Supply and demand on MB parts prices!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CCAALLVVIINN, Mar 29, 2011.

1. CCAALLVVIINN

CCAALLVVIINN MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GL 350cdi, W126 300SE, Land Rover 109 2.6
    About a month ago I enquired with MB Taunton as to the price of a bumper chrome for my W126 560. I was told it was about £60 plus VAT.

Rang today to order same part, was told UK out of stock, Germany out of stock and MB Heritage (whoever they are) also out of stock. In any event, the price was now £128!

Went away miffed, then the parts guy rang me back to tell me Gerrard Mann had one showing in stock (unusually helpful, but MB Taunton do seem to be very helpful).

Part now winging it's way to me at the higher price.

Wondering if the price goes up as soon as the stock dries up, or whether it was just a massive price increase. Can't imagine MB are stopping making or selling these chromes.

2. GP801

GP801 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 W209 CLK, 2005 R171 SLK in UK, 1995 S124 E280 in Italy
    I was at my local dealer last week for some small bits for the 124. There was a guy there asking for a front bumper for a 124 convertible. No stock anywhere UK or Germany. Turns out the 124 bumpers are the same on coupe, saloon, estate and convertible so there are no bumpers available new for any of the thousands of these still on the road. Not surprising insurance companies write them off after minor shunts.

3. ianrandom

ianrandom Active Member

Berks mainly, UK. Devon too a lot of the time.
    Car:
    1986 420SE, 1990 420SEC, 1989 2CV6.
    Apparently they change their prices constantly in response to various factors, almost weekly it seems sometimes?
    I've seen on forums where they put an alert out to other members when certain parts dip particularly low.

4. moonloops

moonloops MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C350 CDI AMG Sport
    It is called supply and demand...

5. trapperjohn

trapperjohn MB Enthusiast

Car:
    124 300D 24V Estate
    Yup. Parts Manager at MB Blackburn said last week that prices of parts for 201s and 124s are geting higher and higher.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  6. nick mercedes

nick mercedes MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    They'll make x many thousand in a batch and sell them over x many months/years and then when that batch runs out they'll make another batch.

In between making a batch of parts the price of raw materials labour will rise so the next batch will cost considerably more.

As the cars get older the fleet of them gets smaller, so the batch sizes get smaller and the price per piece gets higher...

1 person likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    CCAALLVVIINN

CCAALLVVIINN MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GL 350cdi, W126 300SE, Land Rover 109 2.6
    Ha ha, as the title suggested!

I call it daylight robbery!

8. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    You can order plates online from several firms in Ireland, the plates are made to your own design - any shape or size (they even have a font that is called UK Legal - I wonder if that means that the other twenty or so fonts are not..). You can even fake your supplying dealer signature at the bottom if you like. Just pay by credit card and get plates by post, no questions asked.

9. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    I think the original price was a mistake, those trims have never been £60... I ordered mine years ago and they were £120 each for the corners back then, the long bits were pushing £200 each....

10. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '99 S320 W140 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    Is that maybe for SEC ones , Jay ?

I think saloon ones are/were cheaper ?

Good , used ones are even less , but hard to find these days .

11. Chrishazle

Chrishazle MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 S204 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 facelift SLK280 Auto.
    Don't forget to try partsreunited.co.uk once you have the part number - you may get lucky! I've had mixed results for both cars, but if nothing else you may get a price so you can haggle with your local dealer!