Supercharger Playing Up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the-benz-guy

Car
Mercedes CLK 230 Kompressor Auto 2002
Hi guys hope you can enlighten me on this.

When car first started you drive it and supercharger works until you de-accelerate then it will not work again until you stop and restart the car then again only works once :(

The fault stored is camshaft hall sensor but ....... i have a plug on rocker cover which i think is the rpm sensor / camshaft sensor which is unused with no wiring ???? and a camshaft sensor on the side on engine near the front which is used so should i just have one or both sensors or has someone swapped bits ?????

Also when plugged in the side sensor the supercharger works the once as above but when i unplug it and plug into the top sensor supercharger doesnt work at all so i have no idea which sensor i should be using and which needs changing ??? any ideas :doh:

Without looking at one of those engines, this is from memory... Your cars cam sensors are two small cylindrical looking things on the front of the engine. They should both be plugged in..
If they have been unplugged its probably because they got oil in them so kept causing issues... there is a modified extension loom to fix this.

Library pic of same engine.

Attachments

• forum pic of sensors.jpg
    forum pic of sensors.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 48
where about you are?i would try stardiag first

This is exactly the same problem on the same engine as mine. Star reported the fault incorrectly as the air bypass valve MB technician diagnosed it as bypass valve. Thanks to this forum someone sold me a cheap working bypass valve and I swapped it out it made no difference star still reported it faulty. Got some live dynamic diagnostics took it for a run and guess what, cam sensor fault, changed cam sensor and modified loom and car has never driven as good.

Moral of story dont trust star in a static test.

I think the cam sensor too could be the cause of your problems and as Jay says is right on the front of the engine just behind a pop off plastic cover

Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies. On further investigation it looks like someone has fitted an earlier head with camshaft sensor on side and the later correct rocker cover with camshaft sensor in also. I have bought both new sensors and plugged them in one by one and neither make a difference although starts better on the front side earlier sensor. :(

I will look into the front sensor behind the cover now if you had same problem as only fault showing up is "camshaft posotion sensor 'A' circuit (bank 1 or single sensor) ?

Mine never showed a camshaft position fault code, it showed as an air bypass valve fault, it wasnt until we got it on a dynamic test the cam sensor fault appeared cant remember the exact fault code

I think that is csmshaft position sensor circuit malfunction. I think if you have the wrong head on the car you may be chasing this a while.

Only guessing wrong head as has the cam sensor fitted on it which i believe was earlier cars. Maybe be selling this car earlier than i thought lol

i think i give up as still not cutting in all the time. well there is now another 2002 CLK on the market for £1200 for a quick sale, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom