Supercharger whine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edgun

Car
vxr 8 sl55amg
I don't have any at all?have mb engineered it out?

He has an SL55. But obviously too shy to fill in the details (and be courteous to other members).

Mr Weistec can sort that issue out :)

The only whine I get is from my wife when I put my foot down!!

Stuff the whine - I like to hear them HOWL!!

(ermm not your wife Mr JRH30)

I don't have any at all?have mb engineered it out?

I Noticed on mine, when I changed the oil to the Mobile Jet oil 254, the noise dropped considerably, perhaps yours has been done?

Where exactly do you spray?

This is to cure the 'chirp', it is sprayed in the small gap between the supercharger pulley plate and the main supercharger clutch pate.

I can hear it inside on mine when I'm driving enthusiastically. It's pretty loud outside the car though.

-t

This is to cure the 'chirp', it is sprayed in the small gap between the supercharger pulley plate and the main supercharger clutch pate.

Not sure if this is right Simon, you don't want to be lubricating mating clutch surfaces, otherwise it will slip, but I could be wrong:dk:

I think any chirp is when the magnet is energised, and the time it takes to fully engage... ie initial contact, worn pulley plates possibly or weak or worn pulley springs

Applying lubricant anything in this area, is like applying a lubricant on your brake disks. Its not a great design this clutch / pulley mechanism , and unfortunately noise comes with the operation.

Last edited:
Going to put my head above the parapet here, so please dont shoot..

1) I like the chirp. A lovely little noise, as out of place as a sweet hiccup from a charging rhino.
2) A question from a non-engineer (and sorry to butt into the thread); I thought one of the advantages of a s/c over a turbo was the fact the s/c was always engaged, hence no lag. I'm not conscious of any lag in my 55k, but if it only engages at, say 2000rpm or under certain loads (when i hear the chirp) then why doesn't it give the same lag effect as a turbo?
I'm genuinely curious, and wouldn't ask if I thought I'd get laughed off the forum:eek:

Going to put my head above the parapet here, so please dont shoot..

1) I like the chirp. A lovely little noise, as out of place as a sweet hiccup from a charging rhino.
2) A question from a non-engineer (and sorry to butt into the thread); I thought one of the advantages of a s/c over a turbo was the fact the s/c was always engaged, hence no lag. I'm not conscious of any lag in my 55k, but if it only engages at, say 2000rpm or under certain loads (when i hear the chirp) then why doesn't it give the same lag effect as a turbo?
I'm genuinely curious, and wouldn't ask if I thought I'd get laughed off the forum:eek:

http://www.mechanicalengineeringblog.com/tag/working-operation-of-supercharger/ and http://www.modified.com/tech/0107scc_supercharger_overview/ Enjoy

Last edited:
Not sure if this is right Simon, you don't want to be lubricating mating clutch surfaces, otherwise it will slip, but I could be wrong:dk:

I think any chirp is when the magnet is energised, and the time it takes to fully engage... ie initial contact, worn pulley plates possibly or weak or worn pulley springs

Applying lubricant anything in this area, is like applying a lubricant on your brake disks. Its not a great design this clutch / pulley mechanism , and unfortunately noise comes with the operation.

I hear what you are saying Billy and lubricating between the surfaces seems a little odd, but this seems to be the known common fix for the 'chirp'. When I say fix I'm sure it wouldn't be permanent but.......

There are quite a few threads on the other forums on this which I searched when mine started doing it. As usual with me I was thinking there was something drastically wrong, but it turns out most of the 55K's do it and it didn't bother me so I never attempted this. The chirp disappeared when I had the Eurocharged smaller s/c pulley fitted.

Last edited:
Cheers, BillyCR, appreciated. I have seen that before when searching. It says "Superchargers have no lag time because they are driven directly by the crankshaft." That is where my curiosity lies - the use of a clutch as previously mentioned in the thread. Is the s/c not compressing air until the clutch is engaged ? If so, why no lag? Bear with me here, I'm not being deliberately antagonistic! :thumb:

I hear what you are saying Billy and lubricating between the surfaces seems a little odd, but this seems to be the known common fix for the 'chirp'. When I say fix I'm sure it wouldn't be permanent but.......

There are quite a few threads on the other forums on this which I searched when mine started doing it. As usual with me I was thinking there was something drastically wrong, but it turns out most of the 55K's do it and it didn't bother me so I never attempted this. The chirp disappeared when I had the Eurocharged smaller s/c pulley fitted.

The spray is to help the drive belt get better traction. Common practise on anything with a poly v rubber belt, not just automotive applications.
We used to go through cases of the stuff when we were maintaining exercise bikes and treadmills.

Due to the location of the supercharger belt it is more prone to heat fluctuations than most other belts, not good for rubber.

Spraying is usually to prolong the life. If you are having to spray every couple of thousand miles you should probably look at replacing the belt I'd have thought.

Cheers, BillyCR, appreciated. I have seen that before when searching. It says "Superchargers have no lag time because they are driven directly by the crankshaft." That is where my curiosity lies - the use of a clutch as previously mentioned in the thread. Is the s/c not compressing air until the clutch is engaged ? If so, why no lag? Bear with me here, I'm not being deliberately antagonistic! :thumb:

As far as I am aware when the boost limits are reached the clutch disengages, its the speed the boost is reached is achieved pretty instant, as the pulley is already spinning but drive to the charger disengaged so yes possible lag but not that you would notice, unless your pulley is slipping off course or you have boost leaks, or your cooling pump is on its way out:eek:
From slow speeds you will notice the charger cutting in as said around 2k, but if you boot it, let the revs drop to 2k and instantly do the same, I doubt you would notice any engagement as I am pretty sure its still engaged and engine using all the boost it can get.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% on this but the chirp seems to stem from the SC bearing. My chirp went when I changed pulley, I also refitted my original OEM bearing last year (that chirped like crazy) for a short period but with a new bearing and the chip did not return.
It could however just be that the surfaces between the shaft and the bearing get cleaned of any surface rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom