK, but if it works for you, why not.

I can see how this could happen if the belt is to tight. It's the same as most mods it'll put more strain on something but you get a good result.

Just on this belt / pulley conversation... my eurocharged 83mm pulley is knackered after 6 months / 4K miles. It has been running a standard belt (as advised by MSL). I’m just waiting on my pulley getting back to eurocharged for their evaluation to confirm a replacement based on premature failure. However, my belt is looking a bit tired and while the pulley work is ongoing I’m looking in to new belts. I’ve been on to a dealership to source a new belt but they are telling me there are two belts listed for the SC for my car

Sizes: 28.45 x 1289 and 21.36 x 2449

Anyone know which one is correct?

Or is there are any better options for an 83mm set up than standard?

I tend to trust MSL when it comes to things like this, but I know there are other options and would like to hear others experience.

Cheers
Neil

1289 std belt but would honestly fit a 1275.

Doubt your Pulley failure will be linked to your belt as your fitted belt was standard size. In what way is the pulley knackered? Noisy bearing, broken plate etc etc?

1289 std belt but would honestly fit a 1275.

Doubt your Pulley failure will be linked to your belt as your fitted belt was standard size. In what way is the pulley knackered? Noisy bearing, broken plate etc etc?

Thanks mate.
Noisy bearing and plate done too.
Is there a particular brand of belt you’d recommend for the 1275 version?

My own very early undersized SC pulley, was replaced initially for rivet failure, several years back, (lots of early models of this pulley suffered this), my current one is also showing signs of the rivets distorting against the plate, but monitoring this as it's not broken...yet. However, I am on my 4th bearing to this SC pulley, in approx under 20K miles. I also have the BWK, (numerous people here have bemoaned the use of this kit previously), whilst my car is modified to a level not far from your own, my car /has/is relatively trouble free, but this kit has been a PITA from nearly day one, and has been previously recorded here on a couple of occasions by myself, one of the tensioner pulleys broke its back coming home with a group here from Spa last year, destroyed the wheel, bearing and shreaded the belt..Ugh! manage to crawl home from Folkstone safely. I have also repeatedly replaced the bearings to these tensioner pulleys as well, now run a different bearing to the tensioner wheels that originally supplied with this kit.
Why this should be I do not fully know, half of me thinks it may well be an under sized belt creating to much tension to the bearings, possibly..! but I also have half a mind that every thing may be working beyond their parameters, I also have the Kleemann crank pully, my SC pully is 84 or 83mm, cannot recall exactly, my belt I am running is the gates KO80537, this is the belt Shardul in the US supplied with the original BWK, to weather its a correct size, uhm..be good to have others input here to this. I would add, once this kit fails again, and I then have no replacement parts, I will remove the BWK, and run without it, it looks sexy on the car, but not worth the hassle it has brought me. Will be good to hear what belt you decide to run with.

R.

I used a Contitech Belt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom