Supersized from Just MB to MGB Midget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike ML

Car
A140 - getting lifts from her
Hey hey just been on the hooter with a chap up norf to buy his MGB Midget

Nice little black number from 1977 (I was 1) 37000 miles with alittle work needed, will agree on the deal once it has been for an MoT (happening as we speak) and he can tell me what exactly is need to get it back on the road.

Could be fun, spend the winter spitting and polishing (arrg and welding) her up for next spring - and get this my missus agreed to this!!!!!

Will be Mike MGB

This response is intended to be helpful only based on my very painful experience with my MGBGT :( .

Watch for rust that you can't see! My MGBGT turned out to be rotten at the core and not road safe, but it had a very valid MOT! Get the A frame checked by someone who knows what they're doing. Apol's if you've already thought of this :(

Thanks pammy - this is a big worry as the car is based in North Scotland and I am in Bucks so I cant really inspect it myself, but to be honest its not costing me loads, so all depends if Im happy with the MoT feedback..so a) Im not expecting a show car b) if I get two summers out of it Ill be happy!

I have been speakin the the chap allot and he seems a good fella, I know that is just at face value - but sometimes you can tell, its lived in a garage all its life and has only done 37k, Oh well lets see what he Mot throws back!!

The Carbs on my brothers MGBGT were always playing up always sounded rough to me, bit of a tank to drive aswell, if any one was going to bump into you they would have the most damage, solid chassis

Mike ML said:
Thanks pammy - this is a big worry as the car is based in North Scotland and I am in Bucks so I cant really inspect it myself, but to be honest its not costing me loads, so all depends if Im happy with the MoT feedback..so a) Im not expecting a show car b) if I get two summers out of it Ill be happy!

I have been speakin the the chap allot and he seems a good fella, I know that is just at face value - but sometimes you can tell, its lived in a garage all its life and has only done 37k, Oh well lets see what he Mot throws back!!

Finger's crossed it is OK for you. I've had Midget's in the past and they were great fun. If it's all as seems could be a nice litte car.

If you need any bit's I might have a few still lying around that you could have. I did have a Rostyle stencil fro example. Had loads of MG Club mag's and the such like. ;)

I only got three motnsh out of the MGBGT :(

pammy said:
Finger's crossed it is OK for you. I've had Midget's in the past and they were great fun. If it's all as seems could be a nice litte car.

If you need any bit's I might have a few still lying around that you could have. I did have a Rostyle stencil fro example. Had loads of MG Club mag's and the such like. ;):(
- Thanks Ill keep that in Mind

pammy said:
I only got three motnsh out of the MGBGT :(
- A R S E, Im phoning him now to see how the Mot went!!

Keep ya posted!!

Please remember thet the sills of an MGBGT are in actual fact the chassis. You get an inner, center and outer sill. Check them very carefully for signs of rust or welding. It has been common practice to just stick on an outer sill to sell a car. When the center sill is rotten. Hope you have good fortune though, I enjoyed driving one.

Ian B Walker said:
Please remember thet the sills of an MGBGT are in actual fact the chassis. You get an inner, center and outer sill. Check them very carefully for signs of rust or welding. It has been common practice to just stick on an outer sill to sell a car. When the center sill is rotten. Hope you have good fortune though, I enjoyed driving one.

Thanks Ian - Ill bear that in mind, MOT been delayed till this arvy...

By an MG join the club www.mgownersclub.co.uk I also owned and MGB Roadster 1966 vintage red with overdrive, nice car but cost a fortune to keep on the road. I am not so sure your Midget with be so expensive, hope not anyway :D . Good luck with your purchase and lets see some picies soon

Midgets did certainly used to rot badly and were weak enough to start with.

When driving check for body flex, not in the normal scuttle shake but actually sagging going over bumps and dips. This is pretty terminal.

You could buy complete bodies from err Heritage or someone. They were made from the original press tools so are exact.

Geoff2 said:
By an MG join the club www.mgownersclub.co.uk I also owned and MGB Roadster 1966 vintage red with overdrive, nice car but cost a fortune to keep on the road. I am not so sure your Midget with be so expensive, hope not anyway :D . Good luck with your purchase and lets see some picies soon

Member as of this morning - been on the midget forum and basicaly been told that for the money it will be a lemon, chaps on the recon you should spend 2500 at least......or it will fall apart in no time

So still undecided, any one on here live in Lybster - could go have a squiz for me (no chance) seen a few picies and it looks good on the pics, but you never send bad pics to buyers do you!

Mike ML said:
Member as of this morning - been on the midget forum and basicaly been told that for the money it will be a lemon, chaps on the recon you should spend 2500 at least......or it will fall apart in no time

So still undecided, any one on here live in Lybster - could go have a squiz for me (no chance) seen a few picies and it looks good on the pics, but you never send bad pics to buyers do you!

Pic's hide a multitude of sins, and don't even try to get to what you can't see anyway :(

Is it worth paying for an AA/RAC inspection?

It could be a lovely bargain - but might not. Being garaged isn't necessarily a good thing if it's not a good garage. Low miles mean it could have been stood for too long. :(

pammy said:
Pic's hide a multitude of sins, and don't even try to get to what you can't see anyway :(

Is it worth paying for an AA/RAC inspection?

It could be a lovely bargain - but might not. Being garaged isn't necessarily a good thing if it's not a good garage. Low miles mean it could have been stood for too long. :(

All taken on board -thanks!!! Im 50/50 at the moment, lets see if the seller can swing me this arvy!

But again its not as if its a 100k supercar!!! if you gonna get it wrong do it with a '77 midget (im sure thats a chinese proverb)

Mike ML said:
if you gonna get it wrong do it with a '77 midget

better not the wife would kill me, apart from which 77 is a little too old for me :D :devil:

Ian B Walker said:
better not the wife would kill me, apart from which 77 is a little too old for me :D :devil:

TUT TUT

Updates from the Mot Office.

I TOOK IT FOR A PRE MOT INSPECTION TODAY AND IT WILL NEED ...........

WELDING ON THE CHASSIS TO THE FRONT OF BOTH CHASSIS LEGS,(ABOUT 6" LONG BY 3" WIDE).

PATCHES TO BOTH FRONT FOOTWELLS (ABOUT 3" IN DIA LH AND 2" DIA RH SIDE).

WELDING OF THE SILL TO THE FLOOR RH SIDE (ALONG THE LENGTH OF THE SILL).

AND A 2" HOLE ON BOOT FLOOR IN THE REAR LH CORNER.

ALSO A BRAKE FLEXI-HOSE.... AND A JUBILEE CLIP FOR THE FUEL PIPE AT THE CARB.

..................................................................................................................

Me thinks it might be a lemon!!

Mike

if you are doing your own welding it's not that bad but if you are paying someone else "full rate" it will cost more than the car is ever going to be worth.

I'd say avoid that one

Andy

Well my thoughts are that you knew it needed some work, and that amount of rot is not too bad for a Midget.

However, there is very likely plenty more hidden away. As a resto (even a rolling resto), I think it could be a good project, but you'll never profit from it financially. As a car to smoke around in, it won't be long before the tinworm takes over again....

PJ

I have said no to this one - Its all the way in Antartica (North Scotland) so itll cost a coupld hundred to get it here as well,

THE SEARCH CONTINUES....................... O-O
V

Mike

I had a Midget once. No lining in soft top so on frozen winter mornings there would be ice on the inside of the hood.
Obviously turned heater on when in the car, and, miraculously, created rain INSIDE the car.
Got rid after 1 year: summer - overheated, winter - ice and rain!! Still, its one of those things that you've just gotta do to get out of your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom