Supercharging my SLK55..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Greetings, citizens.

As per title, what are my options? I'm toying with the idea of changing the car, but I could spend a bunch of money in the process and end up with an unknown quantity.

On the other hand, I could chuck the same amount on a blower for the SLK, wind up with 500+ BHP, and still have a low mileage motor with no known issues. I've had it for coming up on 5 years, so I'm suffering from itchy feet to some extent, but I have to say it's been a great car. It still puts a massive smile on my face when I plant the loud pedal, but even the basic Kleeman kit promises 550 BHP, and 0-60 in under 4. That's what I'm talking about :D

Advice welcome..

Cheers,

Gaz

I am loving the idea and am hesitant to ask this; is there space for a s'charger and the plumbing?

And it will still look like a hairdressers town car..................

zoros said:
And it will still look like a hairdressers town car..................

Not really.... The slk55 is a mean looking machine with that slr front end and quad pipes out the back.

Back to the subject, do it, it will be a weapon! Costly but if you like the car get it done!

What would you change it to instead?

Go for it!

you wouldn't regret it I was always changing my car until I bought a carlsson supercharged slk 55 ive now had it 3 and half years and love it

Or, get the 172-55 :) A completely different animal - much more refined, better planted, quicker (or feels it), and you don't see many hairdressers in them - photographers, well that's a different matter :)

You know you want to .........

All sorts of issues in the US with Kleeman superchargers so do your homework. Might be cheaper and easier to put the supercharged M119 unit in from a bigger car?

I'd buy something else to be honest if it were my money.

are you finding that the car lacks power?

are you finding that the car lacks power?

Not lacks, exactly - it's still got 360BHP in a 1600Kg car, which really should be enough - but I guess I've just got used to it. A couple of times recently I've got into overtaking situations and just thought "another few horsepower wouldn't hurt". As you do.

I've never really been into modifying (I'll gloss over the dixie horns I fitted to my Hillman Avenger back in the 80s :eek:), but TBH although there's a good few cars I'd still like to try - I really do need to get a 911 at some point - there's not much out there that gives the bang per buck of the SLK. So, knowing that I've got a sorted, well cared for example perhaps modding is the way to go. Certainly, for what it's worth I'll never find another car with this much oomph, 2 owners and 30K miles.

So, mod/sell/leave as it is?

Option 1 - almost certainly expensive, but a good base to start with, and the M113 is pretty bombproof. Not sure how the 7G would cope with the extra power/torque, didn't the SL55 have the old 5 speed?

Option 2 - I could sell and get something else, lots of nice cars out there, but whatever I buy would almost certainly have more miles and perhaps who knows what hidden problems. More risk than option 1 maybe, but you only live once.

Option 3 - most boring, but TBH the car's lovely as it is, why am I moaning? Lots of people would love to have a car like this.

I dunno..:dk:

Cheers,

Gaz

My 2p's worth.

Option 3. Can't beat a low miles/owners, standard car when it's time to sell. Put the money for the proposed transplant towards another car.

My 2p's worth.

Option 3. Can't beat a low miles/owners, standard car when it's time to sell. Put the money for the proposed transplant towards another car.

+1

Rare to find a nice tidy well kept example of AMG that owners actually looked after

Option 3 - most boring, but TBH the car's lovely as it is, why am I moaning? Lots of people would love to have a car like this.

this.

you won't get the money you put into modding your car back

best save and by what you really want next.

buy compromise, buy at least twice

Who cares about retaining the money... If you are going to enjoy it then go for it :D

Does the mod need to be S/C is there no power gains with exhaust and map up grades?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom