Superchip on E280

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pietre

Car
Volkswagon Phaeton V10 5.0L
What can I expect if I fit a superchip to my E280 (apart from a hole in my wallet). I am told from my local superchip franchise that i will see loads more power and better economy, but i have never found the two to go together. Can someone give me an unbiased opinion. I drive 60 miles a day on mway and 20 - 30 a day on country/town roads. Have a 438 mile trip to Scotland next month for hols. At present i get 420 - 430 miles to a tank and stick to 85 - 90 on mway, speed limits elsewhere (mostly anyway). :cool:

Pietre said:
At present i get 420 - 430 miles to a tank and stick to 85 - 90 on mway, speed limits elsewhere (mostly anyway). :cool:

My warning light comes on after about 340 miles.
What size fuel tank have you got ?

Tank takes approx 70 litres to fill when really low. today it has 337 miles and is about to enter the last segment where the warning lamp is. Mine is a 99 facelift model if that makes a difference.

Forgot to mention, she has done 101000 miles, with full MBSH. Last service nearly gave me a coronary.

PJH said:
What size fuel tank have you got ?

The E class facelift model have 80 litre tanks. ;)

Pietre said:
What can I expect if I fit a superchip to my E280 (apart from a hole in my wallet). I am told from my local superchip franchise that i will see loads more power and better economy, but i have never found the two to go together. Can someone give me an unbiased opinion. I drive 60 miles a day on mway and 20 - 30 a day on country/town roads. Have a 438 mile trip to Scotland next month for hols. At present i get 420 - 430 miles to a tank and stick to 85 - 90 on mway, speed limits elsewhere (mostly anyway). :cool:

You will get more Power, and more economy (if you don't use the power) :D :D

My E280 did 25mpg overall and 30/32 on a long run, unchipped of course.

Last edited:
W124 tank is 70 litre.
I don't think you will get much more power and your fuel consumption will probably go down the pan. Still, if you decide to do it let us know how you get on.
Can superchips give you a dyno chart readout or put you in touch with someone who's had it done?

After my car was superchipped fuel consumption went from 31 to 34 mpg on a run but round town or thrashing it it went down from 27 to 25mpg on average!

After my car was superchipped...
What car do you have?
I'm very sceptical of using chips on the M104 engine.
I'd love to hear from someone who's done it on this engine.

My car is a W210 E280 1999 vintage with now 102000 miles. She is going like a rocket at present, or thats how it sems to me and that more important. I think I may shelve the superchip idea as there appears to be no real gain in fitting, and put the pennies towards another toy, like radar detector or sat nav. Thanks for all of your help.

janner said:
What car do you have?
I'm very sceptical of using chips on the M104 engine.
I'd love to hear from someone who's done it on this engine.

--

I too have an E320 Coupe (W124) and would like to know if anyone has any experience of "chipping" these engines.

I wonder if 12 bhp is really noticeable when you have 200+ on tap? Perhaps an increase in torque would register when overtaking...but 12bhp???

I have a superchipped C270Cdi I found that the fuel consumption decreased by around 10% giving me around 38-40 per gallon on average. Considering I drive my car VERY hard I am quite pleased with it. Acceleration is awesome these days. The down sides are tyre wear (it is very easy to spin the wheels even with traction control on) I am on my fourth set of tyres at 50,000 miles but as I dont pay for the tyres who cares! Also when accelerating the car smokes since being chipped, but again smoke doesn't affect me - only those following and normally they are quite a way behind!! My new E320 arrives next week, superchipping wont be long after.....

I wouldn't bother to be honest. Really not going to be worth it.

The tank on the X5 is so big you almost cry when you need to fill it :(

Does it beat the 100 litre tank of the S600 though..... Had to fill up at the services once when the petrol prices were through the roof, £97.82 the damage :eek:

Anyway back to the topic, on a petrol engine your economy will suffer. If you look at their website they don't mention increased MPG for petrol cars. Basically the more power = worst petrol consumption.

I wanted it done on my V8 SL but they point blank told me that my MPG will suffer.

The E class facelift model have 80 litre tanks. ;)

So do pre faclift cars other than E200 and the diesels, which get 65 litres. It's to keep the range similar between engines.

Seems a daft idea to me, especially as there was a cost option to have the 80 litre tank.

I can't see a chip making any difference on a n/a petrol engine as the fuelling is unlikely to be adjusted and the timing should be agressively advanced by the ECU anyway.

Last edited:
If you had a 280CDI then the gain from Superchips is extremely good value and well worthwhile. The diesel went up 50bhp and I did gain 3mpg. I would question the value on an atmo petrol engine.:(

So do pre faclift cars other than E200 and the diesels, which get 65 litres. It's to keep the range similar between engines.

Seems a daft idea to me, especially as there was a cost option to have the 80 litre tank.

I can't see a chip making any difference on a n/a petrol engine as the fuelling is unlikely to be adjusted and the timing should be agressively advanced by the ECU anyway.
I'm sure my W210 Estate [facelift] only has 65 litre tank...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom