Supermarket Fuel Article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Various magazine tests have proved otherwise, plus there's more to fuel than just RON, there's also the additives in posh fuel that aren't there in supermarket ones.

Shell Optimax, now called Nitro Viper or something equally as silly, BP Ultimate are my favourites.

Shell V-Power Nitro+ does have extra bells and whistles, but that's not to say 'ordinary' fuels don't. Most of the petrol and diesel fuels sold in the UK are formulated to clean and protect your engine – even the stuff sold at supermarkets, although it's hard to imagine supermarket fuel being given as much love by as many scientists as V-Power Nitro+. Ultimately, if you value performance and economy, and you can afford the extra outlay, there's no harm in investing in Nitro+. As fuels go, it's excellent but hard to find.
Tesco Momentum 99ron has done itself proud for me as it provides really good mid range torque right up to max but not as good low down as BP Ultimate.

Each to their own and the only way to know is to test your car and see for yourself

As someone who's career has been forged making petrochemical substances for use in cars I shall remain silent but for one word. "Marketing"

Doesn't seem right so many people bang on about using Genuine Mercedes parts only, then skimp on fuel?

Not this subject again!

I will continue to avoid supermarket fuel at all costs.

There have been more issues with their fuel than premium brands, such as tanker drivers siphoning the fuel and topping up the tanker with water.

Not this subject again!

I will continue to avoid supermarket fuel at all costs.

There have been more issues with their fuel than premium brands, such as tanker drivers siphoning the fuel and topping up the tanker with water.

Go on then, show us the evidence to support your claim.

I personally refuse to use any fuel, on the basis that it may contain stuff that may possibly harm something that I know something about. Also a friend of my Aunt's cousins brother told their dad down the pub that his mate knew somebody who bought some fuel from a Supermarket. The tanker driver, who drives tankers and is related to Richard Branson through marriage and knows my Aunt. He was spotted by a dog walker peeing into the tank. This was all reported in the News of the World and the Sun so it's true.

Leave you cars at home folks. Fuel is dangerous stuff it can lead to big scary runours and guess work.

I filled my bmw up on supermarket fuels once, it ran poorly and eventually went into limp mode. I crawled to my local Shell garage and after filling up I never had a problem again.

Of course it could be a coincidence or a particularly bad petrol station but nevertheless I only use shell now. I even get a logo toy now and again lol :D.

I filled my bmw up on supermarket fuels once, it ran poorly and eventually went into limp mode. I crawled to my local Shell garage and after filling up I never had a problem again.

Of course it could be a coincidence or a particularly bad petrol station but nevertheless I only use shell now. I even get a logo toy now and again lol :D.

BMW are a special case, mine wouldn't even run right on BP premium petrol yet was fine in Tesco Momentum, Esso and Shell. Direct injection, iffy injectors and coil packs to blame apparently.

Every other car has run fine on all makes of fuel.

Standerd :D

Incidentally, whatever happened to Flango? Not seen him post for ages.

Merely a faithful reproduction of the original. ;)
Flango- last I heard he was in OZ maybe t'internets upside down there. :dk:

Tend to always use Vpower on all my cars, however on the odd occasion I do put in £20 of BP ultimate or Esso supreme and to be honest I don't feel any difference but I'll keep using shell Vpower for the points and free fuel vouchers! ;)

I think most people look at this the wrong way round.

In my experience it depends on the actual car you're filling up; I find that the four pot diesels will run on pretty much anything but the further up the food chain you go the tolerances are finer and as an example, my TDV8 RR Sport ran terrible on supermarket fuel and was around 15% worse on mpg compared to running it on Shell VPower it really was night and day the difference. On the other hand I run my mile-munchers on anything and they never complain.

I would say that 6cyl engines are the cut-off point in my experience, and that is my own personal experience that the bigger engines run better on 'premium' fuel.

I would say that 6cyl engines are the cut-off point in my experience, and that is my own personal experience that the bigger engines run better on 'premium' fuel.

Number of cylinders is really irrelevant.

The issue is the engine setup and mapping as to whether it either needs or will make use of a premium fuel.

Various magazine tests have proved otherwise, plus there's more to fuel than just RON, there's also the additives in posh fuel that aren't there in supermarket ones.

Shell Optimax, now called Nitro Viper or something equally as silly, BP Ultimate are my favourites.

It's basically marketing BS and not a lot else. The language used in the marketing blurb is non-specific - just like the cosmetics industry.

The only thing that counts really is the RON - and even that may have no beneficial effect if your engine management system doesn't want to play along with it.

The 'posh fuel' is a marketing invention because a few pence more per litre actually represents a very big margin hike before the tax and VAT are added and if they can can get enough people to believe the BS (and they do) over and above the extra marketing costs then it's good money.

I'm not a believer - and I find the marketing and mythology somewhat offensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom