Superchargers..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanA2

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
I think superchargers are wonderful. Never had them in a car before. They are wonderful.

That's it, that's all, superchargers are wonderful:bannana: :bannana:

I think superchargers are wonderful. Never had them in a car before. They are wonderful.

That's it, that's all, superchargers are wonderful:bannana: :bannana:

Better than than a turbo = no lag.......

I dont know if you knew this but the only difference between the C180K, the C200K and the C230K is the size of the supercharger (Kompressor).

Sort of Dave, but I thought there was a bit more to it than that (compression?) - they are all 1.8L engines though IIRC.

W202s and some of the CLKs used 2.0 and 2.3L Kompressor engines. Eg C200K estates etc.

Will

I dont know if you knew this but the only difference between the C180K, the C200K and the C230K is the size of the supercharger (Kompressor).

kind of......my supercharger's bigger than your supercharger syndrome....:D

Surely the 180/200/230 refers to the engine size, or is this just for the W203?

yes just for the more recent cars, they kept them all at 1.8 with just different ECU's and supercharger setups...

Aparently not.

ECU, pistons and the Kompressor.

I'll have a look for the link later if I get chance.

Jay.

And Yes, I love Superchargers too!!:bannana:

Didn't the Lancia Integrali have a turbocharger ('free'energy, but lag, and a supercharger - no lag but consumed 25%of the energy it produced to drive it? Or was it something else.

Didn't the Lancia Integrali have a turbocharger ('free'energy, but lag, and a supercharger - no lag but consumed 25%of the energy it produced to drive it? Or was it something else.

It was the wonderful and beautiful Delta S4 of the good old Broup B era that had a supercharger for low to medium rpm and a big turbocharger for the rest. It would benefit from the best of both worlds: no lag at low rpm and a lovely punch at high speed:bannana: .

Rumour has it that this car had a pressurized roll cage to hold nitrous oxide:eek:!!!

I'm not sure I got the meaning of this reference. MB has now changed from compressors to turbo chargers also on gas engines. Turbos have been used on so many different cars, Saab was one of the first, Volvo, MB and many many more.

Edited: I missed the point, the car having both. The same as on some Volvo marine diesels.

Last edited:
If memory serves, I once heard that it takes 100bhp to drive just the supercharger on a 55 AMG. :eek:

Good job there's plenty left over for the wheels!! :D

VW recently introduced a twin-charged 1.4 - both supercharged and turbocharged - and as powerful as the old 2.3 (?).

If memory serves, I once heard that it takes 100bhp to drive just the supercharger on a 55 AMG :eek:......

....... :D

Thanks for the info. I've just been outside with a crowbar and taken mine off! - So am gonna have 263bhp in the morning from my C200K???!!:bannana:

But seriously, yeah, I heard that too - I think it was JC from Top Gear.

Turbocompounding has been used for ages to generate a bit more umph from waste gasses - the Caterpillar unit was all in one.
http://www.scania.com/products/newtruckrange/technology/turbocompound/

This was not a combination of a super charger (kompressor) and a turbo, but very interesting in any case. I was not aware of Scania having this, I understood this was not only research but existing on trucks on the road today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom